Ex Army - Diagnosed with PTSD

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Tomo3666, Jul 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ex Army - Diagnosed with PTSD looking to join RN

Hi all,

I'm ex Army and I was discharged in 2006 with PTSD. I have been looking at a career in the RN for a few months now and would love to join as an ME, as I kind of made a bad career move in the Army with the Infantry... My PTSD symptoms are gone, and have been for a few months, but I'm worried my AD perscription (which I never actually got in to a full course of) will stop me from joining! I am gong to the AFCO on Friday, but wondered if anyone could give me any advice??
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  2. AD is the resident doc but best bet is to see what the AFCO say.
  3. Sorry, I know AD as a short term for Anti-deppresant...! I shall go and see what they say!
  4. Oh right! I see! I look forward to his reply in that case! Haha.
  5. My bad..assumption and all that.
  6. Welcome, Tom.

How old are you?
  7. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

MOD Warning: Crayon and get infracted.
  8. Thanks Soleil, I'm 26
  9. Thought I would ask, as ET has a slightly earlier cut-off age (30) but you are under 30 anyway.
  10. You do realise that if you join as an ME you will become a God amongst men (oh, and women), did I mention I was an ME :)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

From an AFCO perspective, it's the medical Examiner's shout, not that of the AFCO.

Having recently processed a guy in a similar situation recently and in order to manage realistic expectations, a medical discharge for PTSD can significantly affect future employment prospects in the Armed Forces due to the fact there is a higher than average likelihood that the circumstances or environment giving rise to the condition causing discharge could unfortunately recur.

Obviously each case is treated upon it's individual circumstances, but the advice is to keep alternative career options ongoing whilst submitting an application to rejoin the Armed Forces to maintain fall back options if things don't go your way.

In any event, best of luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The caution is in the diagnosis. If it is sound, then you are unlikely to pass the medical I'm afraid.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (iOS)