Ex RN Chef thinking of joining up, advice please...

Jacobus

Lantern Swinger
At least Phil the Greek did his bit, as did Mountbatten. And even our very own Duke of Pork. And Harry. Still doing a cracking job in many respects, with Invictus etc.
You missed out Edwards' honorary Merchant Navy title.(s).
Anne. Yes, strange one. Hardly workshy however; and as so many of them an asset. Obviously those sat on the throne, or in proximity to it, (monarch desig for example ) need the Honorary ranks. It's what separates us from the lowlifes round the planet.
It's the O2 thiefs that need to be thinned from the ranks? And Edward would be a good place to start.

At least Phil the Greek did his bit, as did Mountbatten. And even our very own Duke of Pork. And Harry. Still doing a cracking job in many respects, with Invictus etc.
Anne. Yes, strange one. Hardly workshy however; and as so many of them an asset. Obviously those sat on the throne, or in proximity to it, (monarch desig for example ) need the Honorary ranks. It's what separates us from the lowlifes round the planet.
It's the O2 thiefs that need to be thinned from the ranks? And Edward would be a good place to start.
2006: Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary

Stirlin

War Hero
Seconded.

Seadog

War Hero
WTF?

If HM wants to bestow a commission and / or rank in HM Armed Forces on her children and grandchildren then she can. If her Regiments and Arms wish to have a Royal Commodore or Colonel as their tribal head, they can.

As far as I know, the Royal Princes and Princess Anne all appear on the active lists therefore there is nothing 'honorary' about their ranks. Their appointments yes, ranks, no. Sharp eyed viewers will notice that Prince William has been promoted in all three services since 'leaving' the RAF. Granny makes it so.

Although appointed Commodore in Chief of the RFA, Prince Edward held the rank of Captain RFA until Prince Andrew was promoted (?) Rear Admiral in (?) 2011. Edward was then promoted Commodore. RFA officers are not commissioned although their Captains and 3 Commodores appear in the Navy List.

I recall (reports) and photos of Prince Philip in his 80s visiting one of his Regiments in Iraq. Although a Field Marshal on the Army List, he was wearing Colonel's tabs with regimental headgear. 'The lads' were chuffed to fcuk. Then again, he could have rocked up in towel and flip flops and still be greeted like the god he is.

Sumo

War Hero
I recall (reports) and photos of Prince Philip in his 80s visiting one of his Regiments in Iraq. Although a Field Marshal on the Army List, he was wearing Colonel's tabs with regimental headgear. 'The lads' were chuffed to fcuk. Then again, he could have rocked up in towel and flip flops and still be greeted like the god he is.
I would like to say the old fool was having a moment, but he may be getting on a bit but has never been anyone's fool and is sharp as they come, for a man of his age that is amazing. This uniform mishap would have been well planed.

Seadog

War Hero
I would like to say the old fool was having a moment, but he may be getting on a bit but has never been anyone's fool and is sharp as they come, for a man of his age that is amazing. This uniform mishap would have been well planed.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. He was wearing the uniform of the Regiment he was visiting, the Regiment of which he was/ is Colonel in Chief. There was no mishap, HRH ( praises be upon his name) was correctly dressed.

Sumo

War Hero
Perhaps I wasn't clear. He was wearing the uniform of the Regiment he was visiting, the Regiment of which he was/ is Colonel in Chief. There was no mishap, HRH ( praises be upon his name) was correctly dressed.
We chose to misunderstand each other ish, but both correct, well planned detail, how many uniforms does he have in his wardrobe?

Do you think a bit of thread drift from the OPs original question?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Back on track....Owing to the shortfall of Chefs in the Navy, rumour has it the Duke could probably get an age waiver to recat to cabbage mechanic if he wished.

Sumo

War Hero
Back on track....Owing to the shortfall of Chefs in the Navy, rumour has it the Duke could probably get an age waiver to recat to cabbage mechanic if he wished.
One last promotion (thought I'd beet Dapps)

Edited Submariner obviously

Last edited:

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Give him a ladle and let him stand behind the counter.
'It's a selection not a collection, fat fucker'
I can almost hear him say :)

Borochap

Midshipman
Cheers for the chuckles lads.

I filled in the online application and they've passed my 'basic eligibility' so I'm off to the recruiting team now.

I went for 'assistant chef' as I know how to cook in theory and have a certificate that says so. In practice however....

Sumo

War Hero
Cheers for the chuckles lads.

I went for 'assistant chef' as I know how to cook in theory and have a certificate that says so. In practice however....
Therefore, you already have the knowledge of a naval cook, you think you know how to cook:D