Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ex-SAS man deported to Equatorial Guinea

Well no it doesn't actually. Simon Mann was a very accomplished soldier. If Peter de la Billiere speaks highly of him, it's certainly good enough for me.
 
Passed-over_Loggie said:
Well no it doesn't actually. Simon Mann was a very accomplished soldier. If Peter de la Billiere speaks highly of him, it's certainly good enough for me.

No he wasn't.
 
HarryBosch. Chaps do not become Captains in the Hereford Hooligans on the basis of being a toff with good attendance. Had he not been competent, he would have soon been returned to Unit; and he wasn't. Additionally, whatever one may think about the brown jobs, it is extremely rare for a dummy to progress beyond Major. Finally, a true star like de la Billiere would not ask the man to return to duty as his ADC if he didn't have total confidence in him.

There are times to see beyond class prejudices. Either way, the poor sod's as good as dead now. Perhaps the moral is not to trust ones life to spineless tw**ts with money.
 
POL, I'm sorry you think that I'm suffering from "class prejudice". What on earth makes you accuse me of such a thing? After inspecting and analysing my post for signs of it I can only assume that you're the prejudiced one.

Anyway, PdlB, Mann and Spicer were all good mates, and I'm not knocking anybody who passed selection, but PBs book and leadership was as welcome as McNab according some of 'Them'.

The point about Mann is that he believed his own press. In his world, he was the dashing English adventurer, pirate, even. He pulled strings to play the part of (? CO?) for a documentary about Bloody Sunday, just about the time he was getting involved with the diamond trade. Brave? Mad as a hatter? Yes. A good soldier? Only in another century where being dashing and irresponsible was the mark of a good officer.

Hope that helps to clarify my position. :)
 
HarryBosch. Isn't it interesting how many of us silly buggers stay up until oh christ double dark contemplating these matters. Anyway, sorry for implying you are class prejudiced. I could not possibly have drawn that conclusion from your one liner "No he wasn't". That actually made me chuckle because it reminded me of the Is This the Right Room for an Argument sketch. "That's not an agument, it's contradiction"! I was clearly and wrongly associating you with slim's sentiments.

I can understand your misgivings over the Mann man but I'm unable to support them; the "irresponsible" label in particular. Have you noticed that it's often the brave, dashing, supremely self confident and a bit crazy officers that have often had a disproportionately winning influence on a campaign? Consider Hasler, Sterling, Lawrence (TE, not Robert), Gibson, Prien and, possibly, our own dear Nelson. I feel a whole new Thread coming on. I must admit to some bias towards d l B because my ex brown job pal holds him in near reverance, in the "best boss I've ever had" category.

Whatever we think of Mann, as wet_blobby observes, he's buggered now and lets hope that the inevitable is as painless as possible.
 

slim

War Hero
Passed-over_Loggie said:
HarryBosch. Isn't it interesting how many of us silly buggers stay up until oh christ double dark contemplating these matters. Anyway, sorry for implying you are class prejudiced. I could not possibly have drawn that conclusion from your one liner "No he wasn't". That actually made me chuckle because it reminded me of the Is This the Right Room for an Argument sketch. "That's not an agument, it's contradiction"! I was clearly and wrongly associating you with slim's sentiments.

I can understand your misgivings over the Mann man but I'm unable to support them; the "irresponsible" label in particular. Have you noticed that it's often the brave, dashing, supremely self confident and a bit crazy officers that have often had a disproportionately winning influence on a campaign? Consider Hasler, Sterling, Lawrence (TE, not Robert), Gibson, Prien and, possibly, our own dear Nelson. I feel a whole new Thread coming on. I must admit to some bias towards d l B because my ex brown job pal holds him in near reverance, in the "best boss I've ever had" category.

Whatever we think of Mann, as wet_blobby observes, he's buggered now and lets hope that the inevitable is as painless as possible.

Well he's not buggered yet, but probably soon will be. Still no problem for an old Etonian. :thumright:
 
PoL, In the cool light of day I think you're right about crazy officers, I quite liked them too. How can I forget OC Charlie Coy who used to take us speed marching with a GPMG slung around his neck or Southerby Taylor swaggering about with his stick as our LC went ashore down south. Wouldn't change them for the world :thumright: Shame that PB's book helped trigger other publications followed by recrimination and infighting within his Reg. Still, unlike Gutherie he didn't try to ingratiate himself with TBs little circle of friends.

Yours Aye :thumright:
 
HarryBosch said:
Wouldn't change them for the world

Except I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the buggers. Never share a foxhole with somebody braver than you! But then, what do I know: I was only a medic!
 

Ships_Cat

War Hero
HarryBosch said:
The point about Mann is that he believed his own press. In his world, he was the dashing English adventurer, pirate, even. He pulled strings to play the part of (? CO?) for a documentary about Bloody Sunday, just about the time he was getting involved with the diamond trade. Brave? Mad as a hatter? Yes. A good soldier? Only in another century where being dashing and irresponsible was the mark of a good officer.

I remember reading an article about him at the time of his capture (again from the Torygraph I think) which had basically the same tenet, that maybe he was beginning to believe what was written about him, although it is fair to say it was interesting reading, if not always moral or advisable (bit like RR in some ways...). Character, yes maybe he was playing one, but I can't tell as I hadn't met him (wondered if anyone here had). I did meet DlB though....

