Ex-KGB officer poisoning probed

Keep telling you all, London has some dodgy food!

UK police are investigating the poisoning of a Russian former security agent and critic of President Vladimir Putin living in exile in Britain.
Alexander Litvinenko, a former colonel in the KGB, told the BBC he fell ill after meeting a contact at a London sushi bar on 1 November.

Police say the 43-year-old is in a serious but stable condition in University College Hospital, London.

Clinical experts said he was poisoned with the highly-toxic metal thallium.

Several hours after the meeting, I started to feel sick

Alexander Litvinenko, former Russian agent

Profile: Alexander Litvinenko

Mr Litvinenko fled Russia and was granted political asylum in Britain in 2001.
Full story

wasny one of the opposition leaders poisoned a bit back?They showed some before and after pics and he looked real bad!

One thing though, it was in a sushi restaurant, could it be possible he either ordered puffer fish or, if not, the dish he did order could have been prepared on a contaminated surface or with contaminated implements?

I am not trying to disparage the restaurant but it is something to bear in mind.

stab

navs

Midshipman
Maybe it was the same place the Spurs team got food poisening last season, where Arsenal finished 4th, and Spurs missed out on a Champions league slot!

Or MOD scientist Dr. David Kelly..................ooops! What I meant to say was 'move along everyone there's nothing to see here'.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Some of us will remember the injecting with a sedative of a woman in Murmansk who dared stand up and complain vociferously about the cock up in the rescue attempt on the Kursk - filmed by the world's TV and they still didn't give a toss.

sweeney

Lantern Swinger
golden_rivet said:
Some of us will remember the injecting with a sedative of a woman in Murmansk who dared stand up and complain vociferously about the cock up in the rescue attempt on the Kursk - filmed by the world's TV and they still didn't give a toss.
Wait a miniute, she was going crackers! And this man is a defector... My wife says Putin is 100% big man and everybody who is against him needs to go swimming in icy lake. They cannot be faulted comrade!

sweeney said:
golden_rivet said:
Wait a miniute, she was going crackers! And this man is a defector... My wife says Putin is 100% big man and everybody who is against him needs to go swimming in icy lake. They cannot be faulted comrade!
I remember that, she wasn't going crackers, just speaking out (ok at the top of her voice because she was p****d off), so they tired to silence her, unlucky for them it was caught on camera. Also anyone remember when a Chinese minster visited the US not to long ago, and a Chinese women started protesting about human rights (of course she could never have done that in her country of origin) and the American Authorities arrested her...

sweeney

Lantern Swinger
navs said:
I remember that, she wasn't going crackers, just speaking out (ok at the top of her voice because she was p****d off), so they tired to silence her, unlucky for them it was caught on camera. Also anyone remember when a Chinese minster visited the US not to long ago, and a Chinese women started protesting about human rights (of course she could never have done that in her country of origin) and the American Authorities arrested her...
Yeah, she was a journo wasn't she? I would have put a couple of 20mm rounds into her. That would have fixed things proper.

FlagWagger said:
stabradop said:
One thing though, it was in a sushi restaurant, could it be possible he either ordered puffer fish or, if not, the dish he did order could have been prepared on a contaminated surface or with contaminated implements?

I am not trying to disparage the restaurant but it is something to bear in mind.

stab
Pufferfish, or fugu, does not contain thallium - this is the substance with which the ex-spook has been contaminated according to the medics.
oops clanger dropped, obviously didnt read it properly (slaps self hard)

stab

Thallium isnt something that you can just drop down your local Boots or ASDA and pick up!Looks like the russkis are back to their old tricks.Apparently in the last 5 years the increase in their overseas operatives that have been identified has risen by over 300%!!!!!Spending on their Internal and External Secret security had tripled!

Andy - perfectly correct. You cannot buy Thallium at Boots or ASDA. It would take you at least 5 days to obtain from EBay at a cost of US$49.99. The cut-slab Thalium in a vacuum sealed glass ampoule would kill a couple of dozen secret agents. Hurry whilst stocks last. I think that we should stick with Ricin. Far more civilised and far easier to source.

RM

Bergen said:
Andy - perfectly correct. You cannot buy Thallium at Boots or ASDA. It would take you at least 5 days to obtain from EBay at a cost of US$49.99. The cut-slab Thalium in a vacuum sealed glass ampoule would kill a couple of dozen secret agents. Hurry whilst stocks last. I think that we should stick with Ricin. Far more civilised and far easier to source.

RM
LOL

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J The Quarterdeck 8
M History 3
redshank The Corps 10