Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Gazza82, Oct 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello
    Question again I have just found excema patches on my arm and back. I just wondered if this is going to affect me joining the RN?
    I am going to goto the doctors next week about it and hopefully it will be gone by the time I join. (Not even got a date yet) but I'm worried if it doesnt go by the time I join will the medics in Ralleigh discharge me before I even join?

Thanks in advance for all replies
  2. I can not give THE answer, but I had excema for most of my career of 30 + years, funny thing I have never had a bout of it since leaving :thumright:
  3. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I've also had excema for about 20 years, although fairly mild and only on my knees and elbows, I didn't have it when I joined up though so I don't know if it's an issue, it certainly hasn't whilst I've been in.
  4. Sounds like psoriasis hun-- which can be hereditory or stress related.

I suffer from it- african shea butter clears it up a treat (available from Avon, or boots!!)
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Gazza, have you passed your medical examination to join the services yet ?

If you have & it was not found to be a problem, then as long as you declared it and it's not incapacitating you should be OK.

If you haven't had your medical examination, then you must declare it & it will be further investigated as necessary. If you do not declare it & it subsequently comes to light after you join, you can be discharged for witholding information. (Fraudulent application).

The main issues are whether it will affect you doing your job, for example: Food Handling or working with oils & greases. Often, but not always, it can be linked to asthma.
  6. Well I passed my medical but did not have it at the time and didn't know I would get it so the AFCO and inspecting GP don't know about it. Its the first time I have had it and don't know how I got it.
    Don't you get a medical examination at ralleigh? And do I have to tell my AFCO about it?
  7. You obviously dont have it very bad at all.Hyperkeritanisation,or Psoriasis,is both stress and Hereditory as you say.In the very mildest of cases moisturisers do work as you remove the keratinocytes off when applying the ointment.Psoriasis is a very stubborn thing to treat,an the treatments havent really changed in the last 30 odd years apart from the introduction of Vit D3 Analogues.

The patches may just be dry skin,best to see the quack,but im sure heel give you a tube of hydrocortisone 1% cream and come back if no better!
  8. Surely these are carpet burns Chief?
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

When you get a provisional entry date, you will also be sent a medical declaration form, on which you must declare whether you have visited your GP or received medical treatment since your Medical examination organised through your AFCO. As long as you declare it on that form before your pre-entry brief, you will have fulfilled your obligation.

The only thing I'd suggest is that you are careful you treat it properly as the last thing you need in phase one training is an outbreak of eczema to hinder you.

Good luck & hope it gets better very soon.
  10. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

No but they're irritating as well. :happy8:
  11. Thanks for all the help .
    Thanks NS very helpfull information :) :thumright:

12. I hope that isn't 'immigrant' African shea butter BH ...

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:
  13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Crawling to the bosses can cause it to flare up on the knees and elbows I understand :thumright:

14. Volunteers for rubbing it in form a queue!! :thumright:
  15. As long as it's not on the hands or feet it's not normally too bad. The letters I've seen flying about normally go along the lines of "Can he do RASes? Can he serve food?". It depends what branch you're going to be as well. No-one really wants a STD serving food with skin dripping off their hands.
  16. Eczema on one's back! o_O

I have patches of it growing very slowly on me, though mine is apparently not a skin condition but a lymphatic abnormality.

If it doesn't wax and wane, I would suggest getting it examined, especially if you suffer from drenching night sweats.