EU, NO-DEAL BREXIT BACKSTOP...and all that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumo

War Hero
@Levers_Aligned a remain festival for you, right up your street take all the workers money and give it away

Drumroll please! Our friends at The World Transformed have announced the line-up for this year’s festival in Brighton, and it looks fantastic.

There’ll be workshops, discussions, activities and games on everything from drug reform to data colonialism, from climate justice to conspiracy theories, with speakers including John McDonnell, Diane Abbott MP, Yanis Varoufakis, Grace Blakeley, Francesca Martinez and Drillminister. Click here to check out the full programme!

Join John McDonnell, Yanis Varoufakis and Drillminister at TWT this year

Get your tickets now

Over the four days attendees will be building a 'Manifesto for the Movement' - a radical document that will be presented to MPs at the end of the festival. We’ll hear from Abolish Eton about their viral campaign to end private education, radical US union National Nurses Unite on how to resist the privatisation of the NHS, and Labour for a Green New Deal on how we can transform our economy so it works for people and planet.

Fancy a free ticket? TWT are looking for photographers, camera operators and video editors to join their team and capture the festival. If that’s you, click below!

See you in Brighton! @Levers_Aligned

Sumo

War Hero
Levers, are you retired? Unemployed?

If not, why are you writing all your frothing drivel when you should be gainfully employed........?
he is a WO in RN, lots of time on his hands, building his empire, he did retire but went back, civvy street to tough, he was expected to work.

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
@Levers_Aligned a remain festival for you, right up your street take all the workers money and give it away

Drumroll please! Our friends at The World Transformed have announced the line-up for this year’s festival in Brighton, and it looks fantastic.

There’ll be workshops, discussions, activities and games on everything from drug reform to data colonialism, from climate justice to conspiracy theories, with speakers including John McDonnell, Diane Abbott MP, Yanis Varoufakis, Grace Blakeley, Francesca Martinez and Drillminister. Click here to check out the full programme!

Join John McDonnell, Yanis Varoufakis and Drillminister at TWT this year

Get your tickets now

Over the four days attendees will be building a 'Manifesto for the Movement' - a radical document that will be presented to MPs at the end of the festival. We’ll hear from Abolish Eton about their viral campaign to end private education, radical US union National Nurses Unite on how to resist the privatisation of the NHS, and Labour for a Green New Deal on how we can transform our economy so it works for people and planet.

Fancy a free ticket? TWT are looking for photographers, camera operators and video editors to join their team and capture the festival. If that’s you, click below!

See you in Brighton! @Levers_Aligned
What, in your cretinous, small mind makes you actually think I am in any way aligned to left wing policies? I suppose that because I take you to task regularly on here and expose you as an uneducated, ignorant bigot, it then falls smartly for you to search out summat or other to cover your own arse and thereby make allusion that I like the Labour Party or shit like this. It again is pretty typical of the likes of you. Tell you what. There's plenty of right wing, pro-Nazi rallies in and around Britain and Europe. Who not take your subnormal understanding to one of those and chant along with the rest of the baboons and chimps whilst failing badly to recognise what an utter bell-end you look?

levers

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
Levers, are you retired? Unemployed?

If not, why are you writing all your frothing drivel when you should be gainfully employed........?
Erm, summer leave.

Remember? Also, as a Warrant Officer, I do what the **** I want, like destroy bigotry whilst being a Warrant Officer. It comes with the badges.

levers

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
he is a WO in RN, lots of time on his hands, building his empire, he did retire but went back, civvy street to tough, he was expected to work.
Yeah. still in, earning a crust and doing what the **** I want. It's great.

Civvy street was full of wa-nk-ers. It's where you are at the moment, isn't it?

levers

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
Yeah. I have seen that. All valid.

Now tell me (once again) how much it is costing YOU individually (note: he can't)

Any old number, in pounds and pence, please. Like I say, just make it up. Is it £30k per year (in which case, great idea. Let's leave!) Is it 5p per year (but you still get cheap goods because much of what comes across does so tariff free and anything we export is cheap too for us and them as we don't have to pay anything)

Any old number Sumo. you MUST know, because you didn't vote leave because of dirty foreigners stealing our jobs and raping our kids, etc.

levers

Sumo

War Hero
What, in your cretinous, small mind makes you actually think I am in any way aligned to left wing policies? I suppose that because I take you to task regularly on here and expose you as an uneducated, ignorant bigot, it then falls smartly for you to search out summat or other to cover your own arse and thereby make allusion that I like the Labour Party or shit like this. It again is pretty typical of the likes of you. Tell you what. There's plenty of right wing, pro-Nazi rallies in and around Britain and Europe. Who not take your subnormal understanding to one of those and chant along with the rest of the baboons and chimps whilst failing badly to recognise what an utter bell-end you look?

levers
Ho dear anther outburst of profanities, it would appear when you have nothing to say, or debate fails you, you result to insults and general gobbing of.
shows a very low level of intellect or lack of. but that would be an insult to some autistic as they are highly intelligent, hence you must be thick and promoted above you level of incompetence after lots of Brown Nosing, does your world still smell of shit?

