EU Referendum / Brexit & Fallout

EU Referendum 2016. Do you want to stay in, or get out?

• Stay in the EU.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • Get out of the EU.

Votes: 137 69.2%
  • Don't know

Votes: 15 7.6%

• Total voters
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39816044
-
European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker has told a conference in Italy on the EU that "English is losing importance in Europe".

Amid tensions with the UK over looming Brexit negotiations, he said he was delivering his speech in French.

LWGAF.
I put together a quite well crafted response to the above, however, after careful consideration and deliberation, decided on " What a prick"!

I put together a quite well crafted response to the above, however, after careful consideration and deliberation, decided on " What a prick"!
With his reputation for drinking, financial (ahem!) acumen, kissing leaders and slapping people around the head, Monsieur J could be an interesting guest at dinner.
Come to think of it, an invitation to a Trafalgar Night might be fun, especially if he was invited to propose the toast to the Immortal Memory.....

And as we are the only country to speak English ....Yanks , Americanish , Oz , Australinish , New Zealand , Kiwi ish .
France...erm , the rest of EU , erm , we have a language , English is good .:)

They can jabber in what ever language they like. If the intention is to make the UK feel like they've done the right thing by voting to foxtrot oscar I think he's on to a winner.

guns1969

Lantern Swinger
And as we are the only country to speak English ....Yanks , Americanish , Oz , Australinish , New Zealand , Kiwi ish .
France...erm , the rest of EU , erm , we have a language , English is good .:)
I have travelled a lot in Europe, Poland, Czech Rep, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, et al, and have had no problems at all with language barriers, as almost everybody I met, had the ability to converse in English, or had somebody nearby who spoke ENGLISH. I have a smattering of Czech, which I had little use for whilst there, as a lot of people in the former Eastern Bloc nearly all listen to BBC Radio, and have learnt English that way.
The French and their language , can all piss off !

Having worked in many countries worldwide it is a conundrum as to which language an native English speaker should learn. When I worked with Aerospacial guys they said that I should learn French when I worked with Hauni guys they said German. When I worked in Thailand and China I learned enough of the languages to be able to eat and drink (never enough to hold an intelligent conversation). However what I found worldwide was that most people had been taught English at school and the majority were only too pleased to ba able to practice and hone their skills with a Native English speaker.
Did have some drawbacks though when working with a broad Geordie who taught them that "Gannin to the Nettie" , Havin a Tab" and other choice phrases were correct English:)

Them froggies cosying up to the hun, cause they be scared shitless of what happened last time.But seriously all our P.M.s have asked for reform of this great big gravy train,I voted for us to join but it never turned out to become what was envisaged.

The way the big wigs in the EU are talking you would think that if we leave without paying a penny (as is our right under EU rules) everything would be fine for them when the opposite is true. If we hold our nerve they might suddenly come up with aa package which would allow us to remain a paying member but on much better terms than at present. It is true that for the UK trading on WTO terms like the rest of the world would not be the ideal result but the current EU demands of "stump up what we say you owe before we decide what terms you you trade with" is far from ideal too. They are currently saying it might take three years to sort out a trade deal if there is one to be had in which case British Industry will be left in limbo a situation which they definitely don't want.
If the EU are trying to make leaving with no deal a good option they are on top of their game otherwise they may want to look at their strategy.

The way the big wigs in the EU are talking you would think that if we leave without paying a penny (as is our right under EU rules) everything would be fine for them when the opposite is true. If we hold our nerve they might suddenly come up with aa package which would allow us to remain a paying member but on much better terms than at present. It is true that for the UK trading on WTO terms like the rest of the world would not be the ideal result but the current EU demands of "stump up what we say you owe before we decide what terms you you trade with" is far from ideal too. They are currently saying it might take three years to sort out a trade deal if there is one to be had in which case British Industry will be left in limbo a situation which they definitely don't want.
If the EU are trying to make leaving with no deal a good option they are on top of their game otherwise they may want to look at their strategy.

I am not sure where you have read this but I seriously doubt that there is anything within the EU rules that would allow us to leave without paying a penny. Boris suggested it was so but he is not a reliable source. My understanding is that the negotiations are not about what we will pay but about what we owe and we have always said that we will pay what we owe.

Do I smell panic from the corridors of the EU ? , losing a major contributor to the EU gravy train has them running about like headless chickens , seems to me that however much we pay for this divorce it will still leave a huge hole in the EU coffers , France and Germany probably having to stump up most of the shortfall.
-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41733429
Then you have the worriers from all UK parties, that open trade should be sort at all cost? How many of these MP’s have finances tied to the EU?

Would they buy a house at top value if it was in need of repair, would they buy a second hand car at top book price if full of dints and scratches, I think not, well looking at some MP’s possible, then put restoration on their expenses?

I see the EU panic is because they thought the UK would have rolled over by now, and given in? their biggest nightmare has to be UK leave with no deal, we then do not have to pay devoice settlement (possibly) and would be open to strike trade deals across the 27 remaining states, can you see Germanys car industry not wanting to sell its 500K + cars to the UK annually or France and Spain their wine and food products, these type of deals with a no-deal Brexit would openly undermine the EU block

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think that the main worry for the EU generally is that others will follow, certainly it seems that the Dutch are watching with interest, Greece for different reasons may also want out. Those stood in the wings waiting fro membership are all Countries with very poor GDP's so will, if allowed in not be contributing much to the funds, certainly no where near what the UK is putting in at the moment.