Eustachian Tube Disorder/Medical

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Newbie14, Feb 18, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Quick medical question. I have searched but not found anything specific.

I have Eustachian Tube Disorder, which for those who don't know, means my ears can't equalise pressure at the usual rate, so I have to do this myself or they pop quite painfully. I have full control over it now.

I've always wondered, would this stop me joining up? I also want to skydive/parachute at some point. I want to join as an engineer (Not submariner) so I wouldn't have thought so, but thought I'd ask.

I also USED to have asthma as a child and joint problems in my late teens because I used to be clinically obese, would this preclude me from joining? I also have had Hep B vaccinations due to possible exposure at work, this wouldn't cause any problems would it? (Hepatitis is mentioned on the medical notes, but in terms of actually having the disease)

2. Hope I'm not breaching persec, but this is you isn't it?

• Like Like x 3
  3. The fact you cannot equalise your ears at altitude, or depth could lead to some sever pain including damage to your ear I suspect. I am not a medic but have spent half a career flying and the act of going flying with a simple head cold can present some serious problems.

I braved it out once and went flying with a head cold, blocked tubes. Not twice in a career - the pain can be immense.
  4. Evening,

Your symptoms as described may not stop you applying, but the information about all of your conditions would need to be evaluated by the AFCO Dr.

The worrying things you mention are joint issues and weight, but if you are honest you will get the correct answer for you.

Good luck.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  5. Only issue if you
    need grommets. Else seen as a temporary issue.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  6. No, I had grommets as a child, and the left one left a scar on my eardrum as it fell out early and had to be operated on again, but nothing in there now.