Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experiences while serving in the FAA?

caldee22

Lantern Swinger
So I seem to have found myself at a point were Boredom is at maximum effect. And I was hoping that people could share some of their good or bad experiences with me? Sorry if this is considered off topic, but I feel it is relevant as I'm joining as an AET sometime next year.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Good points:

Numerous detachments to the States & Europe.

Some cracking drafts,

90% of the people I worked with.

JMC's shore side at Kinloss (Canberra Days)

Qualifications earned helped me get a good job when I left.

Winning the sports lottery (£17)

Exped in San Francisco (kayaking)

Bad Points:

10% of the people I worked with.

JMC's embarked

Weekending from Culdrose in the 80's

Losing a housemate to suicide (PTSD from Kosavo)

Not winning the big one on the sports lottery, must have spent thousands over the years!

My old boss in the Harrier Training School, hope he's shitting pineapples!

caldee22

Lantern Swinger
Some of that sounds amazing, especially the travel! But the sad thing is I've heard a lot of people mention friends lost to PDST, sorry for your loss.

Thanks mate, it was 10 years ago. The weird thing is his best mate did it 4 weeks ago, stress and depression.

No I didn't share a house with him! But did know him quite well.

More good stuff:

Kandahar, however flight in and out was horrendous.

Detaching to Tonopah (NTTR) Google it.

caldee22

Lantern Swinger
No worries, regardless I can imagine it to effect anyone around the person. And I'm sorry to hear that also; I couldn't imagine losing any of my mates :/ but unfortunately these things happen as bad as it sounds. I just wish the British government did more to prevent it!

Were you an AET by any chance? Sounds silly but you can have been an aircraft handler etc.

No worries, regardless I can imagine it to effect anyone around the person. And I'm sorry to hear that also; I couldn't imagine losing any of my mates :/ but unfortunately these things happen as bad as it sounds. I just wish the British government did more to prevent it!

Were you an AET by any chance? Sounds silly but you can have been an aircraft handler etc.

I joined as a JAEM, Radio/Radar trade, however left as as POAEM (Avionics) after being multi - skilled to Greenie as well. My best man was a chockhead, he was really good at delivering the invitations! :)

Last edited:

caldee22

Lantern Swinger
Ahaha sounds good, I'm looking forward to getting out to the Far East. Always wanted to go there and the navy is a good way to do it. Plus I'm doing a HNC in aircraft engineering at the moment and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some of the aircraft! Hopefully I get trained on the F-35

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
Had a few good trips out to the far east, a month in Singapore when the ship broke down and a few trips to the states. Enjoyed the global trip on 2000.
Looking at the globe there are still a few places I want to go but I think I might now have to start paying for those visits.
Would I do it again? Oh yes. Lots of good times had and many great memories.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

caldee22

Lantern Swinger
Sounds amazing, I'm hoping for the same. I often wonder why people don't consider the navy a lot more? What was Australia like by the way?

Pontius

War Hero
Well good luck mate, I did the outback 88 tour on the ark.

Hmmmm, curiouser and curiouser. With Wild Bill Covington as the boss, that would have put us on the same squadron at the same time. Luckily for you I always had bombheads in my division or else I might have ended up as your DO (and a Sub Lt to boot) :eek:mfg:

Hmmmm, curiouser and curiouser. With Wild Bill Covington as the boss, that would have put us on the same squadron at the same time. Luckily for you I always had bombheads in my division or else I might have ended up as your DO (and a Sub Lt to boot) :eek:mfg:

I was a zoomie hating pinger at the time :)

Did you have big Dave Ingram in your division?

Last edited:

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
I had a good time in Oz. First saw my wife there. Not until later did I speak to her. (Is that a good thing? ;) I hope Mrs RM doesn't read this)
Spent time blatting around the sand dunes in a monster bus and the touristy stuff was great.

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
I was a zoomie hating pinger at the time :)

Did you have big Dave Ingram in your division?

That's a name from the past, he must have always been on there as he was there when I joined the bags on there in 92

2_deck_dash

War Hero
Good points:

Numerous detachments to the States & Europe.

Some cracking drafts,

90% of the people I worked with.

