EX regular thinking of RNR

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by missingthemob, Oct 26, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Ladies, Gents. I left the Mob last year as a killick WE and I am looking at joining RNR just to keep in with all things RN. HMS Eaglet will be my unit. has anyone done this since leaving the RN particularly any ex WE LH's.
    What are the benefits of being in the RNR, what is the monthly pay as an RNR Killick, is the social life as good as the mob, are there opportunities open for things not directly RN (op Samson) to RNR, promotion prospects and other branches available that will allow me to retain rank.

I have contacted recruitment but they couldn't really give me solid answers.

any info would be brilliant.

Cheers Oppos
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's a pity you did not make the enquiry prior to leaving as it is just a bit of paper-shuffling. Snag is now, you have to be processed as a trained re-entrant.

For those who did not submit a seamless transfer request prior to leaving, trained entrants into the RNR need to rock-up at your AFCO with your discharge documentation, ideally also a pay chit and sign a release form for your former service records before an application can be processed.

Once your med docs are received (takes about 4 weeks), approval to process is requested via CNR - allow another 4-6 weeks before your application can be processed (selection interview, medical, PJFT, SC). Rate of pay/pay increment level will be detailed in the approval to process letter from CNR.

Eaglet conducts local presentations usually on the first Wednesday of each month, but the next is 11th November. Give them a call on 0151 707 3326 to get yourself booked-in.

There are plenty of FTRS jobs available but they may not necessarily be branch specific. To apply for Op Samson stuff, you'd need to apply for a specific DHU FTRS post - after completing re-entry. Obviously neither the AFCO or the RNR could guarantee a place working within Humint.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Hi mate, many thanks for the info. I know what you mean about the process being long winded now ive left, obviously at the time I left for a reason and with the attitude "no way am I joining the reserves" but jack being jack cant do away with it totally. I am taking my docs in to them tomorrow so hopefully they will be able to shed some more light on things. Once again mate thanks for the info much appreciated.
  4. You won't regret it fella. Though you will have to have some perseverance, keep your sense of humour and you'll be fine. Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Cheers oppo, not sure what it will be like but got to be better than being just a civvy or ex matelot as I like to say.
  6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Stand by to get royally screwed over by people who think harbour hassle is a development objective. Fiver says you either give up, or get in then give up, or get in, get shafted by someone and then give up when they expect you to screw your own circumstances in order to to do them a favour for nothing in return.

Frankly I'd do something more fun, like trainspotting - similar social skills required.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Disgruntled old chappie aren't we. ******* hell fella don't sit on the fence
  8. Purple_twiglet

I think its a case of having seen a lot of people come in keen to do their best, and then watched the RNR not only look ,but actively machine gun, a gift horse in the mouth. I'm cynical in the extreme that the RNR will actually get you in and give you meaningful sensible stuff to do, because its so exceptionally good at messing up.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Same as the regulars then at this moment in time mate. The mobs on it's arse but when it's at it's lowest there's only one way it can go.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

To be perfectly honest, I expected to advise there were no Op Samson billets for reservists but took the trouble to ring DHU to ask & was advised that yes, there are FTRS posts.

There is stuff available for reservists who are flexible enough to make themselves available and know where to look. Trouble is that many expect it to be delivered on a plate by someone besides themself - forgetting that the bulk of those in the RNR are not on FTRS contracts & may not always have the time to find these things out either.

It is no use expecting a senior rate or officer that pitches-up for just enough drill nights a year to qualify for bounty, to be of much use as a career manager when they are more interested in managing their own, to further their own ends.
  11. Listen to your Uncle Ninja.
    If Carlsberg made moderators they would all be like Ninja:D
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Well , probably.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Purple_twiglet

NS - you hit the nail on the head there. We expect the RNR to run an RN equivalent Divisional / career management structure, when people don't have the understanding of how the RN works to do this. Is it time to scrap the structure for the reserves and try something new - maybe regular CM/ DO's?
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Unless they make the man days available to enable SJARs/OJARs & career management to take place in the correct manner expected of the service, then the only way to do it properly is to employ correctly trained people in FTRS billets.

Trying to undertake this level of administration in a two-hour drill night is not fair on the managers or the individual.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Purple_twiglet

I totally agree - part of the retention problem over the years has been poorly informed CM/DO's trying to do their best, promising what they could not deliver then seeing someone get frustrated and walk. I've long maintained that the divisional system just does not work for the RNR because its a level of admin burden that doesnt deliver real value.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. For a slightly more positive note I have several friends at Eaglet and every interaction I've had with the unit has been positive. They are doing some very impressive things that suggest a happy ship. The RNR probably has a bigger inter-unit difference than anything in the RN due to the lack of drafting. It allows bad apples to fester, but also for the good to excel - and some areas have proved it is possible to weed out the toxic influences.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Cheers Gents much appreciated, Ninja thanks for ringing up for me you really didn't have to so thanks again.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Retention is a matter of leadership. Some units have "lost" only one or 2 this year, that's far better than the regulars. 2hrs a week is not enough to run a division, that's why the good units allow DOs and DSRs to be paid for a few more hours a week working from home. There is a unit I know where every single SJAR and OJAR has gone in on time and the promotion results there speak for themselves. Additionally, the MPARS are used as KPI by the unit to measure the HODS & DOs. Not all are done to the right standard or as punctual as the SJAR/OJAR, but it works.
    As always, there are those who have been seen orf, and think that all is woe, and those who have made a stand and been fortunate enough to be involved with fixing the issues.

Go for it, grasp it, and love or hate it. If you hate it, no worries, you've had a crack?

Good luck
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. Good to hear that's reports and MPARs are given the correct level of oversight in the Reserve.

"Some units have "lost" only one or 2 this year, that's far better than the regulars."

Do you really think that comparing the retention figures of two massively different (though arguably shouldn't be) organizations makes any sense? Not after a fight but would be keen to hear your reasoning.