Anyway, as slim points out, I doubt they have much in prison to worry a man who lived through Eton back in the day. Puts me in mind of the Blackadder "hot crumpet" line.....
 
wardmaster said:
HarryBosch said:
Wouldn't change them for the world

Except I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the buggers. Never share a foxhole with somebody braver than you! But then, what do I know: I was only a medic!

Respect! Don't ever knock medics. As you know the one's in 42 were particularly brilliant :thumright:
 

Ships_Cat

War Hero
From the torygraph.....

'Injured' Simon Mann may still be in Zimbabwe
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2008/02/04/noindex/wzim104.xml

The whereabouts of Simon Mann remains unknown as his lawyer said that Zimbabwe's regime may not have deported him to Equatorial Guinea.

Instead, the former SAS officer may have been injured by police and then hidden in a secret location inside Zimbabwe. The alleged mercenary has served a four-year sentence in Chikurubi maximum security prison outside Harare for attempting to buy weapons.

Last week, the authorities said that Mann, 55, had been deported to the West African state of Equatorial Guinea, where he is accused of plotting to overthrow the regime in return for a share of the country's oil wealth.

Mann is known to have disappeared from his prison cell before Jonathan Samkange, his lawyer, could appeal to the supreme court to halt the extradition.

At first, Mr Samkange believed that his client, an old Etonian and the son of a former England cricket captain, had been sent to Equatorial Guinea.

But new evidence suggests that Mann may still be in Zimbabwe. Mr Samkange said that he had checked the "occurrence book" at Chikurubi jail, which records all movements of prisoners in and out.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rover SAS snubbed as defence chiefs appoint Navy man as Britain's anti-terror chief The Corps 14
1 Royal Marine to SAS Air Troop The Corps 27
Ageing_Gracefully Competition: Jock Lewes - Co-founder of the SAS Competitions 19
soleil Telegraph: "SAS Target Taliban Using Royal Navy Submarine Technology" The Fleet Air Arm 4
T SAS war diary: The SAS secret hidden since World War II Current Affairs 2
2_deck_dash Genuine SAS/SBS/STC sunglasses - H4H auction - not to be missed. Charity 18
daffy1 SAS recruitment Current Affairs 0
soleil T'graph: "WikiLeaks: Ex-SAS Officers Hired As 'Human Bait' By Foreign Shipping Firms" Current Affairs 1
Darbi SAS Blue Jokes 2
The_Caretaker SAS Miscellaneous 0
Joint_Force_Harrier The SAS cant get him so send in the Crabs!!!!! Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 16
Deano19 "I'm in the SAS, my mate there is SBS" Diamond Lil's 80
T Sad day for the SAS Diamond Lil's 0
NotmeChief SAS Motto The Gash Barge 35
Topaz SAS down under Diamond Lil's 18
S SAS Down Under. Tv series. RMR 19
Ninja_Stoker Fake SAS "Hero" exposed. Current Affairs 34
sgtpepperband SAS Troopers in £250k Fraud Current Affairs 14
mrsandeel SBS vs SAS The Corps 52
MoD_RSS Wigan man jailed for longer after killing 13-year-old MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Basildon man guilty of waste crime MoD News 0
BillyNoMates The man who didn't press the button. History 1
MoD_RSS Security operative saves suicidal man on Great Yarmouth beach MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Unlawful immigration advice given by Southall man MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Man apprehended in North East illegal fishing investigation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hull man guilty of giving unlawful immigration advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Beware of rogue 'man and van' rubbish removers on Facebook MoD News 0
Stirlin Peter Green....Man of the World. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
MoD_RSS Man who repeatedly stabbed student on a Loughborough street in jail for longer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sentence increased for Northampton man who killed another man in pub attack MoD News 0
Alfacharlie Man City v Burnley WLM The Quarterdeck 9
MoD_RSS UK-Pakistan close working helps convict man for murder of Dr Imran Farooq in UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Manchester man who distributed child pornography jailed for longer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Leeds man who assaulted his partners’ babies is jailed for longer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Man who attacked cousin at Woking wedding has sentence increased MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sentence increased for Walsall man who imported illegal firearms MoD News 0
soleil Guardian: "Man Accidentally Ejects Himself From Fighter Jet During Surprise Flight" The Fleet Air Arm 4
MoD_RSS Sentence increased for London man who kidnapped and sexually abused eight-year-old boy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guildford man has manslaughter sentence increased MoD News 0
D The Hazards to Man of Nuclear and Allied Radiations" The Quarterdeck 1
MoD_RSS Hull man fined for illegal transport of waste MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lewes couple who befriended and robbed disabled man in his own home jailed for longer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chickens and man flu top tax evaders’ excuses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Extensive search after report of man overboard MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rotherham man who stabbed mother in front of young son jailed for longer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Man who sexually assaulted 5 year old jailed for longer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HM Coastguard volunteer saves man who was choking in Paris restaurant MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fishing vessel sinks off Isle of Man MoD News 0
soleil Mail: "Real-Life 'Rocket Man' Wearing A Jet Pack Launches From ... HMS Queen Elizabeth" The Fleet 8
Stirlin Rod Stewart.......model man. Hobbies & The Great Indoors 2
Similar threads








SAS

SAS









































Latest Threads

Top