Ex Bootie needs help

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Achmed, Dec 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents,
    An ex bootie has suffered a massive heart attack over here in Dubai, he is currently still unconsious in the International modern hospital, problem is he has not got the required Health insurance to cover costs.

I am liasing with the Dubai RBL branch to receive any donations to help him out. I will hopefully let you know where to send any donations.

I have contacted the RMA and awaitng a response

please PM me if you require any further info.

Seb

2. Alright mate

Let us know when this is jacked up and Id be happy to donate some cash. Best wishes to Royal and I hope he makes a full recovery.

W&S

3. i recommend you get in touch with the RN Benevolent Trust

Contact details are:

Royal Naval Benevolent Trust
    Castaway House
    311 Twyford Avenue
    Portsmouth
    PO2 8RN

Tel
    02392 660296

Email: [email protected]

also SSAFA on 0207 403 8783 (main London switchboard but they should point you in the right direction)

I am a SSAFA Caseworker and may be able to help off line. please PM me if you need any more help.

4. Cheers W&S

5. Achmed

If you have any problems hearing from the RMA pls say so as I know the most recent Standard Bearer and will ring him for you.

Can Help them Out help you on this?

Have family in UK been contacted?

6. I am trying to find out his personal circumstances and I will PM you if I do have any problems.

7. I am a bit confused.
    The hospital concerned is a 65 bed private boutique hospital.
    I can't help but wonder how he came to be in that particular hospital.
    Can you explain please Achmed?
    P.S. Have you spoken to our Embassy?

8. I would suggest caution before anyone sends any funds.

I may be wrong, but there is a huge hole in information here and I don't trust the internet as a way of raising cash.

Who is 'Achmed' does anyone know him/her personally?

9. My thoughts exactly

10. I agree - there should be no need for individuals to send any money - the Charities I mentioned in my earlier post are set up to deal with this sort of case. They will investigate and if the need is genuine they will help.

11. Achmed joined Arrse in October 2007 guys, and it would seem that he does a lot to raise funds for various service charities.
    :)

Just have a look over on Arrse if you aren't sure but are thinking of donating.

12. Any funds raised will go though the Dubai RBL branch, I will sort it this week if not I will arrange it through the british embassy.

13. I hope they can

14. How is he today?

15. Grim, I dont know the details, but they dont have the NHS in Dubai, so what ever hospital he is in its going to cost money, however my concern is ensuring an ex-bootie is sorted not whether or not he should be in a particular hospital or not.

16. This would would be the last site I would try a scam FFs, as trying to raise funds on the Rally that me and my oppo done for Help for Hero's was like trying to get "blood out of a stone" from rum ration.

The reason why there is a hole in the Info is because the Guy is unconsious and in a critical condition, when he's up for a brew I can fill in the missing info.

17. For what it's worth, this is a Gen Dit. Ex-Booty is a good man who does a lot with kids re sports coaching etc.. He was in the Gulf News today. Get well soon shippers.

18. Hi guys, I'm the RBL contact for Dubai.

I've posted a topic asking for the contact details of the Corps RSM (prior to reading this topic, apologies)

Achmed has been in contact with me by PM and we are working with the RNBT and the RBL in London.

I have also been in contact with the gents oppos here in Dubai and together we hope to work something out, unfortunately there may need to be a re-patriation involved so the cost may well increase.

With reference to the boutique hospital statement, it's an unfortunate truth, but one of our aims as soon as we have the medical go-ahead is to transfer the gent to the Sheikh Rashid 'public' hospital, which still requires payment, but a lot less obviously.

You are absolutely right to be concerned about sending money over the internet, so please don't do it unless you are really, really sure.

Any questions please PM me and I will keep you in the loop.

Thanks,

Trooped

19. Many Thanks Shippers, where possible I'll keep the Corps Board updated with the Gents progress.

T_A