Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Ex crab applying to the submariners .... (dont hate me)

phishphace

Badgeman
Okay, after a long time deliberating I have (as of this morning) decided to apply for the role of WE(sub).

When I was 16, I joined the RAF as an engineer, but after 5 years and being posted to a non-operational squadron I became disillusioned (there was no transfers available due to cuts) and so PVR'd.

I've always had an interest in the role of submariners and after losing my mum last year, I decided to look further into it, previously I always thought that I was too old at 33 and didn't really give it a second thought.

I noticed, when applying that the role I am interested in is classed as a "high priority", I assume this means that they predict that the role will become under manned in the near future(?)

I'm just really asking as to the current length of time the application process typically takes, is it shorter due to the role being high priority?

Ps fully expecting all the crab jokes incoming... :p

No recruiting professionals on this site anymore, your best bet for a time frame, is to contact your AFCO.

But yes you are correct if WE(SM) is a shortage category your application could move quickly, the down side to that is are you fit enough to meet the standards required, if in doubt start running now. I very much doubt if you will get any junior service, Crab Fat comments on here, we are on the whole sensible, most of the time.

The upside is, when on jollies you will stay in Hotels, not the 5* you were used too, but ok with spending (beer) money supplied.

One downside (possibly) is you will be based in Faslane whichever class of boat you serve on. If you go Strategic Weapons Systems you will only ever serve on bombers.

Fitness wise I'm not concerned with, I'm a regular gym rat... I did a little test this afternoon and managed the 1.5m in sub 10 minutes, but I'll still need to change up training to a more cardio based programme as opposed to weight slinging.

Mentioning those hotels, we made sure our aircraft developed a "fault" whilst on a stopover in Abu Dhabi... The hotel had gold taps! Lol... It took nearly a week for parts to arrive... ;-)
No recruiting professionals on this site anymore, your best bet for a time frame, is to contact your AFCO.

But yes you are correct if WE(SM) is a shortage category your application could move quickly, the down side to that is are you fit enough to meet the standards required, if in doubt start running now. I very much doubt if you will get any junior service, Crab Fat comments on here, we are on the whole sensible, most of the time.

The upside is, when on jollies you will stay in Hotels, not the 5* you were used too, but ok with spending (beer) money supplied.

One downside (possibly) is you will be based in Faslane whichever class of boat you serve on. If you go Strategic Weapons Systems you will only ever serve on bombers.

Noted... The move up north to Faslane doesn't bother me... It would be nice to get out of this hole I currently live in... If you've never been to kettering, you're lucky

phishphace

Something I would say is that knowing the generic waiting time for the role might not be particularly useful for you as someone who has not only already served in the Armed Forces but has also trained as an Engineer. Things may be different for your application.

Don't take this as gospel, but my guess would be that, if everything goes smoothly, you will no longer be living in Kettering by this time next year.

My advice would be, however, to speak to the Careers Advisors at your nearest AFCO, which I think is probably Peterborough. The number for them is 01733 568833 and they are open till 4.30 pm. You could give them a call now and ask them how long they think the waiting time for you in your particular situation would be.

Let us know what they say.

Further details about the Peterborough office here:

(scroll down to Find your nearest Armed Forces Careers Office (AFCO))

PS Ring the 01733 number rather than the generic nationwide number. The generic number takes you to a non-RN team who just process the initial paperwork, whereas the 01733 number will take you to experienced Royal Navy Careers Advisors who have served in the Navy and who also have up to date waiting time information.

It cant be worse than Kettering... There's a reason it's called "Kettaming" locally
oh-my-sweet-summer-child-19016546.png

phishphace

Something I would say is that knowing the generic waiting time for the role might not be particularly useful for you as someone who has not only already served in the Armed Forces but has also trained as an Engineer. Things may be different for your application.

Don't take this as gospel, but my guess would be that, if everything goes smoothly, you will no longer be living in Kettering by this time next year.

My advice would be, however, to speak to the Careers Advisors at your nearest AFCO, which I think is probably Peterborough. The number for them is 01733 568833 and they are open till 4.30 pm. You could give them a call now and ask them how long they think the waiting time for you in your particular situation would be.

Let us know what they say.

Further details about the Peterborough office here:

(scroll down to Find your nearest Armed Forces Careers Office (AFCO))

PS Ring the 01733 number rather than the generic nationwide number. The generic number takes you to a non-RN team who just process the initial paperwork, whereas the 01733 number will take you to experienced Royal Navy Careers Advisors who have served in the Navy and who also have up to date waiting time information.

Thanks for that... Just spoke to them and the answer was "it depends"... They need to apply to HQ to get permission to process me as a re-entry and I need to get onto the SPVA and get some paperwork sharpish

Being on a towed array skimmer and spending quite some time up there practising sinking you lot I didn't mind Fasers - it made you do stuff together as opposed to all disappearing in different directions in Guz, pompey etc - it was either Helensburgh or the base bar or sport ( still got the holes in my knees from the gravel pitches !!)

Chaps (and dear Sol) - I'm both a Burg boy and a sundodger. While I agree that the Burg is small, the area in general has a wealth of incredible facilities. OP, the PT staff will be able to arrange almost any sport or activity your heart desires.

All one has to do in Faslavatory, Faslamabad, The Base is to get out and go exploring instead of sitting in your cabin whinging.

PS Take waterproofs. LOTS of waterproofs!

Thanks for that... Just spoke to them and the answer was "it depends"... They need to apply to HQ to get permission to process me as a re-entry and I need to get onto the SPVA and get some paperwork sharpish

That sounds good, at least you've got the ball rolling.

It may be that cases of this kind are covered in Chapter 12 of BR3. If you have a look at this link, you may see paragraphs which apply to you, which I hope will be helpful, 1217/1218 for instance.

Latest Threads