JMC's shore side at Kinloss (Canberra Days)

Qualifications earned helped me get a good job when I left.

Winning the sports lottery (£17)

Exped in San Francisco (kayaking)

Bad Points:

10% of the people I worked with.

JMC's embarked

Weekending from Culdrose in the 80's

Losing a housemate to suicide (PTSD from Kosavo)

Not winning the big one on the sports lottery, must have spent thousands over the years!

My old boss in the Harrier Training School, hope he's shitting pineapples!

Liar.

Everyone knows it's only fat stewards who win the sports lottery. 17 quid? That's enough for about 5 whole pints. Do you take us for mugs or something?

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Liar.

Everyone knows it's only fat stewards who win the sports lottery. 17 quid? That's enough for about 5 whole pints. Do you take us for mugs or something?

I wasn't a fat steward but I did win £500 on the sports lottery. It didn't last long.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
Sorry I meant fat steward or wren.

How come wrens always win first prize in the deployment raffle? It was a Puegeot 206 on my last trip and some fat stinking comms bird won it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Your unique experiences can help you stand out MoD News 0
MoD_RSS London seminar: Reducing and preventing childhood vulnerabilities and adverse childhood experiences MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: British success stories Wallace & Gromit and Peaky Blinders to feature in next generation entertainment experiences MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Academy SW seminar: Working to improve the lives of those exposed to Adverse Childhood Experiences MoD News 0
KCMHR Imagine Impact of challenging military experiences research Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS News story: New immersive designs to transform audience experiences MoD News 0
P GDMO experiences? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
MoD_RSS News story: New immersive designs to transform audience experiences MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Building new, digital visitor experiences: apply for contracts MoD News 0
M AET experiences The Fleet Air Arm 5
C Pilot officer pipeline experiences The Fleet Air Arm 9
FusionJCE Non-Food Allergies - Experiences and Appeals Health & Fitness 5
MaiBelle Experiences of a novice sailor Diamond Lil's 18
N Looking for advice/tips/experiences... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
F ACLO - People's experiences... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
S Studying part-time - Your experiences? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
C Research - Military Experiences of the Natural World. Current Affairs 1
C Requesting Childhood Memories/experiences Nearest & Dearest 1
A Soldier recounts experiences in Selly Oak Current Affairs 7
P Holiday while in the military Joining the Royal Navy 13
MoD_RSS Adapting MINUSMA while working toward lasting peace in Mali MoD News 0
crash_evans How is the RN training new recruits while social distancing? Joining the Royal Navy 10
G Mobile number changed while on leave UPO 4
MoD_RSS Chance to ‘win while you save’ with new credit union prize account MoD News 0
MoD_RSS South East car mechanic banned for trading while insolvent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Clothes designed to grow as children age could mean savings for parents while cutting waste MoD News 0
E Joining RN while diagnosed with Asperger's Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
JBNVY18 Joining the RN while partner is serving too! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
L Injuries while under going phase 2 Health & Fitness 7
MoD_RSS Press release: Financial Services bosses banned for trading while insolvent MoD News 0
C Applying while at university Joining the Royal Navy 4
K Triage phone call while overseas Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
R Royal Navy training while in URNU Joining the Royal Navy 9
M Self-harm and suicide attempts while serving Submariners 7
A Payment of rent/Phone bill etc while training Joining the Royal Navy 11
J Passed AIB with a near Perfect Score, what can I do while I wait? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 41
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary wishes troops Merry Christmas while in Poland on NATO visit MoD News 0
P 'Top Gun' Royal Navy pilot who took on Taliban while fyling upside down still waiting to bring Ameri The Fleet Air Arm 24
B Pay while at HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 5
N Joining while married to a Russian Joining the Royal Navy 19
R Driving ban while signing up Joining the Royal Navy 24
I Driving conviction while waiting to join Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
L What to do with car insurance while deployed Motoring 5
T Running motivation while training. Look out for "Park Run". Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
M What is a Warfare Officers role while alongside? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
C Best places visited while serving? Travel & The Great Outdoors 57
J what are holdidays/leave like while in and out of training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C Traveling while waiting to join? The Fleet Air Arm 4
exJenny Number Plates (While you wait) Guzz Motoring 15
C RMR while at University RMR 10