Sumo

War Hero
Yeah. I have seen that. All valid.

Now tell me (once again) how much it is costing YOU individually (note: he can't)

Any old number, in pounds and pence, please. Like I say, just make it up. Is it £30k per year (in which case, great idea. Let's leave!) Is it 5p per year (but you still get cheap goods because much of what comes across does so tariff free and anything we export is cheap too for us and them as we don't have to pay anything)

Any old number Sumo. you MUST know, because you didn't vote leave because of dirty foreigners stealing our jobs and raping our kids, etc.

levers
approx. £13 B /all taxes collect per person & business = approx. cost per person. no teenager to ask to do the maths?

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
approx. £13 B /all taxes collect per person & business = approx. cost per person. no teenager to ask to do the maths?
No. Once again. YOUR cost. Not some figure you have arbitrarily plucked out of the air and divvied it up by the population. Everyone has their own outlay, taxation, contributions, some are employed, some not some still in education. So, for the butterfly-minded (like you) you can't simply grab a figure (like £13bn) and say 'that' divided by 68 million. It doesn't work like that in the grown up world.

What I would have thought, being as you're dead sensible, straight-minded and indeed 'clever', is that you'd have said "d'you know, Mabel, that there European Union is really costing me £x.xx (insert figure here) every year because of their dead restrictive policies (insert which) and you and I are poorer to the cost of £x.xx (insert figure here). And d'you know, I've done some maths and it turns out we both would be better off by £x.xx (insert figure here), even after tariffs and trade restrictions have effectively bummed us both endwards. And I've done this on an individual basis taking into account our own incomings and outgoings and checked it a few times too with my abacus (because modern technology frightens the **** out of me). So it's a 'out' for me" rather than "I hate foreigners".

Surely you did that. You didn't just base your choice on xenophobia ... did you?

levers

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
Ho dear anther outburst of profanities, it would appear when you have nothing to say, or debate fails you, you result to insults and general gobbing of.
Two 'f's in 'off'. As in ****-off.

shows a very low level of intellect or lack of. but that would be an insult to some autistic as they are highly intelligent, hence you must be thick and promoted above you level of incompetence after lots of Brown Nosing, does your world still smell of shit?
What would you know about autism? So it's something to use as a comedy prop, is it?

You're not very good at all at this shit slinging, are you Sumo? It's getting a bit pathetic.

Go out for a walk or summat. Take the dog. Pick up it's shit and do some reflection.

levers

Exprop

Lantern Swinger
That's the budget contribution quoted on the side of the bus.

There has since been quite a lot of publicity given to the fact that it was wrong since it didn't take into account the rebate which reduces it to less than £9billion - even if it were possible simply to trouser the saving.

The UK government has already promised farmers that it will maintain the subsidy payments they have previously been receiving from the EU and also promised compensation to a number of manufacturing companies (ironically including Nissan) that they will compensate them for the additional tariffs they will pay on imported components. We will also lose the EU funding for supporting underdeveloped regions (like Cornwall) and the money spent to improve roads in places like Northern Ireland. There are a myriad of other ways in which the UK gets value back in return for its budget contribution but those will suffice for illustration.

Once those promises and lost benefits are taken into account there is likely to be very little left of the savings you are hoping to get - and you haven't yet factored in the higher costs everyone in the UK will face as a result of a reduced exchange rate. We simply can't avoid those increased costs because of our reliance on imported food.

I calculate that Brexit has already cost UK consumers approximately £6billion a year (based on 2016 figures) in increased cost of food imports as a result of the currency depreciation which followed the referendum result.

Last edited:

Levers_Aligned

War Hero

There has since been quite a lot of publicity given to the fact that it was wrong since it didn't take into account the rebate which reduces it to less than £9billion - even if it were possible simply to trouser the saving.

The UK government has already promised farmers that it will maintain the subsidy payments they have previously been receiving from the EU and also promised compensation to a number of manufacturing companies (ironically including Nissan) that they will compensate them for the additional tariffs they will pay on imported components. We will also lose the EU funding for supporting underdeveloped regions (like Cornwall) and the money spent to improve roads in places like Northern Ireland. There are a myriad of other ways in which the UK gets value back in return for its budget contribution but those will suffice for illustration.

Once those promises and lost benefits are taken into account there is likely to be very little left of the savings you are hoping to get - and you haven't yet factored in the higher costs everyone in the UK will face as a result of a reduced exchange rate. We simply can't avoid those increased costs because of our reliance on imported food.
Mate. Stop. Just stop now.

