Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Ex Army, joining Navy age 36, going comms tech! Got questions

Telic and Herrick with bars, plus jubilee and accumulated campaign service! Should also look a bit random on a passing out parade, ha ha.

Still, need to actually get to Raleigh first before i worry too much about the little details.

Mate I'm also 36 and have done 19 years. There'll undoubtably be people well under half your age in your new entry class. As long as you're not bothered by that, you'll be fine. Expect to be class leader though, and the instructors will expect more from youd

Mate I'm only 35 and have done 19 years. There'll undoubtably be people well under half your age in your new entry class. As long as you're not bothered by that, you'll be fine. Expect to be class leader though, and the instructors will expect more from youd

Thats fine. I made my peace with it the day i decided to apply. Ill be happy to help the younger folk. Whats the point in having experience if you just want to walk round with a chip on your shoulder rather than use it?

Another thing i learnt once i left the army, is that some army blokes from the last 10 years or so think they are special. I used to be one of them. Then you leave and realise no one really gives a flying f#$k! Its a real attitude changer. I have met a few in the security industry, and i ended up just thinking, "Wow, i hope i wasnt that much of an arrogant nob!". I guess its a learning curve for everyone when they leave.

I am a totally different person in many ways now, than when i left. Thats why i dont regret leaving, it has been a good experience. As long as i can get into the Navy now! Otherwise ill be cursing.

Being out makes you appreciate things you take for granted when the armed forces is all you know. One of the main reasons i want to join the Navy and be back in the military again.

One of the main reasons i want to join the Navy and be back in the military again.
Military-esque anyway. We prefer to go into battle in an air-conditioned environment with a duty free bar, smoking duty-free tabs, scoffing Chef prepared meals, sleeping on sprung mattresses with fluffy feather pillows, together with plumbed hot and cold showers, flush lavatories and a place to sunbathe when the weather's half decent. "It's jolly civilised, isn't it?" I remember saying to my butler in the South Atlantic, once. "Now, have you finished polishing my shoes?".

Military-esque anyway. We prefer to go into battle in an air-conditioned environment with a duty free bar, smoking duty-free tabs, scoffing Chef prepared meals, sleeping on sprung mattresses with fluffy feather pillows, together with plumbed hot and cold showers, flush lavatories and a place to sunbathe when the weather's half decent. "It's jolly civilised, isn't it?" I remember saying to my butler in the South Atlantic, once. "Now, have you finished polishing my shoes?".

I spent enough time roughing it, in my more mature years i could definitely handle a more civilised military-esque lifestyle, ha ha.

Ninja, what's these chef prepared meals, were you on one of those posh Cruise liners down south?

If he joins submarines, forget the sunbathing bit, unless by the side of a hotel pool on a Jolly.

God luck, when you make it post us a photo of your left shoulder in No1's if it's still called that. Should be a classic NE eye catcher.

Ninja, what's these chef prepared meals, were you on one of those posh Cruise liners down south?

If he joins submarines, forget the sunbathing bit, unless by the side of a hotel pool on a Jolly.

God luck, when you make it post us a photo of your left shoulder in No1's if it's still called that. Should be a classic NE eye catcher.

Cheers mate :)

Will do!

https://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/threads/women-an-appreciation.52538/page-176#post-1377769

As a newly wed don't get court on Billy's favourite thread? Ha ha
Ex Army or not she will still pock your eye out with a sharp stick.

When you leave the Navy, you will again feel that you are special, you will be, you just have to live with being ex RN, spin dits and take the piss, knowing the average civy will never understand.

Ha ha ill just have to get institutionalised all over again. Its ok.

Lol at that other thread!

Telic and Herrick with bars, plus jubilee and accumulated campaign service! Should also look a bit random on a passing out parade, ha ha.

Still, need to actually get to Raleigh first before i worry too much about the little details.
With the medals bit, you won't be the first new entrant with a chest full.

For a dit, when I joined up in 1973, there was an ex-crab who'd transferred and was entitled to 3 good conduct badges and he was made class leader.

Class leaders wore a chevron on their left arm when in No 1's. On his passing out he had 4 gcb's on his arm, he even made it into the Navy News :)

Whats a crab?

Oh i have no delusions of being possibly the only one i am sure there must be a others that have done it.

Especially now.

Latest Threads