Exam certificates

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Timmy Boy, Jan 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

If anyone has any advice for the following problem I'd be very grateful!

I intend to apply to the navy for direct graduate entry as a logistics officer, but I'm having problems providing evidence of my A-levels in the format they will accept (I'm sorted for GCSEs and my degree).

My careers officer has insisted that I must provide one of the following:
    (1) The original A-level certificates; or
    (2) A letter from my college confirming my results.

To be frank, I have no idea where my A-level certificates are, or if I even bothered to pick them up at all (yes, I see the irony of being disorganised when I want to be a logistics officer, but I got my A-levels a long time ago). However, this has not been a problem for me in higher education or employment until now.

The usual procedure in this situation is to contact one's exam board(s) for a statement confirming one's grade(s). This is sufficient for 99.999% of employers, but my careers officer insists that it's not good enough for the navy.

It struck me as odd that a letter from my college would suffice when an official statement from the exam board would not, but I decided to humour the careers officer by asking my college to provide one. Unfortunately, they were unable to bring my records up because they've changed their computer system since I was there, so this was not an option either.

I contacted the navy's main recruitment line, and unfortunately they were unable to offer much guidance on the point. They seemed to be suggesting that it's ultimately down to what my careers officer is willing to accept and that I should explain my position to him, but I don't think he's prepared to budge, even though I explained to him that I could not have gone on to do my degree or barrister training otherwise.

Is there an official policy on what the navy will and will not accept as proof of my qualifications, or is it really just down to what any given careers officer thinks? If it's the latter, do you think it would be a good idea to try a different careers office? Or do you have any other suggestions? It just seems a bit silly to be unable to apply when I'm really keen on this career and I have more than enough qualifications for the role.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. I have several degrees in Higher Physics, Advanced Brain surgery, Super conductor theory and basketweaving. On applying to the Royal Navy for a commision they requested that I produce these degrees, I felt so insulted that I have withdrawn my application and am now aplying for a job with the council refuse department:pissedoff:
  3. One qualification you can work towards is an English GCSE, then maybe you will actually understand the posts you're responding to and spell stuff properly when you're trying to be sarcastic.
  4. Oooooh get you sailor, a bite for Slim methinks.
  5. Go work for them then. Spelling checked.
  6. Right. So I'm guessing constructive input is pretty much out of the question here.
  7. Yes and no. Come across like some self conceited twat and it's a big fat no. However, I am sure someone sensible like Soliel or Ninja will be along to pander to your requirements. So yes.
  8. Mate, I'm not being conceited. I'm just looking for advice on my situation. If people want to take the piss then I'll respond in kind.
  9. You will fit right in.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Have GCE English Grade A which is a superior qualification to GCSE.
    Also have ONC Tellecomms and HNC Micro electronics & computing.
    GCEs were taken in 1978 ONC in 1981 and HNC in 1993.
    I took the trouble to collect my certificates and all these years later I still have them in a safe place.
    So clever dick you can probably work out the cubic capacity of a tin of baked beans but are too dense to be able to open the can to eat them:blob6:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. So your insightful point is that I should have collected my A-level certificates and kept them in a safe place when I was first awarded them 9 years ago? Wow. Genius.
  12. Oh. Had me fooled. Make the most of this I don't do nice. But contact SJRMRN. He is what you want to be and will offer sensible advice.
  13. Cheers, will do.

BTW if your point is that the first bit I wrote was "conceited", you might want to go back and read slim's prior post. I'm all for piss-taking but you shouldn't dish it out if you can't take it.
  14. Of course I'm a genius, I have stored mine safely for 20 years, on the other hand, if you can't take care of important documents for as short a period as nine years let us hope that they never give you the position of Confidention Books occifer:sad7:
  15. Well, if my 18 year old self ever applies to be an "occifer" then I'm sure your words will haunt him to the grave.

16. As your personal admin is shite you should seriously consider if joining the armed forces is really for you, or them for that matter.
  17. I work as a self-employed lawyer so I'd say my admin is actually pretty good these days, what with all the tax, travel expenses, invoicing and printing of essential documents I have to sort out on top of my normal workload of legal research and advance case preparation. In fact, correcting other people's admin to stop cases from going tits up is a large unofficial part of my job because I'm the advocate and the buck stops with me.

Like I said - I got my A-levels nine years ago. At that time it would have been fair to say that I was a disorganised muppet. However, the issue fell by the wayside because I was never asked to actually produce my certificates by any university or employer.

Clearly I'm not the only applicant in this position, hence the proposed alternative of asking my school/college for a letter confirming my results.
  18. Self-employed lawyers not doing too well then in the current climate?
  19. Bit of a tangient, but I'm doing alright. It just isn't quite what I envisaged as a starry-eyed youth and I feel like I'd rather do something more positive with my qualifications. Navy logistics officer seemed like the best of the alternatives.
  20. Must admit I do think that pusser is being unnecessarily inflexible here.

Though some may think OP came across as slightly pompous and condescending it's clear from what he says that he has the academic qualifications and the ability to prove it, so why the intransigence?

To be honest though, if I was a self-employed lawyer with barrister training and all that malarky, I'd be fucked if I'd give it up to spend half my life in a floating tin box. Even less so if I'd have to wear red chinos and a pully over my shoulders with the arms crossed over my chest when I went ashore.

And go to cock and arse parties.
    • Like Like x 1