EU Referendum / Brexit & Fallout

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Scorpio1986, Feb 20, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?
  1. Stay in the EU.

42 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. Get out of the EU.

119 vote(s)
    68.8%
  3. Don't know

12 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. So, after much debate a date has been set. Im just wondering what are the opinions of you all?

Do you believe all of the scare mongering from the No camp or are you being pushed towards the Yes camp.

Myself im pushed more towards the Yes and as much as some people may disagree, my main reason is the migrant crisis that we currently see. The fact that migrants can get housing almost immediatley and before those that have served within either service. I know a few who have had problems and the councils refuse their application. There are other reasons but i could be here all day.

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm thinking LEAVE as it stands, I'm fed up with the vast sums of money being squandered by the EU set up. I also hope that if we leave we will get our own Rights Bill which places the main emphasis on the victim.

Can we add a Poll to the thread?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  3. I am old enough to remember when and why we joined.
    We joined something called EFTA (Europeon Free Trade Association) in 1960 which worked fairly well. However in 1972
    Denmark and the United Kingdom leave EFTA to join the European Economic Community (EEC). The remaining EFTA States sign bilateral free trade agreements (FTAs) with the EEC during the 1970s.

We should never have left ETFA to join the EEC (Europeon Economic Community. don't think we gained much but certainly ended up loosing a lot.

ETFA is still operational though with only four embers, if we rejoin I am sure that other nations which have left would also consider rejoining.

I will be voting to leave along with I hope enough others to get out of the robbing organisation that currently is holding us to ransome

• Like Like x 2
  4. Just read a fantastic statement about Camerons deal
    "He went for half a loaf, begged for a crust and returned with crumbs"
    Brilliant wish I had made it

• Like Like x 5
  5. Merkel let in over a million last year into Germany. Very soon they will get travel docs / passports entitling them to travel as Europeans throughout the EU. If we stay in, they will come over here, along with the muslim gangs from the other countries who have recently caused mayhem in European cities with their attacks on women.
    We already have over 2 million EU citizens employed here and the UK is creaking at the seams. We are full and we can't take anymore. Also, what about the £55M per day that it costs the UK to be in the EU?
    Time to pull up the drawbridge, kick out all those johnny foreigners and revert to fortress UK!

• Like Like x 5
  6. I also would like to see a poll to this thread.
    Am definitely voting OUT !

7. Not a dig at you at all but a very interesting choice of words. As with the Scottish Referendum, it's strange how the opposite side (whatever position you support) is scaremongering, using scare tactics, naysayers, etc. Why is it never described merely as their view, position, argument, etc?

By the way is the Yes camp the "Yes, we want to stay" or "Yes, we want to leave" camp?

IMD

• Like Like x 2
  8. Agree with your point. My poor choice in words.

Yes to leave.

9. Its up.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cameron has returned clutching his hard one concessions and tells us we're good to go on the way we are. There is not one of those concessions which give the UK any more freedoms than what we would have if we left. according to the BBC Cameron is likely to pull a rabbit out of the hat about the European Laws trumping our own but there are no details yet.
    As it now stands I'm for leaving the EU

• Like Like x 1
  11. Generally I don't pick up people's grammar - glass houses, etc. but in this case... :-D I think you meant to say won.

12. And btw I want out of this madness. If anyone can actually post a benefit of continued membership please enlighten me.

13. I will listen to all the arguments, but am pessimistic of getting clear answers to many questions. As with most voting scenarios, the issues are not simple. But it would be nice to get official answers to questions such as:

1. How much does it really cost the UK to be a member of the EU?
    2. What actual benefits does membership bring?
    3. What advantages would BREXIT bring?
    4. What are the comparable figures for the UK's exports/imports ( including "invisible" ones) both worldwide and with reference to EU countries?
    5. Can anyone provide a definitive answer to the allegation that the EU's accounts have not been signed off by auditors for umpteen years?

I expect to be sick to death with the whole issue by June 23!

• Like Like x 4
  14. I would like to hear an INDEPENDENT expert view on the Pros and Cons for both leaving and staying. No spin No bullshit just the truth in easy to understand simple English.
    Will we get this?
    Will we feck

• Like Like x 1
  15. rebbonk

rebbonk Badgeman Book Reviewer

I'm in the OUT camp

16. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

17. Maybe not strictly relevant to the EU debate, but it certainly touches upon security issues - sent to me by an oppo in Brisbane:-

NATIONAL LEVELS OF ALERT - THREATS TO EUROPE
    from JOHN CLEESE
    The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent events in Syria and have therefore raised their security level from"Miffed" to "Peeved."Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross." The English have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out.
    Terrorists have been re-categorized from"Tiresome" to "A Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from "Pissed Off" to "Let's get the Bastards." They don't have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide."The only two higher levels in France are "Collaborate" and "Surrender." The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France 's white flag factory, effectively paralysing the country's military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from "Shout Loudly and Excitedly" to "Elaborate Military Posturing."Two more levels remain: "Ineffective Combat Operations" and "Change Sides."

The Germans have increased their alert state from "Disdainful Arrogance" to "Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs." They also have two higher levels: "Invade a Neighbour" and "Lose."

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels .
    The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Australia , meanwhile, has raised its security level from "No worries" to "She'll be right, Mate." Two more escalation levels remain: "Crikey! I think we'll need to cancel the barbie this weekend!" and "The barbie is cancelled." So far no situation has ever warranted use of the last final escalation level.
    Regards,
    John Cleese,
    British writer, actor and tall person
    And as a final thought - Greece is collapsing, the Iranians are getting aggressive, and Rome is in disarray. Welcome back to 430 BC.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm apolitical and don't really have a formed opinion at the moment, but from my day job being in the EU gives us access to around €450Bn of investment in R&D for civ/mil capabilities, which is being used to generate jobs and sales in the aerospace and space industry, supporting UK Gov strategies to build these industries in the UK and it also open up access to consortia and allows UK SMEs to sell easily into the EU markets.

If we leave the EU a lot of the SMEs will be competing with EU SMEs and I can see where that will end in the short term, and I suspect that will be a pattern for a lot of UK industry that currently exports into the EU.

So just from an industrial perspective I have some concerns.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Thanks, Wave Dodger. Could you expand whether the 450Bn Euros is actually invested, or simply accessible because the UK is a EU member?

20. May be a stupid question and if it's already been answered I apologies, how would you vote if you were at HMS Raleigh doing your basic training?