Experiences while serving in the FAA?

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by caldee22, Oct 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So I seem to have found myself at a point were Boredom is at maximum effect. And I was hoping that people could share some of their good or bad experiences with me? Sorry if this is considered off topic, but I feel it is relevant as I'm joining as an AET sometime next year.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Good points:

Numerous detachments to the States & Europe.

Some cracking drafts,

90% of the people I worked with.

JMC's shore side at Kinloss (Canberra Days)

Qualifications earned helped me get a good job when I left.

Winning the sports lottery (£17)

Exped in San Francisco (kayaking)

Bad Points:

10% of the people I worked with.

JMC's embarked

Weekending from Culdrose in the 80's

Losing a housemate to suicide (PTSD from Kosavo)

Not winning the big one on the sports lottery, must have spent thousands over the years!

My old boss in the Harrier Training School, hope he's shitting pineapples!

3. Some of that sounds amazing, especially the travel! But the sad thing is I've heard a lot of people mention friends lost to PDST, sorry for your loss.

4. Thanks mate, it was 10 years ago. The weird thing is his best mate did it 4 weeks ago, stress and depression.

No I didn't share a house with him! But did know him quite well.

More good stuff:

Kandahar, however flight in and out was horrendous.

Detaching to Tonopah (NTTR) Google it.

5. No worries, regardless I can imagine it to effect anyone around the person. And I'm sorry to hear that also; I couldn't imagine losing any of my mates :/ but unfortunately these things happen as bad as it sounds. I just wish the British government did more to prevent it!

Were you an AET by any chance? Sounds silly but you can have been an aircraft handler etc.

6. I joined as a JAEM, Radio/Radar trade, however left as as POAEM (Avionics) after being multi - skilled to Greenie as well. My best man was a chockhead, he was really good at delivering the invitations! :)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  7. Ahaha sounds good, I'm looking forward to getting out to the Far East. Always wanted to go there and the navy is a good way to do it. Plus I'm doing a HNC in aircraft engineering at the moment and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some of the aircraft! Hopefully I get trained on the F-35

8. Well good luck mate, I did the outback 88 tour on the ark.

9. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

Had a few good trips out to the far east, a month in Singapore when the ship broke down and a few trips to the states. Enjoyed the global trip on 2000.
    Looking at the globe there are still a few places I want to go but I think I might now have to start paying for those visits.
    Would I do it again? Oh yes. Lots of good times had and many great memories.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

10. Sounds amazing, I'm hoping for the same. I often wonder why people don't consider the navy a lot more? What was Australia like by the way?

11. Hmmmm, curiouser and curiouser. With Wild Bill Covington as the boss, that would have put us on the same squadron at the same time. Luckily for you I always had bombheads in my division or else I might have ended up as your DO (and a Sub Lt to boot) :eek:mfg:

12. I was a zoomie hating pinger at the time :)

Did you have big Dave Ingram in your division?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  13. redmonkey

I had a good time in Oz. First saw my wife there. Not until later did I speak to her. (Is that a good thing? ;) I hope Mrs RM doesn't read this)
    Spent time blatting around the sand dunes in a monster bus and the touristy stuff was great.

14. redmonkey

That's a name from the past, he must have always been on there as he was there when I joined the bags on there in 92

15. Liar.

Everyone knows it's only fat stewards who win the sports lottery. 17 quid? That's enough for about 5 whole pints. Do you take us for mugs or something?

• Like Like x 1
  16. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I wasn't a fat steward but I did win £500 on the sports lottery. It didn't last long.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren.

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Which branch were you, then?

18. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Can't tell you.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ah well, another witty retort foiled. :frown:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sorry I meant fat steward or wren.

How come wrens always win first prize in the deployment raffle? It was a Puegeot 206 on my last trip and some fat stinking comms bird won it.