Exercise Cascade, March 1956

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Seaweed, Feb 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I've just found a journal note from 1956, which I precis as follows:

Between 8th and 10th March 1956, during the Home Fleet's Exercise Cascade in the western Mediterranean, HMS Ark Royal - so new that her deck edge lift was still with the builders - lost five aircrew in a day, when a Sea Venom went missing and a Gannet, which had just taken off to look for the Sea Venom, banked on leaving the deck and spun in.

Those lost should have been recorded on the Armed Forces Memorial. I have an email id for checking this if anyone has the names.

Part of the 'Price of Admiralty'.

3. I knew Paddy Ramplin at Eglinton and on runs ashore in Londonderry. What a character, one of the best.
    We were all saddened when we heard the news of the accident.

4. With thanks to Lieutenant Brian Grindley RN, Rtd - My friend, Norman Cleary and I, both Leading Telegraphists (Aircrew), were trained by 'Paddy' on different courses. It was understood at the time that the aircraft (believed to be a Gannet of 824 Sqn flying from HMS Eagle) had hit the carrier's round down on their landing approach but I cannot find anyone now to confirm this.

5. Seaweed

Def Ark which was on Ex Cascade - went onboard her in Gib when the ex was over, v interesting as she was so brand new. But I was not a witness to what happened.

6. Seaweed

7. To my knowledge Ark Royal did not have a deck edge lift, she certainly did not have one when I served on her.

8. If this excerpt is accurate, she had one when first commissioned but it was later removed:

I wonder why.

9. Seaweed

The 4.5s were removed because, with the angled deck, they were pretty well unusable. I think the space was faired over - for accommodation? must hav ebeen a bit noisy if so.