Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ex squaddie interested in joining up...

Ex_Pongo

I left the army just over 2 years ago and have a decent job in civvy street, but feel there's something missing. I assume I'd have to undergo RN basic training which I'm cool with. If I applied for an engineering role, would my NVQ and apprenticeship gained in the army and civilian experience count for anything with regards to trade training or would this be subject to assessment. Just putting out the feelers at the moment. All help gratefully received.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I left the army just over 2 years ago and have a decent job in civvy street, but feel there's something missing. I assume I'd have to undergo RN basic training which I'm cool with. If I applied for an engineering role, would my NVQ and apprenticeship gained in the army and civilian experience count for anything with regards to trade training or would this be subject to assessment. Just putting out the feelers at the moment. All help gratefully received.

It won't actually count for anything but it will give you a good grounding and a head start, some of the NVQ's may be valid though but you'll still have to start from the beginning with the rest of your course.

Hello there, just like Ex_Pongo I myself am an ex squaddie. I served 10 years in the Army Air Corps and left this January as a Cpl. I was walking through town today and had the sudden urge to open the door to the Armed Forces Careers Office, so I popped in and had a chat with a Warrant Officer who said that if I signed up, because of my previous service although I wouldn't keep my equivalent rank I would start on a higher pay rate that would be worked out by those crazy lot up at Glasgow. Can anyone verify this as he couldn't give me that many details. Cheers.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Just a thought. Are all these ex-Pongoes wanting to join the RN because they have heard that we can get TWO snorkers at brekky?

sonar-bender, although that is definitely a perk its more the fact that during Op Olympics I was mostly working with you sailor types and i got introduced to sun uppers, a life changing moment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ageing_Gracefully The Laughing Soldier - squaddie humour jokebook Charity 0
D Squaddie blowing............... Diamond Lil's 4
A Charges dropped against Squaddie who deserted. Current Affairs 12
slim Gran blows whistle on 'Basra' squaddie Current Affairs 3
guterslohwire Hi all just a few questions from an ex squaddie Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
M Support A Squaddie - BEWARE! Charity 2
D Support a Squaddie! Nearest & Dearest 1
D Interested in the Fleet Air Arm? The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS M25 Junction 10/A3 Wisley interchange improvement - People interested in the proposal can register to give their views MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Norfolk Boreas Power Station - People interested in the proposal can register to give their views MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Store First Limited – information for creditors, customers, investors and other interested parties. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Store First Limited – information for creditors, customers, investors and other interested parties. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Store First Limited – information for creditors, customers, investors and other interested parties. MoD News 0
N Interested in becoming Royal Marine Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
I Interested in becoming a Logistics Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J Interested in my application? Joining the Royal Navy 24
D Would you be interested in becoming a Trustee and Volunteer for the Sea Cadets in your local area? Charity 1
AL86 Interested in joining RFA MM2/SG2 Apprentice RFA 16
P Interested parent Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
M Interested in marine engineer submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
J Interested in joining - Food Allergy Health & Fitness 8
L Interested in Joining - Warship Inspiration Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
C Still serving RAF SNCO interested in helping SCC SCC and URNU 17
S interested in RM... any medical examiners here ? The Corps 2
M I'm very interested in the FAA. The Fleet Air Arm 24
C Interested in joining... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
NotmeChief Service Pals - if anyones interested. Nearest & Dearest 0
S Anyone interested in these guides? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
S Hello I'm interested in joining RN but... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
W Interested in joining. (RMR Notts) RMR 12
T Son interested in joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
CallumAS90 I'm interested in learning more about the FAA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
T Telemark Skiing Champs - Anyone Interested? Sports and Adventure Training 0
T Telemark Skiing Champs - Anyone Interested? The Corps 4
creddly For Those Who Are Interested... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
finknottle Are you Interested Diamond Lil's 53
frayedknotarts New member with a gift for those interested: Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
T Interested in joining the RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 14
D Anyone interested in buying a Laser dinghy? The Quarterdeck 4
P Joining during COVID-19 RFA 3
O Joining date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
F Joining RNR/RMR - Potential Transfer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
A Course joining instructions Bases / Shore Est 7
D Female joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Pre Joining Fitness Test Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Officer joining requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
chorzxx Pre-joining fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R Trying to trump the age stakes. Joining at 38, possibilities? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
A Joining up with hay-fever. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3