EU Referendum / Brexit & Fallout

EU Referendum 2016. Do you want to stay in, or get out?

• Stay in the EU.

Votes: 48 23.8%
  • Get out of the EU.

Votes: 139 68.8%
  • Don't know

Votes: 15 7.4%

• Total voters
Theresa should remember the immortal words "Britons will never be slaves."
At the moment it would seem that we are, as Junker and his cronies are brokering the best deal for the EU to cover German and French losses when we finally leave.
Where's the British fighting spirit? It should be "Here's the deal take it or leave it."
When the Continentals look at the big picture and realise what they are likely to lose long term if THEY don't broker a good all round deal they won't be so bloody cocky. Mrs May should call their bluff and show some spirit as Maggie would have done.

guns1969

Lantern Swinger
More threats , this is starting to piss me off as I read it that they do not want our exit and will throw as many barriers in the way to make us change our minds. I say call their bluff and offer less money to leave , foxtrot oscar in other words.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41941414
I think that it has finally hit the few brain cells of certain EU ministers that we are getting out, and the reality of them having to put more of their own ickies into the pot is hard for them to accept, so they are trying to convince us that we really do need to stay, and be good little Europeans, and do as we are told.
I say 'Bollocks' - Feck 'em...

What has become clear is they have no intention of giving the UK a good trade deal but want to sting us for a huge donation for their funds before they tell us to FO. There is very little point in continuing talks only to be humiliated at some time in the not too distant future. The message is loud and clear to any of the other current EU states who might be considering going their own way that the same treatment awaits them.

What has become clear is they have no intention of giving the UK a good trade deal but want to sting us for a huge donation for their funds before they tell us to FO. There is very little point in continuing talks only to be humiliated at some time in the not too distant future. The message is loud and clear to any of the other current EU states who might be considering going their own way that the same treatment awaits them.

The EU mandarins are scared witless that other current member states will follow the Brexit lead, and derail the gravy train. Once the UK gets out - assuming that the Remoaners don't manage to reverse the democratic process - then it's only a matter of time before the whole EU house of cards comes tumbling down.

The EU mandarins are scared witless that other current member states will follow the Brexit lead, and derail the gravy train. Once the UK gets out - assuming that the Remoaners don't manage to reverse the democratic process - then it's only a matter of time before the whole EU house of cards comes tumbling down.
Which will be a good thing. The original '70s format of a trade partnership to benefit all members was a good vision. Then along came an ever growing band of power pissed beurocrats who ballsed it all up. To my mind the whole thing needs a massive overhaul but this will never happen because those in power in Brussels will lose their status.

Does "No break up of the Union" not include that? Note, Union being that of the United Kingdom not the European Union
Yes it does.
But my point is that there is no mention of how that would be acheived with regards to the Irish border.

Having sat on the fence for two and a half years, and weighing up the pros and cons, (not least of which is the increasing federalisation of the EU :mad:), I've now come down on the side of 'leave' but with this one condition:
There must be a clear plan for the Irish border which wouldn't lead to the break-up of the Union or worse, a breakdown of the Good Friday agreement and a return to 'the troubles'. ('cos, y'know... people could die).

Nicola Sturgeons approach, how dare people not vote the way her and the SNP say they should... IndyRef2 wouldn't go her way either, it would just waste £m's and give her more air time
A thought has just occurred to my tiny brain....
If the SNP got their way, and Scotland left the UK but remained in the EU - there would be another EU/UK boarder. On that basis, why has nobody asked Sturgeon what her solution is for this - presumably she has a plan? Or is she so on the offensive that nobody has asked her?

The so-called "backstop" to prevent the UK reinstating a hard border with the Republic of Ireland has had me puzzled from the moment it was first mentioned. To the best of my knowledge the UK government has never expressed a wish to have a hard border when we left the EU. It seems to me the whole thing has been whipped up as an obstacle just to please the Paddies who are heavily dependent on the UK both as a trading partner and a supplier of things they don't import themselves. There is also the undercurrent of trying to unite N.I. with the remainder of the Republic which would be easier to achieve if NI were treated differently from the rest of the UK. The DUP have spotted that so they will never vote for Mrs May's deal because it casts them adrift.

A thought has just occurred to my tiny brain....
If the SNP got their way, and Scotland left the UK but remained in the EU - there would be another EU/UK boarder. On that basis, why has nobody asked Sturgeon what her solution is for this - presumably she has a plan? Or is she so on the offensive that nobody has asked her?
No one ever challenges Sturgeon on how things would work in reality. Whether it be currency, border control with rUK, getting back into the EU, lender of last resort etc etc.

She gets an easy ride all of the time and free air time to spout the usual "Westminster bad, Holyrood good" mantra.

I think the border issue would be quite interesting. Using the EU's own take on borders with non-EU states, they would have to have a hard border between England and Scotland. Just as well that most Scots do not follow her way of thinking, just a shouty few.

From another site, interesting read, how much of it is the truth, who knows......

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ THIS REGARDLESS OF WHAT SIDE OF THE BREXIT FENCE YOU FIND YOURSELF BECAUSE I BELIEVE THAT EVERYBODY SHOULD KNOW WHATS NOT BEING GIVEN NEWS COVERAGE .....
Eddy Lonergan's own words ... not mine
"I wish the Brits would take the time to see whats going on here Roger. ... I'm a scouser living in Holland getting on 40 years now. .... It is just as bad, in some ways worse than in the UK. For example, Health Insurance is compulsory whether working or unemployed. My wife and I pay 250 euros per month and that is basic, no dentals, physios or extras. 2 major hospitals have shut down - there are no beds - the A&E is the same as the UK, families are asked to look after their parents because of shortages in Care.
The immigration problem is a laughing stock, food banks are noT coping, people in work are not making ends meet and are relying on food banks. .... Belgium, Germany and France have the same problems. Angela Merkel is stepping down as Prime Minister (Chancellor) but has forgot to tell everyone she has a secure high position in Brussels. .... Why would you want to be a member of a gang of pocket-filling thieves who do not care about their people? ... As for Junker ... don't get me started ....
The EU countries are crumbling and no f*cker gives a"dangle-doo-dandy", so GET OUT while you can and maybe others will follow suit". .... They are scaring and flexing their muscles and hoping that it will turn around, because the membership fee the UK puts in every year will have to be put up by the remaining countries. .... Holland will have to double their fee we've been told. ... What other countries can afford this?
Spain, Greece, Italy all bankrupt, so you see the EU does not want to lose the UK and will bully any way to try to win it over by threatening the Northern Ireland deal, the fishing deal, giving back Gibraltar and whatever else they can get their grubby hands on, so don't be fooled, it's not a bed of roses, things are bad here and like I said, in some matters its worse.
The riots in France are not just about fuel tax, its about living standards. .... Belgium and Holland have also taken up the baton with the Yellow Jacket Demonstrators because they're tired of it. .... Take the time to find out yourselves, then you will be glad of Brexit, and like I've said, with sense, holland will follow suit" ....