Expanding the Navy again

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think the RN ,as it is presently constituted, has limited relevance to global war in the 21st Century and beyond
I take from this and your other posts you really don't understand 21st Century warfare. I'd contend that we are in fact already engaged in what some term pre-phase 0 warfare now and the RN is heavily involved in that as it extends well beyond simple kinetic effect.

If you look further into the future and consider issues such as global warming, resource depletion and mass humanity migration (all of which are starting to have an effect) you can see how having a strong , flexible Navy will be of the utmost importance.

...Carriers...proved to be pretty useful at the outset of HERRICK, allowing coalition (FR and US) aircraft to operate from sea based sovereign locations whilst overflight and host basing agreements were being established. Pretty hard to achieve that and the CAS/ISR without carrier based aircraft...
The carriers were very useful yes and provided the majority of CAS sorties for the first few weeks of OEF. However, the majority of ordinance dropped and strikes were carried out by USAF land based assets, mostly B-1Bs, B-52s and F-15Es. Meanwhile, C2 and ISR was conducted almost exclusively by land based types such as E-3, RJ, E-8s, U-2s, P-3s, Nimrods etc.

As ever, land and carrier based Air Power are complementary and each have their pros and cons.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
[QUOTE="

As ever, land and carrier based Air Power are complementary and each have their pros and cons.

Regards,
MM[/QUOTE]

Agree. Especially if Australia hasn't been moved on the map.........

Agree. Especially if Australia hasn't been moved on the map.........
Would this be the move for which no evidence can be found in the public archives despite the briefing maps being available? :)

I think you'll find I made some very positive comments regarding Maritime Power earlier in this thread. However, it's important balance is maintained.

Regards,
MM

Would this be the move for which no evidence can be found in the public archives despite the briefing maps being available? :)

I think you'll find I made some very positive comments regarding Maritime Power earlier in this thread. However, it's important balance is maintained.

Regards,
MM
Methinks Cinderella might protest too much......:)

And I did agree with your point re land and carrier based Air Power being complementary!

metocman

Lantern Swinger
Here's a few ideas:
  • Lets not pay some factory to wrap bolts individually and charge about £480 when I order a thousand.
  • Lets get B&Q to supply the lav seats for warships. I've got a BR320 screenshot for a toilet seat, £200!
  • Write contracts that don't sting the RN or the MOD if things don't work out, and don't get taken for a ride
  • Don't design a propulsion plant with mild steel components that are key to fuel efficiency and engine reliability (T45's, I'm looking at you and your sh*e recuperators!)
  • If you're injured or sick then concentrate on getting better and getting back to the fleet, don't play on it and sit in waterfront for five years with your thumb up your hoop
  • f you're downgraded for a false reason and can't do your job, don't sit shore side for ten years taking up valuable shore side billets for the lads and lasses who have had double sea drafts interspersed only with a QC (which is apparently harmony time, which is bs unless you live ten minutes away from pompey!) put your chit in and get out. Its time the RN developed a culture that didn't promote sitting shoreside forever because you're too scared of being away from home.
All very sensible points but am sure they have all been said a dozen times before and we still don't see things changing. Maybe if procurement was handled better we could afford more units to serve on. With the last point, its for that very reason I will not be doing the 2OE extra five years. The only thing left for me during that time would be several years sitting shore side which is not what I joined up for.

It used to be when I heard senior members of the mob saying "its just not the Navy I joined" that I genuinely didn't know what they meant. Twenty years later and I now know what they meant!

Listened to a certain lord in parliament, why did he not do something when he was in charge, but as another First Sea lord stated you don't get Knighted by rocking the boat.

Seadog

War Hero
Listened to a certain lord in parliament, why did he not do something when he was in charge, but as another First Sea lord stated you don't get Knighted by rocking the boat.
A famous general said of the relationship between the civilian control of the military and the military:

It is our duty to give the Government our best advice. We can’t insist on being obeyed but we can insist on being heard.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M Sports and Adventure Training 1
M Finance & Pensions 4