Exercising on hard floors

WannabeAdmiral

Lantern Swinger
Being skinny, the bones on my back and the pelvis area (is it the tailbone? I think that's it) poke out a bit. While being skinny is nice in many ways, it means it hurts to do sit ups on hard floors.

I can move slightly to the side as I raise and lower myself so that I don't pivot over the tailbone and hurt it, and if I go slowly down I can avoid slamming my spine on the floor, but clearly I'll have to be able to do it properly in training.

Short of gaining weight (which is difficult, at least for me) does anyone have any ways I can try to work on this problem?

Last edited:
Apologies for sounding like a sarcastic @R$3 but have you tried exercising on softer surfaces?

On a serious note I'd have thought gym mats would be available, however I can neither confirm or dismiss this being in selection process so wouldn't mind hearing more too!

WannabeAdmiral

Lantern Swinger
I do when I'm at home, but I can't imagine during training the PTIs will give me a mat. Hopefully someone who's recently done phase 1 can confirm.

pompeyexpat

War Hero
Actually the IMF circuits at Dartmouth were on a mat for crunches etc, from what I remember. That said, a lot of other exercises weren't, being outside as they were.

As for advice? I'm afraid I can't be much more helpful than offering 'get better at dealing with the pain'.

WannabeAdmiral

Lantern Swinger
Well, at least I can be in comfort for some of the time.

Though I imagine I'll be making use of the second part of your post for a lot more than just sit ups and crunches!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Back in the day, I used to do A LOT of sit ups. Roll onto your right bum cheek for one, then the left for the next etc, so as you continue into the hundreds, it is 'up roll right, down, up roll left, down, up roll right' - this will prevent a raw sore patch on your coccyx. RN crunchies are somewhat different, as you are already half way up and just 'crunching' so no wear on coccyx.

Happy to help!

Archangel

Badgeman
Have you tried padded compression shorts? They might look a bit funny under normal exercise shorts, but you can definitely get ones with a padded-arse area (technical term, of course).

A lot of mountain-bikers and paintballers wear them, seems like it could work.

WannabeAdmiral

Lantern Swinger
That's the best way of describing it I've seen! I do that currently if I try it on hard floors - roll slightly to the side.

I'll definitely remember to alternate between the two cheeks, normally I only last a couple before I move onto the rug.

Thanks!

Edit: Archangel, are those allowed for training at Dartmouth? It'd certainly work at home, but I'd like to get a permanent solution sorted now rather than spend the first few weeks at BRNC (assuming I get in, of course) being unable to sit down!

pompeyexpat

War Hero
Certainly nobody checked my pants at Dartmouth, but the PT shorts aren't the longest and I can imagine you'd get picked up if your padded shorts showed out the bottom. There are shorter (i.e. not cycling) versions but I've never actually seen any in the flesh so to speak, so don't know how long they are.

Real Name

Midshipman
For the 'main group' of IMF (sit ups etc) you get mats.

The only time in IMF you don't get mats and have to do sit ups is in the warm up.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Naval_Gazer QNLZ starts earning her keep by exercising 'soft power' The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS News story: 1,500 British troops exercising with NATO allies in Europe MoD News 0
R Exercising before a medical. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
S over exercising? Health & Fitness 11
MoD_RSS eAlert: 15 May 2020 - working hard to provide our services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Soft power with a hard edge: harnessing the benefits of fast-moving markets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Action cameras help teams to inspect hard-to-reach structures MoD News 0
J Eye Test results in hard copy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Foreign Office ramps up support for ‘hard to reach’ Brits MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Avoiding a hard border in Northern Ireland in a no deal scenario MoD News 0
couper172 Hard choice to make ! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS Speech: Hard as well as soft power: the case for modern defence MoD News 0
W How hard is it to become a pilot? The Fleet Air Arm 20
Jacobus Hard not to be moved by this. Vale History 1
chrismonc87 Why is it so hard to run with cold and blocked nose!! Health & Fitness 32
Merlin28 Why is a sea draft so hard to get The Quarterdeck 33
T Hard of Hearing Blue Jokes 0
BillyNoMates They're not as hard as they like to make out. Diamond Lil's 18
wet_blobby The hard working Marines on HMS Fearless... The Corps 34
X.R.D Gimme your hard earned!!! Charity 17
soleil Mail: "Hard-Up MoD Spends £9 Million On Recruitment... Despite Laying Off Staff" Current Affairs 5
soleil Mail: "One Pranged Sub Etc - How The Hard-Up MoD Wasted £110m Of Our Money" Current Affairs 5
soleil Navy News: "Commandos Keeping Insurgents In Check – But Still 'Hard Work To Be Done'" The Corps 0
The_Caretaker Hard Miscellaneous 0
C Hard Decision!!!!!! Submariners 23
stan_the_man my hard as fcuk cat Diamond Lil's 8
S Feeling hard done by History 2
M hard to reach information for new applicants The Gash Barge 2
2_deck_dash My pussy is hard as nails. Diamond Lil's 13
JonnoJonno SF hard-on thread Diamond Lil's 29
T Is Raleigh considered hard? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
soleil 1SL defends Navy and insists Britain must keep 'hard power' Current Affairs 16
Clown_Puncher Smoking: Big, hard AND clever Diamond Lil's 23
NotmeChief ‘Todger-chop woman's sentence depends on hard evidence’ The Quarterdeck 3
K Hard Drive Help Bloody Computers 7
Montigny_La_Palisse Think Bruno's funny? He's not a patch on Hard Gay. Hooo! Diamond Lil's 7
trelawney126 Hello mum this is going to be hard for you to read Current Affairs 19
Scarface2009 find it hard to loose fat Health & Fitness 11
T Hard pressed bankers vs the rest Current Affairs 11
Oil_Slick HARD GAY MAN!!!! Diamond Lil's 5
wave_dodger ANOTHER Forces personnel hard drive missing Current Affairs 27
golden_rivet its a hard life ... :) :) :) The Quarterdeck 12
slim NOW A TAX ON HARD WORK! Diamond Lil's 15
Seaweed It's a hard life being an Israeli jet jockey Diamond Lil's 1
G Ganges62- THE HARD OF HEARING THREAD! Diamond Lil's 129
creddly Medical Tomorrow - Hard Parts Over Though... Or Is It? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
CRYSTALTIPS Personally i find this hard to believe!!!! The Gash Barge 4
golden_rivet "...this is so hard ..." Current Affairs 17
H Hard to swallow Current Affairs 9
P HARD ON Diamond Lil's 20