Ex RN Chef thinking of joining up, advice please...

N

Nippit

WTF?

If HM wants to bestow a commission and / or rank in HM Armed Forces on her children and grandchildren then she can. If her Regiments and Arms wish to have a Royal Commodore or Colonel as their tribal head, they can.

As far as I know, the Royal Princes and Princess Anne all appear on the active lists therefore there is nothing 'honorary' about their ranks. Their appointments yes, ranks, no. Sharp eyed viewers will notice that Prince William has been promoted in all three services since 'leaving' the RAF. Granny makes it so.

Although appointed Commodore in Chief of the RFA, Prince Edward held the rank of Captain RFA until Prince Andrew was promoted (?) Rear Admiral in (?) 2011. Edward was then promoted Commodore. RFA officers are not commissioned although their Captains and 3 Commodores appear in the Navy List.

I recall (reports) and photos of Prince Philip in his 80s visiting one of his Regiments in Iraq. Although a Field Marshal on the Army List, he was wearing Colonel's tabs with regimental headgear. 'The lads' were chuffed to fcuk. Then again, he could have rocked up in towel and flip flops and still be greeted like the god he is.
He was attending as the Regiment' Colonel-in-Chief sometimes Captain-General or Colonel of the Regiment. These are his Ceremonial roles. Had he attended as a Royal Field Marshal --that would have been in his operational role.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
He was attending as the Regiment' Colonel-in-Chief sometimes Captain-General or Colonel of the Regiment. These are his Ceremonial roles. Had he attended as a Royal Field Marshal --that would have been in his operational role.
You didn't read this then?
Perhaps I wasn't clear. He was wearing the uniform of the Regiment he was visiting, the Regiment of which he was/ is Colonel in Chief. There was no mishap, HRH ( praises be upon his name) was correctly dressed.