EU Referendum / Brexit & Fallout

EU Referendum 2016. Do you want to stay in, or get out?

• Stay in the EU.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • Get out of the EU.

Votes: 137 69.2%
  • Don't know

Votes: 15 7.6%

• Total voters
Spain has a right to Gibraltar because it was always part of Spain before the British stole it..........

Er, no, Jose. Gibraltar was Moorish until the Spanish stole it from the Moors.

But historically Gibraltar has been Spanish longer than British!

Ere, no, again. Britain has held Gibraltar for over 300 years, longer than Spain did. And apart from the issue of Ceuta and Melilla, I seem to remember that Spain did claim England in 1588......what a load of bowls.

N

Nippit

Spain has a right to Gibraltar because it was always part of Spain before the British stole it..........

Er, no, Jose. Gibraltar was Moorish until the Spanish stole it from the Moors.

But historically Gibraltar has been Spanish longer than British!

Ere, no, again. Britain has held Gibraltar for over 300 years, longer than Spain did. And apart from the issue of Ceuta and Melilla, I seem to remember that Spain did claim England in 1588......what a load of bowls.
My Son in Law has found this:-

Spanish Netherlands (Spanish: Países Bajos españoles; Dutch: Spaanse Nederlanden); French: Pays-Bas espagnols) was the collective name of States of the Holy Roman Empire in the Low Countries, held in personal union by the Spanish Crown (also called Habsburg Spain) from 1581 to 1714. This region comprised most of modern Belgium and Luxembourg, as well as parts of northern France and western Germany. The capital was Brussels.

The Imperial fiefs of the former Burgundian Netherlands had been inherited by the Austrian House of Habsburg from the extinct House of Valois-Burgundy upon the death of Mary of Burgundy in 1482. The Seventeen Provinces formed the core of the Habsburg Netherlands which passed to the Spanish Habsburgs upon the abdication of Emperor Charles V in 1556. When part of the Netherlands separated to form the autonomous Dutch Republic in 1581, the remainder of the area stayed under Spanish rule until the War of the Spanish Succession.

N

Nippit

Skegness reminds me of the HO ratings who found themselves there during WW2 when Butlins became HMS Royal Arthur. The Chief GI who welcomed each intake told them that this was the best bleedin' Stone Frigate in the bleedin' Andrew. You have a Sprung Floor- Harlequin Ballroom- A Twin-Projector Luxury Electric Cinema
A Parquet Floor Dining Hall with Chandeliers-----.

All of which you scrub out before 0800 daily!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember it well being an impressionable young man at the time. "Come on in" they cooed, The water's lovely and all we want is a bit of free trade" No mention back then of federalism and being ruled from Brussels. People like Tony Benn and Margaret Thatcher were telling us all it was a fiendish trap but would we listen? Would we hell!