Evocative aroma's

The sense of smell is a wonderful thing. Even more interesting though is the way certain smells trigger events in ones memory.

Some of mine are:

Cabbage being cooked ........................School Dinners (Yuck)
Freshly Baked Bread.............................Arriving home from school
The scent of Jasmin...............................Northern Cyprus
Disinfectant..........................................Hospitals
FFO......................................................HMS Eagle (first ship)

Must be loads more out there

France - Garlic and vanilla and Gauloise ciggies (changed now but it still smells that way to me).
Rotting aluminium - can detect that at 100metres. I smell it on aircraft and first noticed it on the composite minehunters. Not evocative but a signal of impending disaster.
Burnt rubber/oil etc - the smell you get at banger races. I absolutely love these meetings and the people that go to them.

FFO.......... a Stoker friend of mine (Ecostoker in fact)
Dettol....... the school first aid room (which I spent quite a bit of time in)
Cheap soap....... the school changing rooms (yuk!)
Fizzy Vitamin C tablets.... a 60s orange flavoured children's drink that came in a sachet, called Sparkling Spring
Burning....... when I made a thermite bomb at school and set fire to the workbench in the chemistry lab oops!
Champagne........ bobbing up and down on water
Prawns......... yachting off the IoW (where I first tasted them!)

Evocative music:-

Vaughan Williams's Lark Ascending........... the Battle of Britain and what we were fighting for; oh and er, the G Spot....

Harry1

Lantern Swinger
Nice one Loggie yes real railways, recently visited North Yorks Moors puffa trains and thats the smell.

Others are

Fish Pie = first meal in the Andrew in 1962 at Raleigh (never had it since)
BBQ = first one in Australia (never had a better one but tried) at least the beer here is more to my taste.
Fish and Chips = Whitby the best ever tasted

Saltwater-cooking pipis off Waihi Beach, NZ, aged about 4
Banana sandwhichs-first day of school (yuk, thanks mum?)
Calamine Lotion-getting hives after eating too many plums
Betadine-first clincal day as a student nurse
Aftershave-Hugo Buss 'Elements'-no comment :lol:

The smell of the sea of course...brings back tons of memories. But as I live in the midlands now, don't get much smell of the sea here!!
(occasional shitehawk passes over, but he's on his way to the local tip!) :lol: :lol:

aussiepint said:
Saltwater-cooking pipis off Waihi Beach, NZ, aged about 4
Banana sandwhichs-first day of school (yuk, thanks mum?)
Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Banana butties. Yummy! :p

I should like, unreservedly, to apologise to Pinta for what was posted here a few minutes ago, which I have now removed.

Best perfume for women by far = Eternity. its basically the definition of sex in the air.

Laura Bush could come up to me wearing that and as long as i didn't open my eyes, i couldn't care less, i'd shag her stupid.

Latest Threads