Exemplary Expenses

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Potential_Officer, Aug 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. General Sir Richard Dannatt has recently had several attempts, by allegedly Labour Politicians, to expose his expenses. It does indeed make sorry reading...

... for the fatcats in Westminster. Whilst they have the John Lewis list, the outgoing Head of the British Army puts them to shame, by shopping at Lidl and putting on a dinner for 14 people for £80. Perhaps those MPs harping on about how much more they need to earn should take some time to examine how to live honourably when someone else is footing the bill!

2. I was shocked. Dine 14 people on £80!!!!! o_O

I spend more than that on a single bottle of Dom Perignon!
  3. Further sorry reading, if you missed it first time around:

Here follows a similar example of ‘Expenses, MPs versus Military’.

DT headline May 11: MPs' expenses:

The hypocrisy of many Members of Parliament is given short shrift in the court of public opinion

From DT Letters, May 11

Quote<<<<SIR – After I returned from three months in the South Atlantic in 1982, I received a letter from a government department.
    It informed me that I had considerably underspent my allowance for official entertainment.
    Accordingly, they reduced my daily rate and backdated it for the full year I had been in post.
    I now owed them £600, which they would deduct from my pay for that July.

I thought this fair. Although "by the rules" I might have expected the original allowance to continue, who was I to grumble if this was how they wished to play it?

I wonder whether this backdating might be any kind of useful precedent for MPs' expenses.
    The rules were clearly too loosely, if not negligently, applied. They are now being reviewed.
    If the new rates are backdated in accordance with the rules applied to me, the balance should be recovered directly by deduction from the pay of those MPs concerned.

Admiral Sir John Woodward
    Bosham, West Sussex>>>>Unquote

All at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/...rt-shrift-in-the-court-of-public-opinion.html

‘plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose’ Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr