European Driving Laws

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by sgtpepperband, Jun 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Some handy info, care of Halfords:

2. Random. Do you ever leave your job at work?
  3. sgtpepperband

But I don't work at Halfords... :shock:
  4. SJ you triangle playing camper- right here is me being mature and not giving orifices shit. I too have a camper and too travel to France a LOT. Get your breatherlysers in the first supermarket you get to. They will only cost you about 1.50 euros. It is true you can't have sat nav with camera alert. Simply keep your Tom Tom at a lower height. They really aren't that bothered. To prevent any action with the gendarme throw your hi viz jackets over your front seats.
  5. sgtpepperband

Pink oboes? Camper vans? Have I stumbled across the wrong thread, by some chance..? :shock:
  6. He'll fit the roof container, set up your sat nav and fix your headlights as well, said so on the telly.
  7. sgtpepperband

Bite me, sugartits!
  8. As for the French Breathalyser law. It is from July but fines will not start to be enforced until November. Until then, verbal warnings will be given. When you buy them, there are 2 in a pack so you just need one pack. French ones only as their alcohol limit is lower than the UK.
    As for speed camera locations. Tom Tom and others now call the sites 'Danger Zones', or similar. These are not illegal. They are less specific than the camera locations though. Or so they claim!
    Have a nice holiday.
  9. News from France!

My winger has just returned and not only are they removing those nice big warning signs (coz when you saw them you knew there was a camera coming up ...) they're also changing the type from those fecking great things the size of a telephone box to some dinky little digital contraption the size of a packet of fags!

However ... ViaMitchelin (ViaMichelin: driving directions, maps, traffic news, weather forecast, restaurants and hotel booking ) routes do show the position of all the fixed camera sites so useful to print out before you go - and its free!
  10. sgtpepperband

I know it's a radical idea but... rather than trying to come up with devious ways to avoid the safety cameras why not just drive in accordance with the speed limit? :oops:
  11. its the one where they sit on a bridge above the motorway you have to watch for cuz the gendarmes on bikes will be about and pull you in no big deal 90 euro and away you go.
    fixed cameras dont worry if they dont see it flash they wont knock on your door looking cash.
    but french drivers are good at letting you know the gendarmes have a speed trap set up will give u a flash to warn you cuz they hate the money grabbing scum as well.
  12. sgtpepperband

So how many of those advocating the disregard for French road traffic laws would be quite so supportive of, say, East European lorry drivers doing the same thing on UK roads? It's the same difference - drive into an EU country; commit an offence; Police unable to do anything because of limited or no access to continental vehicle databases; driver carries on with their business without a care in the world? All very clever until it's your relative who is knocked down. It's hard enough in this country to secure a satisfactory conviction when it is a UK driver; how would you feel if you had no chance of legal restitution against a European visitor?
  13. spp iv seen it from both sides having to go to someones house and tell them the bad news.

but ref drivers from other countrys involved with serious driving offences in other countrys they are held until it is proven if they are at fault or not.
    not like the british system of a couple of days them they are let go because its against their human rights.
    have you ever tried to get a driver back from france or germany they can never be found or the police just keep mislaying the paperwork not like here when a full riot squad turns up to hand you back .

14. What the fcuk are you on about???? I didn't see anyone advocating driving beyond the speed limit - just being aware of where the fixed cameras are ... because French camera's tend to be where there have been fatal accidents or are blackspots unlike the UK who put them in stupid places ... nothing was said about zooming past them at warp speed

Incidentally V8 ... seems that DVLA are now communicating with the Frog Gendarmes about letting them know where you live if you get caught speeding in France ... and putting French Points on your UK licence!

15. Already the case in Spain I'm afraid. Here they GIVE you 12 points, then when you are naughty, they take them away until you have none left. In the UK you have none to start with, and when you are naughty they GIVE you points until you get 12................ see where I'm going with this?

Re those with a holier than thou attitude to speed cameras, let's take the 'European' option. For many driving in Europe, quite apart from driving on the wrong side of the road, the speeds will in general be faster and in KPH not MPH. So unless you can change your digital odometer to KPH you'll be peering at a small figure on the dial while trying to keep to 130 KPH, oops, it just dropped to 120/100 KPH right where that camera is. SHIT.

I do not believe there is ANYONE who drives can swear he/she has NEVER speeded.
  16. I've always subscribed to the "International Rules Apply" mantra.
  17. Agree ... Continental roads are faster ... but they are wider and better maintained! My Audi rattles like fcuk in the UK ... get it onto the roads in France it doesn't make a sound! Why is it BT/Utilities/Council can dig a hole and when they fill it in they leave a speed hump the size of Kilimanjaro which takes out your suspension ... in France they dig several holes in the road bigger, deeper and faster and manage to fill them in flush with the original road surface!

In UK ... "Mind the Pothole"! .... In France "Whats a Pothole"?