Ex-, Serving, and yet to be?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by nemesishq, Mar 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. G'day! I'm new to this lark, but have a particular interest at the outset. Does anybody have any idea what the rough sort of proportion of contributors to NN is? What's the rough percetnage d'you think of ex-serving sailors/marines, those still in the mob, and those up-and-coming? The reason I ask is to get some idea as to whether this might be a good forum to get out some meaty information to the serving masses as to what's really going on inside the sieve-like Andrew these days, rather than the carefully-spun b.......s everyones fed on the likes of 2SLs blog etcetera...

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

JOURNO ALERT!! :shock:

[​IMG]

3. When you talk about "contributors to NN", what do you mean?

4. If this is a journo as SPB suspects, I suggest he re-reads his post as it makes no sense to me. Anyone...?

5. Stop.JPG .......................

6. Sod off.......

7. nemesishq,

You have received the traditional Welcome to RR (Very few refer to it as 'NN', hence at least one of the Alarm Bells) generally reserved for those who's intentions are suspect.

If there is a genuine reason for your presence here then might I respectfully suggest an exchange of credentials, via PM, with Soliel?

If not, then please re-read the above Posts.

8. What makes you think you are more privy to meaty information than any of the rest of us?

I don't think it's a journo, just someone with an axe to grind, and an overinflated opinion of their importance.

9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

You mean JD's bro is back?

10. NN - navy-Net (as in the tab at the top of this page) / RR - Rum Ration... I wasn't aware that the title was quite so important, or so jealously (pedantically?) guarded.
    As for the traditional welcome, I was warned about the general lack of basic human courtesy afforded to people - though it seems that there are some who are substantially more offensive than others and do the majority, and the reputation of the website, no favours at all.
    As for my credentials, I'm no 'journo'. I work in the Fleet HQ, have no particular axe to grind, have an entirely realistic and level-headed view of my own place in the food-chain, but am weary of the Services-wide 'mushroom syndrome' and, in particular, the continuing deception that the Navy remains something bigger, better, and morally more sound, than it really is.
    I therefore wanted to gauge whether it may be worth using NN/RR as a forum to generate some mature and informed debate on issues at the heart and soul of our Service. Obviously a mistake.

11. sgtpepperband

Well, Oh Saviour from Upon High. You hum it and we'll join in... :clap:

12. No, it's ok. On reflection, Rum Ration is the right name for the site. It represents, and incorporates, everything that is in the past, not the present. I'll look elsewhere. Bye.

13. nemesishq

Not a mistake: Rum Ration does welcome mature and informed debate on these matters; you are welcome too.

The events of the last six months have generated quite a lot on here in this respect and you will find items of particular interest to you in 'Current Affairs', 'Fleet', 'Fleet Air Arm' and 'Submarines'. If you should like to start a thread on something which you believe we have missed, please do not hesitate to do so.

With regard to your original question, a distinct proportion of the contributors to Rum Ration are currently serving; some have only just begun their careers and are currently at HMS Raleigh or in Phase 2, others have been in for much, much longer. Faslane, Guzz, Pompey, Culdrose, Yeovilton, MB, the Careers Service and more, all have contributors to Rum Ration. Rum Ration is a broad church, too; not only are those currently serving here, we also have those who have applied and are waiting to join and those who are looking and wondering in which direction to go. A valuable contribution also comes from those who have served and have since left the service.

Please look around at what has already been written and, if you think we have missed something, please start a thread on that subject.

I look forward to reading what you have to say.

14. nemesishq.

Now that you have explained yourself, your first post makes more sense. You didn't help your case by drawing immediate suspision by being very vague. So if you are not a mole for your bosses at Fleet HQ, start some meaningful debates. Don't be surprised if some (including me) take the piss. There are many on here with a vast range of experience (see Soleils post above) with very strong opinions about how the navy has changed and is changning as we speak. As you appear to work close to those that make decisions that affect those you seek council from, bring it on.

15. Fleet HQ is it? I sincerely hope you are not responsible for the dissemination of information through the fleet, as your communication skills would seem to be poor. Perhaps you thought we would be overawed by the prospect of one of the master race deigning to talk at us. A more sensible person in your position would perhaps have tested the water by either starting some intelligent discussions, or contributing in a meaningful way to some that are ongoing.

As for the welcome, what did you expect? Fawning adulation?

My original comment still stands.

16. [​IMG]

Whilst she would never admit it, her expression indicates that Soliel was not amused......

17. Fleet HQ huh?

Can we have some ships please?

18. ......and 'Fisps'?

19. sgtpepperband

Well - typical Fleet HQ. Start a gash buzz, and then disappear into the ether, leaving chaos and confusion in his/her wake... :?

20. Isn't that called "seagull management": turn up, flapping around, squawking, making noise everywhere, sh1t on everybody and then leave?