Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ex RAF > Diver (timeframe?)

VegHead

Midshipman
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question to any of the admin (recruiters) on here, or anyone else with some good gen.

I recently applied for MCD, going to call AFCO tomorrow to set a test date. I'm just curious as to 2017 time frames. Everything I have read on here in regards to this is pretty old.

I'm an ex RAF stacker (TSW, in case anyone knows anyone on the wing). But missing the military lifestyle and thought the Navy is the way to go.

Also, are there still a few 'oldies', I use this term loosely, joining up now. I'm pushing 29, and am probably considered ancient to the 16 year old recruits haha.

Cheers in advance.

Last edited:

VegHead

Midshipman
Unless info from the late 2000s would be of use now. That's why I'm curious, as many people were talking of 18 months to 2.5 years. Wondering if there is any 'updated' gen.

Last edited:

VegHead

Midshipman
I take that back. I have just found a thread from late last year, don't know how I missed that one. Cheers

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Generally it takes about 8-10 weeks to get Approval to Process for those with former military service, once they have applied, produced their discharge docs at the AFCO and signed a form giving consent for the release of their former service medical records. Be aware, the diving medical is quite stringent.

After completing selection up to passing the PJFT, the wait for a PEDA is about 18 months at the moment. Gazillions of applicants, very few vacancies.

Phys-wise you need to be fitter than average, at about the same level of fitness as a Royal Marines Commando. To give an idea of the phys level required - most of those undergoing their initial ten weeks training at HMS Raleigh actually dip below the standard required to pass the PEDA! Divers need to do extra phys throughout initial training because otherwise they'll find themselves held-over at the beginning of Diver training for failing the pre-training phys assessment.

Sometimes a cancellation places pops up on a PEDA, so the advice is to get to the required phys standard and stay at that level so you can grab a short notice cancellation. I've lost count of those who specifically request a cancellation place but then pull the plug when it's offered because they are nowhere near fit enough.

For thos who pass PEDA/PDA (or whatever it's called this week), you'll enter service at the beginning of the following term, ie: Jan, April or Sept, usually. Ish. Kind of.

VegHead

Midshipman
Cheers ninja, I have read quite a bit about the phys on here. would take some training but I can get back to it. I don't get why people would take the cancellation knowing they're not fit enough. Just looks bad on them.

You mention that the diving medical is quite stringent. In what way? I didn't have any issues when I was in before other than a few hungover, please let me go back to bed days.

Cheers

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Cheers ninja, I have read quite a bit about diver the phys on here. would take some training but I can get back to it. I don't get why people would take the cancellation knowing they're not fit enough. Just looks bad on them.

You mention that the diving medical is quite stringent. In what way? I didn't have any issues when I was in before other than a few hungover, please let me go back to bed days.

Cheers
Iffy stuff for Divers is dodgy respiratory issues and being knocked unconscious, from what I can recall.

VegHead

Midshipman
You do know you will be expected to work weekends and not guaranteed Hotels :)

What do you mean i'm not guaranteed hotels? I thought that was standard deployment. I mean i'll take a 3* if the navy are short on funds. But anything less than this I would consider employee abuse and would possibly have to seek legal advice.

As for weekend work, surely that was outlawed in the 80's.

VegHead

Midshipman
Haha. It's just reminded me of a joke I was told a few years ago:

An officer approaches a soldier, a sailor and an airman. He asks all three the same question: "Right lads, if you were on deployment and you see a camel spider inside your tent, what would you do?"

The squaddie replies straight away and says, "I'd reach over, grab my bayonet and stab it to death!"

The matelot then says, "I'd reach over, grab my boot and batter it to death sir!"

The officer then looks at the airman who has a confused look on his face, "and you son?"

"Well sir, i'd be wondering what a tent was doing in my hotel room"

I'm here all week.

What do you mean i'm not guaranteed hotels? I thought that was standard deployment. I mean i'll take a 3* if the navy are short on funds. But anything less than this I would consider employee abuse and would possibly have to seek legal advice.

As for weekend work, surely that was outlawed in the 80's.

You'll settle for 3*, that's most of your condemned SLAM blocks!!! :)

30 : 15

Last edited:

VegHead

Midshipman
You'll settle for 3*, that's most of your condemned SLAM blocks!!! :)

30 : 15

I gave many reviews on trip advisor etc on the accommodation in the RAF. For some reason there was never a reply.

I know the slam blocks are a strange thing to you boys, you sailors like to be in the same room together, if not the same bed. Just don't push back :)

30:30

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I gave many reviews on trip advisor etc on the accommodation in the RAF. For some reason there was never a reply.

