Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Ex Army, joining Navy age 36, going comms tech! Got questions

Whats a crab?

"Origins of 'Crab'
...Another more plausible explanation as to why the RN refer to the RAF as 'crabs' goes back to the days of rum, sodomy and the lash (about last week in fact). One of the more unsavoury aspects of the average matelot was his unfortunate habit of contracting pubic lice or "crabs" during his shore leave. The treatment for this condition was to get a chum or shipmate to apply a liberal application of a greasy blue/grey ointment (known affectionately as "crab fat") to the affected area. The proper name for the ointment was Blue Unction.

With the RN's usual powers of witty allusion and sophistication the RAF were thereafter referred to as 'crab fats' (or crabs for short) as their blue/grey uniform was exactly the same colour as the stuff that the filthy little ratings rubbed on their swollen and lice-ravaged goolies. The RAF by contrast affectionately refer to the Royal Navy as Bum Boys or Fish Heads. The Army are Pongos, Brown Jobs or Grunts.":D

"Origins of 'Crab'
...Another more plausible explanation as to why the RN refer to the RAF as 'crabs' goes back to the days of rum, sodomy and the lash (about last week in fact). One of the more unsavoury aspects of the average matelot was his unfortunate habit of contracting pubic lice or "crabs" during his shore leave. The treatment for this condition was to get a chum or shipmate to apply a liberal application of a greasy blue/grey ointment (known affectionately as "crab fat") to the affected area. The proper name for the ointment was Blue Unction.

With the RN's usual powers of witty allusion and sophistication the RAF were thereafter referred to as 'crab fats' (or crabs for short) as their blue/grey uniform was exactly the same colour as the stuff that the filthy little ratings rubbed on their swollen and lice-ravaged goolies. The RAF by contrast affectionately refer to the Royal Navy as Bum Boys or Fish Heads. The Army are Pongos, Brown Jobs or Grunts.":D

Ha ha. Awesome. I heard pongo before, its also what the guy in the careers office said when he gave me my test result.

"Not bad for a pongo". Lol.

Thanks for the heads up on crab!

"Origins of 'Crab'

Bandy you seem to know alot about gun shell blue grease, please tell your sorrowful storey, should we call you scratcher?:)

:rolleyes:If you have to call me anything, call me scablifter, I was never the scratcher, that pos always fell to a semen.
I dished out the AL63 when the shagnasties came to me tearfully clamouring for something to quell their unbearable itches.:D

Last edited:
I was offered the April intake a few weeks ago (apparently they are desperate for CTs) however I had to turn it down, so I was offered the next available date which is in September. Will you be aiming for the September date @sj25105815 ?

Latest Threads