Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

EuroPride 2006 - RN's uniformed contingent

Hi all

I was one of the "mincing matelots" who marched in Euro pride on Saturday and I have to say it was one of the best days of my life! To be able to represent the navy in such a high profile event was fantastic. :D

We were right at the front of the parade, the crowds were cheering us as we passed I have never felt as proud, as I did on that day.

It was an important event because it showed people that the navy is committed to its equal ops policy and takes diversity seriously

It was also important because it showed the scared and lonely matlot who is so far in the closet that he’s in narnia, that he is not the only puff in the navy, and that there are lots more out there and its ok to be gay

To the guys who posted positive replies – cheers lads, means a lot

To the other slightly less than tolerant of you I’m not a mincing, flag waving, brown hatter I’m a member of Her Majesties Royal Navy who just happens to be gay. There are lots of us however I would be happy to by you a beer as everyone has the right to disagree.

Illegitimi non carborundum

:D

Hegs said:
Hi all

I was one of the "mincing matelots" who marched in Euro pride on Saturday and I have to say it was one of the best days of my life! To be able to represent the navy in such a high profile event was fantastic. :D

We were right at the front of the parade, the crowds were cheering us as we passed I have never felt as proud, as I did on that day.

It was an important event because it showed people that the navy is committed to its equal ops policy and takes diversity seriously

It was also important because it showed the scared and lonely matlot who is so far in the closet that he’s in narnia, that he is not the only puff in the navy, and that there are lots more out there and its ok to be gay

To the other slightly less than tolerant of you I’m not a mincing, flag waving, brown hatter I’m a member of Her Majesties Royal Navy who just happens to be gay. There are lots of us however I would be happy to by you a beer as everyone has the right to disagree.

You have got balls my friend, I'll give you that. It doesn't change my opinion on marching in your uniform in a gay march or any other though, I still think it is wrong (not being queer but marching in rig at a rally). Out of interest, do the lads in your mess know about you and if so, do you get much grief, be honest. Talking to most people I know they don't like it as it makes them feel uneasy, but I also know that what most people think is not always what they say to someones face for fear of upsetting them.

NozzyNozzer said:
Shakey said:
I've got nothing against it, I just don't want it rammed down my throat.

As the missus says, don't slag something off until you've tried it! :lol:

? Remember that until 2003 gays faced imprisonment and 7-10 years on the sex offenders register if they were caught holding hands or kissing in a public place and a member of the public complained or a policeman spotted them. This usually led to suicide before it reached the local Magistrates Court! This means that there are still people on the register who were put there for consensually kissing another adult man in a public place. What would we think if we had been subject to laws like that until 3 years ago?

The other thing that has been pointed out to me is how women feel about being portrayed as sex objects all the time by, er, matelots... :oops:

Nozzy

I was Plod in London 70's to 90's no person male on male, female on female or male on female ever got arrested for kissing or holding hands. Now sex acts in a public place, all three combinations were arrested for gross indecency in a public place. WHY COS KISSING AND HOLDING HANDS FAILS TO MEET THE EVIDENTIAL CRITERIA OF INDECENCY LET ALONE GROSS REQUIRED TO ARREST LET ALONE CHARGE. The sex register did not exist then so you could not bet put on it prior to 2003.

Shakey

Like any female you have ever tried to chat up when a gay guy tries to chat you up you can always say NO. That assumes you are a reasonable looking man that someone would want to chat you up.

Nutty

Having had the experience of having a gay member of my team the reality is in my experience different. At the end of the day they are just people like any one else, and if they do their job, and take part in normal group activities there is little problem.

Peter

Maxi_77 said:
Having had the experience of having a gay member of my team the reality is in my experience different. At the end of the day they are just people like any one else, and if they do their job, and take part in normal[/b] group activities there is little problem.

Peter
Hear hear, normal (not daisy chains) :lol: :twisted:

Well done Hegs.

The truth is that there is nothing new about gays in the navy, the only difference is that they no longer have to live in fear of prosecution. Remember that there would have been gay sailors in every battle in WWII, WWI and going to before Trafalgar.

I guess that participation in gay pride events is important as the RN still has some way to make up after years of persecuting gays.

I remember when the rules changed in 2000 (I think) and many (probably me included if I am honest) thought that the world would end and the fleet sink. I don't know which Admiral took that decision but he was a brave man who did the right thing.

Here we go :lol:

Homosexuals can’t swim,
they attract enemy radar,
they attract sharks,
they insist on being placed on the Captain’s table,
they get up late,
they nudge people while they’re shooting,
they MUCK ABOUT.

Imagine the fear of knowing you have a gay man on board a boat: when you retire at night you think to yourself, “God, will I wake up and find everybody dead?â€. You can’t run a ship like that.

I am not sure that uniform should be worn at any type of public demonstration to support a cause however worthy. Many years ago we only ever went ashore in uniform civvies were not allowed. If you wanted to wear civvies in any port or place you had to change out of uniform. I do not see many of our current servicemen, gay or not being so proud of the uniform that thwey wear it ashore.

