Evocative aroma's

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by slim, May 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The sense of smell is a wonderful thing. Even more interesting though is the way certain smells trigger events in ones memory.

Some of mine are:

Cabbage being cooked ........................School Dinners (Yuck)
    Freshly Baked Bread.............................Arriving home from school
    The scent of Jasmin...............................Northern Cyprus
    Disinfectant..........................................Hospitals
    FFO......................................................HMS Eagle (first ship)

Must be loads more out there

2. France - Garlic and vanilla and Gauloise ciggies (changed now but it still smells that way to me).
    Rotting aluminium - can detect that at 100metres. I smell it on aircraft and first noticed it on the composite minehunters. Not evocative but a signal of impending disaster.
    Burnt rubber/oil etc - the smell you get at banger races. I absolutely love these meetings and the people that go to them.

3. mmmm dare I say it?
    .........no!............wonder who will be first :wink:

4. Yep we can all go there in our own little way..
    Try to think outside the box! :lol:

5. Burning rubber :D

6. Outside the box? - no chance! - I hardly ever think of anywhere else :wink:

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Cheese = my gulch... :D

8. FFO.......... a Stoker friend of mine (Ecostoker in fact)
    Dettol....... the school first aid room (which I spent quite a bit of time in)
    Cheap soap....... the school changing rooms (yuk!)
    Fizzy Vitamin C tablets.... a 60s orange flavoured children's drink that came in a sachet, called Sparkling Spring
    Burning....... when I made a thermite bomb at school and set fire to the workbench in the chemistry lab oops!
    Champagne........ bobbing up and down on water
    Prawns......... yachting off the IoW (where I first tasted them!)

Evocative music:-

Vaughan Williams's Lark Ascending........... the Battle of Britain and what we were fighting for; oh and er, the G Spot....

9. Coal smoke, hot oil, creosote and that "tinny" smell of steam = real railways

10. Nice one Loggie yes real railways, recently visited North Yorks Moors puffa trains and thats the smell.

Others are

Fish Pie = first meal in the Andrew in 1962 at Raleigh (never had it since)
    BBQ = first one in Australia (never had a better one but tried) at least the beer here is more to my taste.
    Fish and Chips = Whitby the best ever tasted

11. The smell of coal. Bar boats

12. Saltwater-cooking pipis off Waihi Beach, NZ, aged about 4
    Banana sandwhichs-first day of school (yuk, thanks mum?)
    Calamine Lotion-getting hives after eating too many plums
    Betadine-first clincal day as a student nurse
    Aftershave-Hugo Buss 'Elements'-no comment :lol:

13. Beer, salty crisps and freshly-mown grass. Cricket club my dad used to play for when I was a nipper.

14. Cigar smoke - Christmas as a kid
    Oh yeah, and I love the smell of napalm in the morning

15. The smell of the sea of course...brings back tons of memories. But as I live in the midlands now, don't get much smell of the sea here!!
    (occasional shitehawk passes over, but he's on his way to the local tip!) :lol: :lol:

16. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Banana butties. Yummy! :p

I should like, unreservedly, to apologise to Pinta for what was posted here a few minutes ago, which I have now removed.

17. The smell of napalm in the morning.

It smells of victory.

Sorry, but someone had to say it :roll:

18. Best perfume for women by far = Eternity. its basically the definition of sex in the air.

Laura Bush could come up to me wearing that and as long as i didn't open my eyes, i couldn't care less, i'd shag her stupid.

19. Erm...........

20. (on a serious note)

That weird smell I always get at some point in Spring that tells you Summer is nearly here