Ex RN Helo controller looking to join

Discussion in 'RFA' started by vonspurter, May 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I left in 2001 as a JATCC qualified PO(AC) after 13 years. Been working in an IT management role since then but the call of the sea is getting the better of me. At 46 I know I'm not too old for me to join as (probably a deckhand) - does anyone know if there is any accelerated advancement based on time in the RN and / or those who held the HC adqual?

I did spend an enjoyable 3 years on RFANSU so did about 2 x 6 month stints on the George and Austin with the embarked flights.

Being an ex submariner and WAFU the thought of doing RAS's gives me the shits but I'm sure I'd get over it....

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  2. Don't know buddy but ill be watching this thread closely to find out for myself!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

3. Monty you put your notice in??

4. Vonspurter, you weren't on Unicorn were you?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'd rather hope an ex-PO (AC) should be advanced rapidly to being the bloke on the RFA that catches the gunline when it's fired over at the beginning of the RAS. But have to say the best bet is to call the RFA Recruiters direct in Pompey as I may be incorrect in my assumption: 02392 727750

6. I know of an experienced LAC who joined the RFA around 2007 with the intention of becoming an HC. Her previous experience counted for nothing and there was no fast track.

She is an HC now but it took a few years.

7. Thanks Ninja - I'll give them a call but was hoping someone on here had done it already. - Wrecker, no I was on Valiant, Repulse and Revenge - known as Jess Owen

8. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I believe that Ratings' accelerated advancement due to RN service has been addressed and the answer is no, in bold, underlined and highlighted. Direct entry at PO for suitably qualified Medical Technicians (the RFA don't grow their own) is the exception and arguably not the same thing.

9. Direct entry LH(HC)s have been recruited in the past, but last year a number of changes were made to the nature of the HC sub-branch in the RFA. Previously, HCs had been primarily recruited from deck ratings, a few from comms ratings, and a few direct entry ex-RN ACs. LH(HC) was essentially a dead-end as a rating, the only option for progression being to go RTO to become a deck officer.

Last year the future plans for HC were announced. Any existing HC would remain as long as they wished, but there would be no more permanent recruitment to the HC branch. In future HC billets would be filled by suitably qualified LH(CIS) as part of CIS branch progression, being available for CIS tasks when not required as an HC.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'd be surprised if the RFA accepted anyone as a trained rank with a break in service of over ten years to be honest.