Europol: New-style Islamic State group seeks to target Europe

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Stirlin, Jan 25, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am sure that anyone with half a brain cell would have figured out that extremists have infiltrated the deluge of migrants. Daesh has overrun regional administration office and gained access to genuine passports and other identity documents. The U.K. needs to be ultra vigilant in processing any of these people.

2. Much has been made of the plight of the refugees from Syria and in the case of families and in particular the children they are worthy of our concern. But along with all those families come hoards of fit unattached young men who's true intentions for fleeing Syria are not fully understood. We already know that among the so-called refugees Daesh has sent their men to help with the cause on European soil but what we don't know is how many and where they are now.
    I don't know how laid back some of you are about this and it seems pointless to worry about things you have no control over. Trump's call to ban all Muslims from entering America may have touched the rednecks and likeminded but even if it were logistically possible(which it isn't) we still couldn't stop the determined terrorist.
    It is now 10 years since we had a full blown terrorist atrocity on the UK mainland but how long before the next one. Even MI5 are forecasting another and they are our best hope of preventing it.

3. I'm young(ish), fit and of fighting age. I wouldn't want to hang around in Syria either. A lot of people seem to think that the majority of fighting age males are a threat. That they should 'stay and fight' rather than seek asylum.

Anyone thinking they would be capable of making a difference to what is going on in their country clearly doesn't understand the impossibly fucked up situation.

A terrorist attack is unfortunately inevitable, there's very little you can do to stop it. Terrorists can't win and we can't win the war on terror. All we can do is contain the threat as best we can.

That's it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. As long as we do not put boots on the ground to try and win it , another major attack here could push Dave & Co into that way of thinking.

5. Lets be realistic we could have an attack here on the scale of 9/11 and that isn't going to make David Cameron put troops on the ground. The Army is around 80,000 people that is not big enough to sustain a solo effort against ISIS.
    If and when Obama or the next US President decide to put troops on the ground then David Cameron may consider it.

6. Exactly I think some young British half wit sat in his bedroom reading ISIS vitriol on twatter posses a much greater threat than supposed ISIS agents sneaking in with refugees.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Only 80.000 troops ? , when has that ever worried a politician , Dave has already tried to go it alone in Libya but lost the vote , possibly boosted by Corbyn haters in the Lab party would swing it for him.
    The French probably thought some half wit on Twatter was their only concern. Just asking questions like.

8. To bomb Libya thats a whole world away from what is needed in Syria and Iraq. Boots on the ground won't happen unless the yanks are up for it or theres an entire change of the world order and we throw in with the Russians if they go for it. We couldn't even keep the mission going in Helmand once the yanks said they were withdrawing wholesale support.

9. Good points , more level head than me.

10. There is a big difference between you and one of these so called young male asylum seekers. Syria is THEIR country.
    Now if the flipflop was on the other foot and some insurgents kicked orf would you feck off to Benidorm or fight for YOUR country?

• Like Like x 3
  11. How do you propose these people fight for their country, realistically how does that actually look? The country doesn't function and to many of these people joining Assad may not be a better alternative than joining the other loons.
    In world war 2 people managed to escape and come to the UK so they could arm themselves and take the fight to another group of whack jobs who were dishing out genocide in their homelands. These Syrians don't have that option, to be honest these Syrians have very few options to fight for their country in a way which would actually mean anything.

• Like Like x 2
  12. I was putting myself in their shoes.

If it was anything like the situation in Syria, you bet your arse I'd be out of there. Anyone who says otherwise is either taking bravado based bollocks or doesn't understand the Syria situation at all.

13. Well a certain Froggie General fecked off to the UK in the 40s, hid in an office doing sweet FA and then returned a hero in 45.
    Problem with these fit young men is that they have no intention of returning to Syria once the conflict is sorted.

The behaviour of those in Calais is reprehensible. What they are doing is breaking the law.
    Anyone who is caught should be fingerprinted, DNA tested & prosecuted. They should then be informed that the UK will not entertain ANY applications for asylum from criminals which they now will be.

• Like Like x 2
  14. How do you know they have no intention of going back?

Typical nimby Kipper attitude with a metaphor that doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Shame.

15. From history, how many asylum seekers have returned to country of origin after gaining right to stay in the UK in the past 50 years.
    I suppose I could put in a freedom of information request but I know and you know that is isn't very many.
    As a field engineer I have resided for long periods in many countries around the globe and have found no place better than the UK. However the UK is my BIRTHRIGHT.

Edited to report that I have just been searching the internet for numbers of refugee and asylum seekers who HAVE returned voluntarily to their countries of origin.
    I can find no figures, which to me means that very few will return.
    I will be more than happy if you can prove me wrong Monty

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  16. Needs more pomp, ceremony, purple rosettes and Union Flags Slim. You sound like Katie Hopkins, seriously.

3/10. Must try harder.

17. I'm from Wales now living in England. I have no intention of going back :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Bit harsh Monty she is a fuggly with a mouth like Scarb'ro harbour.

19. You mean she dries out at low tide?

• Like Like x 1