Exclusive: The Lariam scandal - MoD ‘ignored decades of warnings about dangers of sui

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SJRM_RN, Sep 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well arn't I glad I never take the stuff!

2. They gave us Malarone every time I deployed.

No one ever got Malaria so it must've worked. Doesn't appear to have given me any adverse side effects.

To be honest I thought they'd stopped using Larium years ago.

3. I'm pretty sure we got chloroquine the last couple of times I needed malaria stuff.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

4. Drinking alcohol also stops you getting malaria. I've tested this theory extensively.

Also prevents AIDS and gout.

• Like Like x 2
  5. The only port that gives me the ache is Portsmouth.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I drink a lot of port and I don't have gout.

You must be mistaken.

I also don't have a broken leg - Fact, Port prevents broken limbs.

7. Larium always gave me fantastic dreams and even better was the fact that you could get up for a wazz in the middle of the night and then go back to sleep and pick up the dream where you left off. It didn't work so well for my Royal Engineers oppo who tried to go flying out of a 4th storey window in Mozambique when in a Larium induced confusion. Thankfully he was stopped before he launched himself into the Maputo night sky!

8. Middle and late 60's when in the Far Flung, we were given Paludrine (Proguanil) tablets to take daily. We spent a lot of time up Country Malaya on 848 NACS. I still caught Malaria even though I took it religiously.