Euryalus History

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
What's it made of, please, and what is the diameter? I think it's not from the (Leander class frigate) Euryalus VI as I would have remembered it from my two years in her.

What's it made of, please, and what is the diameter? I think it's not from the (Leander class frigate) Euryalus VI as I would have remembered it from my two years in her.
I did three years as the Flight Aircrewie. Great times. FI's patrol, DTS - only bad thing was it also covered the Wasp disbanding in 88.
Agree it wasn't the Leander F15. (I think). Maybe this one!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Euryalus_(42)
But I suspect one of the sages of yesteryear will have some info.

"What's it made of, please, and what is the diameter? I think it's not from the (Leander class frigate) Euryalus VI as I would have remembered it from my two years in her."
Made from aluminium
40cm in diameter

Asked about the item on the HMS Euryalus group on face ache. Hopefully some wise man will know something of its background.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
If it's aluminium I think it must be something from the Dido-class cruiser Euryalus V or (outside possibility) the frigate after her Ikara refit.

V or VI, it's difficult to think of any 16" hole sufficiently on public display to merit a rather rough plaque like that over it.

Pass. Sorry to be no help!

It's probably a longshot but maybe it was a plaque, (painted at the time - in colour!), attached to a ceremonial muzzle cover of the 9.2" guns of the WWI HMS Euryalus.

I realise there's quite a size difference in diameter but perhaps that could be explained by the increase in external diameter at the muzzle of the gun.

Just an idea I had after an afternoon in the pub :)

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I doubt anything on board Euryaus IV would have been made of aluminium.

Plus, tompions are much heavier things and much better made.

Thanks for all the replies guys, hopefully someone will get to the bottom of it.
Cheers
Apparently this 'cover' was hanging on the ropery wall for years before it was obtained.

Just as a side note my Father, Grand Father, Great Grand Father and both my Great Uncles worked at Chatham Dockyard.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Seaweed History 0
Jenwren Social & Reunions 4
N Social & Reunions 30