Ex submariner engineer

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by theplumber, May 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Could anyone give me an idea as to what jobs would be available after RN for an Submariner engineer. I am trying to way up about a career change and possible employment opps after 4 yrs in the RN.

Feedback much appreciated :lol:
  2. I think we need a bit more info, what quals, what experience what aspirations, how flexibkle about where you work, how important is a steady wage or are you preparted to gamble on the contracting market, etc
  3. Maxi

I think that ThePlumber is just beginning the application process to join, if that's any help.
  4. Not that promising if he is planning to get out before he gets in. Perhaps the first task is clarity of questions.
  5. Ok maxi,

Firstly as soleil says i am at the beginning of the process. Im planning on what may be available should i come out. Maxi are you a submariner?
  6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Does Holland 1 mean anything to you? :p
  7. Obviously, plumbing would be a good idea wouldn't it :). Yes, that would be my advice, go for plumbing ...
  8. What job do you want to do?? Are you only joining the RN for qualifications?? Bear in mind that you will only have the basic qualifications after 4 years service, so the jobs may be limited at that point, the longer you do the better the qualification are.

That said I go to many jobs fairs in my role as a Careers Advisor and hear many stories about companies that are always look for ex-service men to employ.

9. Supermario
    I find nothing wrong with someone joining to achieve a civilian trade and associated qualifications.
    I joined in 63 for the same reasons and left in 85. Twenty two years gave me some excellent qualifications and good civilian prospects. My mate who left after completing his nine did even better than I did getting into IT at its inception.
    Go for it! :p
  10. Its not uncommon for people to do there bit, in all honestly i have more respect for people that do their time, than the pratts you get knocking around in the streets nowadays.
  11. Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes I would be joining to better myself back in civvy. I am a fully qualified self employed Plumber aged 33 but due to the current state of affairs in the world it has become very difficult to earn a crust, mainly down to the fact that so many people have been laid off from their jobs and have jumped onto the become a plumber in 20 minutes fast track courses its saturated the industry and will be that way for a very long time to come. I would be looking to join as an engineering technician.
  12. go electrical if you can, will give you a balanced experience coupled with your plumbing knowledge when you leave.
    I'm and ex radio mechanician / articifer left in 84 and have been contracting since 87 and thought my world was my oyster until last december when Aston Martin laid me off and I entered 5 months of "bit of this and that". I have been lucky with them asking me back this month.
    If you weather the current climate in the RN and provide added value to the navy good for you. Take all the quals offered to you.
    best of luck.
  13. We're not all as old as you Janner :)