I know the slam blocks are a strange thing to you boys, you sailors like to be in the same room together, if not the same bed. Just don't push back :)

You'll soon find out :)

VegHead

Midshipman
You'll soon find out :)

I've got my wash kit sorted. Always handy to have soap on a rope.

All buddies in boats/ships/squadron crewrooms

And I've stayed in the SNCO's mess @ RAF Shittering, Trip Advisor 1 Star!!

40:30

Last edited:

Morgsy300

Dive medical. Perfect hearing, perfect vision, cannot be colour blind. Lung capacity test, heart is checked, flexibility etc Urine sample. And that's pretty much it from what I can remember. Will expire after 12 months.. Id love to know what the Navy spend on dive medical which need to be re done due to issues like mine.. PDA cancellations 2017. If your not already in the pipeline then I would really imagine a long wait for your PDA . I personally believe I got my cancellation due to my Pjft time. Good luck mate :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Milestone for runway works at RAF Lossiemouth as aircraft return MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Completion of training facility at RAF Waddington MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAF looks to the future on Battle of Britain Day MoD News 0
J Navy or RAF Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
MoD_RSS Counter-drone tech and state-of-the-art radar for the RAF MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government announces multi million pound funding for Moray College Hub at RAF Lossiemouth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First Operation for RAF Poseidon tracking Russian Warship MoD News 0
J Navy to raf apprenticeship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS RAF flights to take UK aid-funded supplies to Africa to tackle coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £20-million contract awarded for Typhoon infrastructure at RAF Lossiemouth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAF Fighter Jets, Surveillance and Refuelling aircraft have been in action across Europe this week in support of NATO allies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAF completes COVID support task at Kinloss MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAF jets in Lithuania intercept Russian aircraft MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Third Future Accommodation Model (FAM) pilot takes off in RAF Wittering MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Red Arrows to stay in Lincolnshire following RAF Scampton closure MoD News 0
M Thinking of joining RNR. Ex raf rigger Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 35
H Navy or RAF Nursing? Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS Former head of RAF to be appointed chair of the UK Civil Aviation Authority MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAF Typhoons begin NATO Air Policing mission in Lithuania MoD News 0
0 Joining the Navy as AET compared to RAF aircraft technician Joining the Royal Navy 26
H 17 Sqn joint RAF/RN , direct entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS RAF delivers UK aid to Turkey for Syrians in crisis MoD News 0
J Applying for pilot roles in Navy and RAF simultaneously Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
MoD_RSS RAF submarine hunters first touchdown in UK MoD News 0
soleil 5 News: " HM The Queen Visits RAF Marham For Her First Public Engagement Of 2020" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil FB: BBC News - A Special Mission For RAF Fylingdales Current Affairs 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: Royal Navy, RAF & Army Form Up For Stunning Remembrance Day Tribute On Deck" The Fleet 3
MoD_RSS First Poseidon aircraft delivered to the RAF MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Army and RAF listed as top 100 social mobility employers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAF pilot seconded to Virgin Orbit space programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Construction of F35 facilities progressing at RAF Lakenheath MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAF Typhoons complete NATO air policing mission in Estonia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Upgrades to RAF Lossiemouth continue with runway resurfacing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DIO supports further renovation of RAF Lakenheath MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAF Typhoons scramble from UK and Estonia to intercept Russian aircraft MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAF Typhoons scrambled twice in two days to intercept Russian military aircraft MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAF Chinook assists Derbyshire Police at Toddbrook Reservoir MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAF Lakenheath gets power to grow thanks to the Defence Infrastructure Organisation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAF Typhoons scrambled from Ämari Air Base to intercept a Russian military transport aircraft MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Dstl to develop conceptual unmanned aircraft for RAF MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Construction begins on F35 infrastructure at RAF Lakenheath MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: RAF Typhoons scramble to intercept Russian fighters as part of Baltic Air Policing Mission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: RAF Typhoons scrambled to intercept Russian transport aircraft MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: RAF Typhoons intercept Russian fighters in Estonia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: RAF Typhoon jets trial miniature missile decoy device MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: RAF Typhoons scramble twice in two days to intercept Russian aircraft MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Fourth Quick Reaction Alert Squadron for RAF Lossiemouth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: RAF Northolt runway closes as planned for resurfacing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: RAF Typhoons intercept Russian Aircraft over the North Sea MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: RAF aircraft to fly vital UK aid relief to Mozambique MoD News 0