Ex service members - Official wearing of uniform.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ruby_curry, Dec 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys.

Do ex servicemen have the right to wear their uniforms to passing out parades? I have two conflicting opinions over this, my dad thinks you can and my grandad thinks you can't. I thought they could. Can anyone answer this question for me? :p

Many thanks

2. Re: Ex service members

If I remember correctly we looked into this when my father died and the answer was no - we did anyway, carried his coffin into the church. **** those that make stupid rules.

3. Re: Ex service members

according to the command warrant officer in Nov07 you can wear your uniform providing it does not put the service in a bad light.Meaning you can wear it at weddings,christenings funerals etc. As long as it fits! If you dont believe me,find someone who is still in the mob and get them to ask the question to the CWO.
    not looked but you can probably contact him via the RN website. the reason he told me was he was telling me about an ex matelot who had contacted him to ask if he could wear rig at his wedding.
    It has to fit as well of course!

4. Re: Ex service members

cheers for the replies guys :)

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: Ex service members

Following on from Barney:

Must admit I was about to dismiss the authorised wearing of uniform for ex-service personnel until I had a shufty at the Book of Reference (BR81) Chapter Two, Article 0208, paragraph ‘F’, which states:

Unfortunately, the “poor people†that only have a Mac operating system may not be able to download this from the Online RN Reference library

Looks like Granddad was wrong. :wink:

6. Re: Ex service members

Thanks for looking into that for me ninja :D

7. Ninja_Stoker

Re: Ex service members

My guess is the regulation is to cover the eventuality that an 80+ year-old member of Royalty feels like dressing up in a military uniform befitting the event - we therefore need a regulation to legitimise it, which does not discriminate.

As stated, I honestly thought it was a no-go, but was wrong.

It will be interesting to see how many ex matelots & booties pitch-up at Remembrance Sunday legitimately in uniform. Then again, they'll have to ditch the "made-up medals" which a lot of people seem to buy after they leave. :wink:

8. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Re: Ex service members - wearing of uniform.

Re Ninja's little dig, Prince P is an Admiral of the Fleet and they don't retire. Non-royals go onto half-pay as distinct from pension. As no more AoFs are being made (and have not been made since the Betts report was implemented which eliminated further promotions to 5-star rank) this is a dwindling curiosity. 'If it fits' is pertinent! I suppose given our now miniscule armed forces it was felt that having 5-star rank even for the CDS had become an affectation.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Re: Ex service members - wearing of uniform.

My point is certainly not intended to be construed as anti Royalist, merely that even those not entitled to half-pay or subject compulsory retirement at age 55 may also wear uniform befitting of the event.

(Mr Betts, had his recommendations been fully implemented, would have significantly reduced the requirement for a two tier management structure also, but that's a different kettle of swimming thingies.)

10. Re: Ex service members - wearing of uniform.

So is wearing Mess Dress for sunday lunch every week OK?

Why does Glass-back Prince Edward wear rig?

11. Ninja_Stoker

12. IIRC the new regs concerning wearing of rig by retirees was aprt of the attempt to get the navy back in the public eye. Theoreticaly, AB funkuts can get booted out of phase 2, and continue to parade around at " occasions of ceremony" for the rest of his life.
    Regardless what the QRRRNs say, an ex matelot going to a passing out parade in rig is still going to look a tuuat

13. Why the fcuk would anyone want to wear the rig after they come out.

The pension is quite adequate to buy some clothes, and failing that I can supply some black bags at very reasonable rates.

There is the RBL and SSAFA if in real hardship. Or even H4H...good luck. :roll: :wink: :D

14. Well the reason i asked is because i wanted to know if my family could turn up in uniform for my passing out. Sounds corny but it is a big day for me and it would be great to see my family members in uniform again. I don't think any ex service member doing this at a passing out parade is going to look a tuuat. It is a ceremonial event after all. :p

15. I still wear ovies and dress for dinner ….though I have`nt done rounds since the kids left home….

16. You are of course entitled to your opinion.
    Are your aged relatives going to get fell in?

17. Its you who's passing out, its not a fancy dress party.

18. I wear flip flops in the bathroom, am I an anchor faced barsteward? :oops: :wink:

19. lol no. I just think it's great ex service-men and women can still wear uniform. I know a lot have earned that right, especially WW2 vets.

20. only if you still crash your knicks out in a galvanised bucket :lol: :lol: