Exercising before a medical.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by RhysHar, Jul 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know the sheet says no protein supplements a week before, which isn't an issue as I don't really use them. However, exercise 48hrs before is a bit of a concern, as I went to the gym this morning and I've got my medical in less than 48hrs.

Will it affect the results or will I be okay?

2. Yes, I know, I'd completely forgot about the exercise part until I looked at the directions sheet and saw it on there. I can follow simple instructions, I've just had an absolute shocker this time unfortunately:sad:

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

SgtP, any idea of the current rate, 1 days pay, 1 days leave?

4. Just out of pure curiosity, any medical bods able to explain why on Earth you shouldn't exercise 48hrs before a medical?

5. Is that something you'd like me to ask him on Tuesday and let you know? I'm interested as well, considering it's me who's gonna be in the s*** if they can tell.

6. Just a guess, but i would have thought its something to do with muscle soreness or stiffness, if you have a heavy workout to the point were your muscles are very stiff the next couple of days it could restrict the movement they can do, as in the medical you are made to do all sorts of stretches and walks etc, I'm sure somebody will be along to correct me soon.

7. Most likely to make sure that your body is at rest for various flexibility tests, bloody pressure and heart rate etc and to make sure they dont mis diagnose any issues as a result, but that's purely a guess based on when we used to do physical assessments of sports test subjects at uni (lab research). Angry Doc or some other permanently exasperated med guru will be along to answer our fevered dribbling a soon enough I'm sure.

8. THE DUCK WALK!!! Quack. God I hated that.

9. Haha, in the middle of my duck waddle I started laughing, just because I knew I looked like a nob!

• Like Like x 1
  10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Sorry, I'm afraid there is no legislation for stupidity... :shock:

11. NOTE - I am NOT a medical person, but it may have something to do with this.......

Many, many moons ago I had my Ship's Diver medical at 1400 on a certain day. So, being the norm I went to the gym at lunch time - it being nearly Brickwoods time, we got a beasting. Quick shower, off to the sickbay, wee in this bottle Chief etc. Um, I just need to check your wee again.... and again.

To cut a very long story short (and many visits to people wearing latex gloves.....) it seems that my kidneys were allowing blood cells to pas through, due in no small measure to the gym beasting. So maybe THAT is why for your very first medical hey say 48 hours.

Standing by to be corrected or agreed with!!

12. Sonar-Bender is on the right tracks, there are a few more reasons to why you should not exercise before a blood test.
    I found a link which has the best info on runners world. Copied the info below.

An acute bout of exercise can cause a number of "abnormal" laboratory results. A urine test may be positive for blood. This may be due to bleeding from the bladder or kidneys; this is usually not visible to the naked eye, but is detectable in the lab. This resolves within 24 to 72 hours after exercise. If blood is still found on subsequent testing, further evaluation is indicated.
    Protein may be detected in the urine within 30 minutes of strenuous exercise. This will clear within 24 to 48 hours. (Persistent signs of this condition warrant further evaluation.)
    A positive test for blood in the urine may be due to myoglobin released from muscles injured during exercise; when evaluated under a microscope, red blood cells aren't seen. When myoglobin levels are high, the urine will be dark in color, like iced tea. Blood levels of myoglobin and the muscle enzyme creatine kinase (CK) will be elevated. Strenuous exercise in conjunction with dehydration may produce very high levels of CK in the blood and myoglobin in the blood and urine, a condition known as rhabdomyolysis. This can cause renal failure and may be fatal in severe cases. Blood levels of potassium and phosphorous may be high and calcium levels low in severe cases of rhabdomyolysis.
    Blood levels of CK are elevated following exercise. Many factors will affect the level of elevation, including the length and intensity of the exercise. Levels of CK (normal < 200U/L) greater than 200,000 U/L have been reported following the Western States 100-miler. Most athletes will have levels much lower than this following exercise.
    Recovery from the workout and good hydration will usually take care of this issue. CK levels will gradually return to normal over the next several days to a week. During bouts of heavy training, the level may remain mildly elevated chronically. The cholesterol-lowering group of medications known as statins may also increase the CK, even at rest. This can be greatly, and potentially dangerously, elevated by strenuous exercise.
    Dehydration associated with exercise may cause elevation of BUN and creatinine, two aspects of a kidney test. The BUN may be markedly elevated in the presence of severe dehydration; the creatinine may be mildly elevated. Rehydration will normalize these values.
    AST is one of the tests that evaluates liver function. This enzyme is also present in skeletal muscle; levels will be elevated following exercise. The other tests that are part of a typical liver function evaluation aren't significantly affected by exercise.
    A small amount of blood is lost from the gastrointestinal tract on a daily basis; this isn't visible to the naked eye. Strenuous exercise may increase the amount of blood lost for a day or two afterwards; although this is usually not visible, it may be detected on stool cards that are used to screen for colon cancer.
    A CBC evaluates the components that make up blood -- red cells, white cells, platelets and plasma. Following an acute bout of exercise, there's a transient increase in the white blood cells and platelets. The hematocrit will be increased from baseline when you're dehydrated.
    It's best to wait a few days following strenuous exercise to have laboratory studies performed to lower the possibility of a result that's altered by exercise. The alteration in lab studies as a result of exercise should resolve within a few days. The first step in evaluating abnormal results may be to repeat the studies after several days of minimal training.

13. Exercise means muscle work which means protein production which means detectable protein in urine which can mean medically unfit pending investigation. As has been said, the instructions are pretty straightforward. You may have delayed your entry. You may not have. Depends if you're a man or a boy at the gym.

14. Suppose the easier answer for the chap who asked is ..... Because that's what it says on the letter.

15. I failed my initial joining medical due to protein urea (Protein in your piss.)

I had to go down to Haslar for a series of tests to ensure I didn't have dodgy kidneys.

Turns out protein urea is very common in teenage boys due to an increased amount of physical activity and the fact that most 15 year old lads are teasing one out four or five times a day.

Knowing me, I'd probably had a tug in the heads in the surgery waiting room over a 3 year old copy of Hello magazine.

Along with avoiding phyzz, It might be best to refrain from throwing yourself around a few hours before the medical.

16. RhysHar;1158066]I know the sheet says no protein supplements a week before, which isn't an issue as I don't really use them. However, exercise 48hrs before is a bit of a concern, as I went to the gym this morning and I've got my medical in less than 48hrs.

Will it affect the results or will I be okay?[/QUOTE]

Exercising is advised against for 48hrs before the medical due to the urine test completed during the examination. The reason is that sometimes after exercise, protein can be detected in the urine, which will result in you not passing the medical first time. It isn't generally a big problem, but you will have to 'pee clear', ie, no protein before you will progress.

17. Nemesis

You may consider yourself a guru of medical policy but I suggest you become a guru of reading the thread before responding. Basic forum etiquette.

AD
    Mod

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (iOS)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Roger your last AD. Small screen, didn't notice the other page - oops!.

19. Right guys, he's correct, the protein is the reason for no exercise 48hrs before.

But no sweat, passed the medical first time despite doing exercise Sunday morning! Thanks for all your support.

Edit; angrydoc, I assume this means I'm a boy at the gym.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  20. He's correct?

A qualified doctor serving in the Royal Navy correct about this?

Bet he's relieved.

• Like Like x 1