Ex army

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mattyargyle, Jan 21, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys I was looking for some help/ advice. I spent ten years in the infantry and have been a civvy for four years now and I've got to the point where I've had enough and fancy a new challenge. I phoned the navy carrers office this morning and the guy said I only have a small chance of joining as I spent ten years in the forces and I am 29. I am going to try my luck anyway but is this true?
    He said that if I pic a role that is struggling for numbers my chances would increase but he refused to give me any ideas what these jobs are can anyone give me any ideas? Could someone please also let me know if I really am wasting my time on this?
    Thanks all look forward to your answers.
    Matt

2. Really? What a weirdo. Just pick a branch like Writer (Admin Clerk) and then go through for the RT. I'm surprised you haven't been booked onto one already tbh.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

All RN rating Technical trades have an upper age limit of 30 for entry.

Most non-tech jobs, upper age is 37. Assuming you were discharged as of right (not disciplinary or med) & left with exemplary conduct, it isn't usually an issue as long as you accept the fact you will join as a recruit on the new entry rate of pay, regardless of former service. Your ten years will be deducted from the 18 currently on on offer, so it'll only be an 8 year contract. You will currently join on the AFPS 05 pension & your former service pension (AFPS 75) is preserved, but cannot be added. Before you can sit the recruiting test, it can take the Army two or three months to produce your records, then about another month to gain approval to process.

4. The main problems with recruiting those who have served in the army are.
    1. keep pitching their tent on the flight deck.
    2. Keep digging holes in the flight deck to use as a latrine.
    3. When coming to attention stamp their feet loudly and therefor waking the wafus up.
    4.Confusing action stations with army exercises so not taking a shower from start to finish.
    :pirat:

5. Thanks for the heads up guys. I went to the office today and got the ball rolling as always I need to wait on Glasgow for paper work and we will see from there. I've expressed my interest in becoming a submariner so fingers crossed they need bods!

Lol slim I will try to resist digging holes and crapping in them ;)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

6. Ninja thanks for the info it's very helpful. Does my pension start over rather than continue?

7. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

A&SH perchance?

8. Lol no pwrr I was born in Plymouth so for my sins support Plymouth argyle

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It starts afresh. Your 10/22nds AFPS will pay out under that scheme from age 55 and if you complete the term of your second contract, you'll get 8/18ths (or whatever)

Actually, thinking about it, the AFPS 05 will be 18 years minus the ten served OR until age 40 - whichever is LONGER - so you could squeeze ten years, theoretically. With regard the pay - you'll be advised what increment you'll go onto, once trained, in the approval to process letter. If the break in service is over 5 years by the time you join, odds are you'll be on the flat rate. Financially, you'll almost certainly be better off re-joining your former Regiment/Corps, if eligible.

10. You say that like its a bad thing!

• Like Like x 1
  11. You've gone for a shower during Action Stations? Must have impressed the hell out of the FOSTies.

• Like Like x 1