Examples of Leadership

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by craigos, Jul 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,
    Im reasonably new on here to just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. Had my careers laison interview the other day and he said i clearly have leadership experience but i just need to think of clear examples formy sift interview. I am 29 and have been an active rugby player since 13. I have captained two unbeaten sides, captained my shooting team at school, captained a tens team to win a rugby tournament. I have also been responsible for organising touch rugby every week during my time at uni and recently the touch rugby tournament we had at our school reunion.
    At work i organised the companies stand at and exhibiton which i led a team of five guys.

Are these the sorts of things he was talking about as i know i am a good leader but he was not particulary clear on his questioning?

He asked me if there was ever a time i had to deal with a dispute. Off the top of my head i could not think of one.

Any advice would be good.
  2. They sound very good to me, they're better than the examples I'm planning on taking to AIB anyway. Captaining and organising are what I think they're looking for - that's what an officer does after all, captain a ship and organise other people to do things.
  3. Alright mate,
    Just not too sure of the questions he will ask regards to leadership, i know he will ask for examples of when i have had to deal with any problems as a leader etc. Be good to know the top ten favourite questions regards to the leadership party of the interview??
    have you had your RT yet? i have mine tomorrow morning. I think ill be ready for it hopefully!
  4. I think what the guy is trying to get you to prepare is not what and whom you have led but how have you done that leading. How have you coped with team members who are not performing up to scratch, how have you made sure enough people turn up to make events work. How do you deal with your staff to get the extra mile out of them.

I can tell you I have been leading/officering/managing people for over 40 years. That though tell you little about how I do it, how successful I am, and what soprt of leadership style I have. Some one who has little experience is more likely to be moldable into the RN style, but some one with oodles of experience may be stuck in their ways.
  5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I don't think there's a 'best' style (although there are several bad ones), it's a personal thing, some just sit with their arms folded and everyone just gets on with it, others are a bit more involved. Some things that do really matter are knowing your stuff technically, and theirs to the point where your underlings can't flannel you, and communicating aim and where necessary method clearly, decisively, and unambiguously, and making sure all the time that all the team know what to do and are actually doing it. Without nagging and nannying. Of course you need eyes in your arrse and second sight as well. And to know when to listen, when to discuss and when to decide. One can learn quite a lot about how not to lead by watching the Apprentice (not least from Alan Sugar!).
  6. Seaweed

1. Display the trappings, postures and gestures of dominance
    2. If challenged, threaten your subordinates aggressively
    3. Use your superior information to outwit them
    4. If that fails, do not shrink from forcibly overpowering them
    5. Stamp out their silly squabbles
    6. Buy off your immediate subordinates with status symbols
    7. Do not let anybody else persecute the weak
    8. Direct group choice of social activities
    9. Occasionally jolly the bottom ones along
    10. Be seen to defend the Empire
    Liberally paraphrased from the 'Ten Commandments of Dominance'
    (Desmond Morris, 'The Human Zoo')
  7. Hmmmm, worked for a few of those over the years, a style that became very popular in the 90s but thankfully much less common now.
  8. Seaweed

I used to keep my Baboon list pinned up over my desk in the afterlife.
  9. A junior officer in the RN does what the fukc he is told to do by senior officers and what it is strongly suggested he should do by senior ratings. When it comes to "doing things" you will be the one doing them. Any good CPO or Warrant Officer has the qualities to make you feel very, very small; if you try to come the shit with them, you are doomed my friend, doomed!!