Are we going to allow people in uniform to march in support of

Greenpeace
BNP
Conservative Party
Labour Party
Liberal Party
WVS
One Eyed Black Lesbian for Peace in Iraq

Come on people get real, on the alter of PC Jack can parade his uniform on non military occassions if the Powers to be think they will gain some form of good publicity. How many of the above would the Admiralty approve of.

Nutty

Wouldn't it be great if the Village people started making recruitment adverts for our mob instead of the "team works " crap?

Where can you find pleasure
Search the world for treasure
Learn science technology
Where can you begin to make your dreams all come true
On the land or on the sea

In the navy
Yes, you can sail the seven seas
In the navy
Yes, you can put your mind at ease
In the navy

If you like adventure
Don't you wait to enter
The recruiting office fast
Don't you hesitate
There is no need to wait
They're signing up for semen fast
Maybe you are too young
To join up today
Bout don't you worry 'bout a thing
For I'm sure there will be
Always a good navy
Protecting the land and sea

They want you, they want you
They want you as a new recruit

Nutty said:
Nozzy

I was Plod in London 70's to 90's no person male on male, female on female or male on female ever got arrested for kissing or holding hands. Now sex acts in a public place, all three combinations were arrested for gross indecency in a public place. WHY COS KISSING AND HOLDING HANDS FAILS TO MEET THE EVIDENTIAL CRITERIA OF INDECENCY LET ALONE GROSS REQUIRED TO ARREST LET ALONE CHARGE. The sex register did not exist then so you could not bet put on it prior to 2003.

Nutty

Hi Nutty,

Legally two males holding hands or kissing in a public place prior to the 2003 Act was gross indecency between men, and I'm afraid the police in London, who were after all strongly opposed to the decriminalisation* of homosexuality in 1967, did arrest men for doing this & it is well documented in surveys of gay men who were victimised, in research done at, for example, Birkbeck. Mostly the cases were thrown out by the Magistrates, but this was of no use to those who had already topped themselves. Of course most topped themselves for gross indecency in public places, including having sex in their own bedrooms in a flat shared with another person. I have done research into homophobia myself for several years - lots of things I didn't think went on, did go on. I remember a number of policemen (all men) proudly describing how they used to ensnare gays... assuming that I as an ex-matelot, shared their attitudes - canteen culture. When the Sex offenders registers were introduced gays even cautioned for "gross indecency" were placed on the registers, a point raised several times during discussion of the SOA Bill in Parliament.

Nozzy.

* PS: I've just spent 15 minutes trying to correctly spell this word - I hadn't realised that gamma rays could make one's brain go even mushier than before :lol: :lol: :lol: Watch it Nutty, I'm radioactive! :lol: 8)

Hegs said:
Hi all

Welcome on board Hegs. I'm very proud of you and your shipmates for participating in the parade and hope the contingent is bigger next year (& the weather is cooler!!!).

I look forward to you becoming a regular contributor to Rum Ration which is in definate need of input by gay matelots to put a balanced case, so if you can persuade your colleagues to join up please do so.

Please could we have some photographs in the phots section if possible, again to reflect the modern RN.

I have suggested us having a charity raising Rum Ration Calendar for 2007 - not sure if it will get off the ground this year though - so if you're interested, please visit Calendar.

You might also want to put some balance into a story about a group of eccentric submariners (fiction) a group of us are writing at ?

Nozzy.

The whole subject of queers in the mob and marching around at rallies in rig and everyone's perceptions of it just makes me want to go AAARRRGGGHHHHH!

I have had civvy jobs where I worked with gays and lezzers, some of my work friends were gays or lezzers, I've been to gay bars and had gays try to chat me up (I did say "No" by the way Nutty) and I've also worked in public buildings which have been used for cottaging and you were scared to go to the bog in case someone might do something that you might find downright distasteful.

If gays want to be in the Navy, they should keep it to themselves. As for heterosexuals flaunting their sexuality, well heterosexuality is the norm and has to be the norm and I can't see why minorities should have special status or extra credence accorded to their views and wishes just 'cos they're a minority.

Dip me in honey and throw me to the lesbians.

NozzyNozzer said:
Welcome on board Hegs. I'm very proud of you and your shipmates for participating in the parade and hope the contingent is bigger next year (& the weather is cooler!!!).

I look forward to you becoming a regular contributor to Rum Ration which is in definate need of input by gay matelots to put a balanced case, so if you can persuade your colleagues to join up please do so.

Please could we have some photographs in the phots section if possible, again to reflect the modern RN.

I have suggested us having a charity raising Rum Ration Calendar for 2007 - not sure if it will get off the ground this year though - so if you're interested, please visit Calendar.

You might also want to put some balance into a story about a group of eccentric submariners (fiction) a group of us are writing at ?

Nozzy.
Sorry but what phots are you on about? Surely these "boys" look like the rest of us, no?

Latest Threads