There is little point in explaining the intricacies and contributing factors to a donkey sat in a field surrounded by shit. So it is with Sumo. He is nailed-into his bigoted, self-justifying world for which he has nil way of accounting for his actions. People who counter it are simply pesky nuisances and in truth, THE truth doesn't matter much, as doesn't explaining why you do what you do. I had a very good conversation over a few beers last week on holiday with my mate who is a rank Brexiteer, and **** me did he have some decent figures, reasons and rationale to put my way. Certainly made me think, and although I disagreed on many things, some of it held water and I could clearly see his point. And he a businessman with a European client base. And at no time did he ever mention immigration.

When it comes to simpler organisms though, it doesn't take much to deconstruct their argument and find out it's all about bullshit and bigotry.

levers

Polto

War Hero
On BBC Radio 4 yesterday, I believe it was 'You and Yours', I listened to some interesting conversations/listener input about businesses preparing for Brexit. What was apparent was how some businesses seemed to getting on with making whatever preparations they could whilst others appeared to be just throwing their arms up in despair and being unable to get to grips with the situation and try to find answers to their problems. One 'listener' stated that this was one of those times where companies survival chances would be increased if they are 'agile' about doing their research. People's experiences seem to differ greatly but amongst the negativity there was quite a lot of positivity about the situation. Some companies claimed that they started preparing the day after the result of the referendum.

Sumo

War Hero

I calculate that Brexit has already cost UK consumers approximately £6billion a year (based on 2016 figures) in increased cost of food imports as a result of the currency depreciation which followed the referendum result.
@Exprop good to see an input that doesn't include teddies out the pram.
Have you calcs taken into account the 9.7% increase in exports?
there are always pros and cons of a strong or weak GBP
1566390467013.png

Forgot Boris quote included total amount, after rebate, approx £250m a week

Last edited:

slim

War Hero
And your proof on that accusation is, where, exactly?

Clearly. An unapologetic racist. I admire your fortitude and honestly. I don't admire your ignorance and bigotry, mind.

Well, you do seem to be wasting valuable time justifying your own ignorance to me when challenged. Especially when I 'tall' you why you voted to leave (because you show precious little rationale than veiled bigotry and xenophobia)

'Most of them'? Which ones aren't, then? The ones about forriners and unelected grandees and laws and money and ... ooh, most everything else?

Hang on. I thought you didn't value my opinion? You can't have it both ways here. Oh, hang on. You're a Brexiter. It's your RIGHT to have it both ways, innit?

Yep. Just don't let's talk about evidence to support those thoughts though. Because then you get REALLY cross, don't you?

So the theme is 'shut up'? And the likes of you whine about our lack of democracy.

If you want to label yourself that way, be my guest. I'd say you're an ignorant, uneducated bigot, myself.

levers
Once again the big man with little experience of life in the real world spouts garbage from the confines of the small world of the RN.
Reverting to insults and and acusations of racism when he does not get his own way thank feck that I am no longer serving with a man (I use that term loosely) with such an enormous chip on his shoulder.
I can see why he could not face the reality of civie street and ran back to service life where he knows he will be well looked after.

Exprop

Lantern Swinger
@Exprop good to see an input that doesn't include teddies out the pram.
Have you calcs taken into account the 9.%7 increase in exports?
there are always pros and cons of a strong or weak GBP
View attachment 42239

If you do the maths you will see that a 9.7% increase in exports measured in pounds which have devalued by nearly 20% against the dollar and the euro is not a great result.

Your chart can be simplified to saying that devaluation should increase exports. That's what they teach you in A-level economics. Unfortunately it is a gross oversimplification which is often not true.

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
Once again the big man with little experience of life in the real world spouts garbage from the confines of the small world of the RN.
Reverting to insults and and acusations of racism when he does not get his own way thank feck that I am no longer serving with a man (I use that term loosely) with such an enormous chip on his shoulder.
I can see why he could not face the reality of civie street and ran back to service life where he knows he will be well looked after.
Ignorant, uneducated bigot. It's not an insult. It's something you actually are, Slim. It's particularly significant you have to resort to some or other allusion regarding my job just to make your point about 'Brexit'. Of which there is no point, by the way. You failed to address any of my comments. Well done.

levers

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
If you do the maths you will see that a 9.7% increase in exports measured in pounds which have devalued by nearly 20% against the dollar and the euro is not a great result.

Your chart can be simplified to saying that devaluation should increase exports. That's what they teach you in A-level economics. Unfortunately it is a gross oversimplification which is often not true.
Ironic he has mined that chart from an A Level Economics site. I mean, it kinda completely closes the case against leaving with its 'Economic growth might increase' and 'Current account deficit should improve'. Given that kind of thinking, it's no wonder he can't tell us what economic calculations he's done to justify exiting the EU.

levers

Status
Not open for further replies.