Ex RN questions

Discussion in 'RFA' started by kernowchris, Feb 11, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello. I served as a wafu for 5 years in the RN. Spent quite a bit of time on the Fort George and Vic. Enjoyed the RFA way of life. Sooo...I sent my application of last night for Comms rating and Motorman. I am an engineer on the outside so MM makes sense. Interested in the route to officer in the long run after reading about it on here.

Does anybody know if my previous service will count towards training etc? Did an apprenticeship. Just nervous that the starting pay is 14k and I will be on that for a couple of years. Have a mortgage etc so could be a deal breaker with the wife.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  2. Previous service means nothing, we currently have several ex stokers on course including a chief and we have to do it all, the only part you could miss is functional skills if you can prove you have done it within the last 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. How about pay?

Cheers

4. I'm on the old pay scale so it's completely different to the new intakes

5. Ok. Will see what they say. Still 4 on 3 off as far as you are aware??

6. As far as I'm aware the new apprentices don't get the 4-3, don't quote me but I think it's 7 days for every month

7. Seriously? Well that's the end of that then. No way would anyone work like that when the old contract guys get 4 on 3 off. That's a joke.

8. I was fortunate to get in the last intake on the old scale, I can see it putting a few people off, but if you can afford to hold out it will be worth it. Don't take my word as gospel tho, double check with recruitment

9. What do you mean hold on? Is it going to change?

10. No I mean do the 2 year apprenticeship, then you will upscale to mm1 pay scale

11. So once you are on the MM payscale does the working hours change to normal shift. Ie 4 on 3 off?

12. Not 100% sure on that one pal sorry

13. Cheers for all your help. Appreciate it. Sounds like they are slowly screwing things up. Surprise surprise.

14. No problem, I do think you should ring recruitment just to clarify what I have said.

15. When you complete the apprenticeship and qualify as MM1 your leave ratio increases to (roughly) 4:3.

The reduction to 4:1 for trainee ratings brings them into line with officer cadets.

16. Right. Ok, starting to make sense. Thanks. Can you qualify quicker than 2 years?

17. What makes sense to me is to join the commercial sector as an Engineer instead of going the MM route and then Engineer in a couple of years time, unless you are hell bent on going RFA

18. Depends on what you want to do, maybe doing an officer cadetship? Lots of practical engineering as a RFA engineering officer.

19. ggg

ggg Midshipman

What practical experience do you gain as motorman? How much time is spent at college/ sea? I've applied for Systems Engineer but I am interested in motorman as a back up incase I don't make it through as SE.

Thanks in advance

20. Recently signed my contract for the new (MM2) Engineering apprenticeship, if I can I'll answer any Q's but I'm not 100% sure on all the details myself.