EU NAVFOR Op Atalanta

#1
Are we(R.N.R) involved with this Op or is our Anti-piracy covered by Op Herrick deployments?

And if so is the medal sanctioned for wear like the Op Althea one?

Just out of curiosity, if anyone knows :?:

HH
 

icantfly

Lantern Swinger
#3
hardhat said:
Are we(R.N.R) involved with this Op or is our Anti-piracy covered by Op Herrick deployments?

And if so is the medal sanctioned for wear like the Op Althea one?

Just out of curiosity, if anyone knows :?:

HH
Depends what you're doing, and where you're doing it. Also what branch you're in.
 
#4
icantfly said:
hardhat said:
Are we(R.N.R) involved with this Op or is our Anti-piracy covered by Op Herrick deployments?

And if so is the medal sanctioned for wear like the Op Althea one?

Just out of curiosity, if anyone knows :?:

HH
Depends what you're doing, and where you're doing it. Also what branch you're in.
C.I.S, on an R.F.A, most likely off the horn of Africa.

I'm just interested that if I go, which Op is it covered by.
 

icantfly

Lantern Swinger
#7
hardhat said:
alfred_the_great said:
Counter Piracy is not HERRICK, and you won't get a medal. The only medals available are:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceFor/Veterans/Medals/CurrentMedals.htm

Iraq Medal and OSM Afghanistan.

Hope this helps.
I thought Op Telic was finished????
The final closure date for the medals hasn't been announced yet as there are still training teams and assets in the area, including the RNR Force Protection teams on the RFAs..

If you want a shiny coin, head over to the NAG and get yourself onto one of the RFAs there. Just don't brag about how you got it, like so many others who never even set foot on Iraqi soil.
 
#8
ICF,

If they would deploy me as an AB2 I'd volunteer for the NAG. I am asking the question because to be honest, if I have to leave the wife and kids at home for half a year or more I'd want to at least have something to show for it, albeit not in a walty "heres how I brought about the downfall of the Ba'athist regime". And the reality as you know is that deployment will come sooner rather thatn later.
 

A.A.T.

Midshipman
#9
you can volunteer for the "nag" till your ccok turns blue- doesn't mean you will go there. set your sights on the MISH in the "dubs", you may get there. no gong though. :wink:
 

icantfly

Lantern Swinger
#10
hardhat said:
ICF,

If they would deploy me as an AB2 I'd volunteer for the NAG. I am asking the question because to be honest, if I have to leave the wife and kids at home for half a year or more I'd want to at least have something to show for it, albeit not in a walty "heres how I brought about the downfall of the Ba'athist regime". And the reality as you know is that deployment will come sooner rather thatn later.
Nobody will deploy you as an AB2, as you're not on trained strength. As far as wanting something to show for being away from your family for so long - take a camera with you.
 

SO2Seaman

Lantern Swinger
#12
The book states that AB2s can not be Deployed, however, in certain circumstances, they can be mobilised, and then the PJTs can bring them up to trained strength. Not the most preferred Cours Of Action, but one that is used in certain circumstances.
Hope that helps
SO2Seaman
 
G

guestm

Guest
#13
hardhat said:
ICF,

If they would deploy me as an AB2 I'd volunteer for the NAG. I am asking the question because to be honest, if I have to leave the wife and kids at home for half a year or more I'd want to at least have something to show for it, albeit not in a walty "heres how I brought about the downfall of the Ba'athist regime". And the reality as you know is that deployment will come sooner rather thatn later.
There is so much wrong with that sentence it's unreal. Leave. Asap.
 

icantfly

Lantern Swinger
#14
Montigny-La-Palisse said:
hardhat said:
ICF,

If they would deploy me as an AB2 I'd volunteer for the NAG. I am asking the question because to be honest, if I have to leave the wife and kids at home for half a year or more I'd want to at least have something to show for it, albeit not in a walty "heres how I brought about the downfall of the Ba'athist regime". And the reality as you know is that deployment will come sooner rather thatn later.
There is so much wrong with that sentence it's unreal. Leave. Asap.
Surely after being away from the wife and kids for a year, you'd want a medal for going back??
 
#15
From someone who has been there....

Op Atalanta is a stand-alone anti-piracy op; and is nothing to do with Herrick or Telic.

There is a medal, issued by the EU (unsurprisingly). If you Google for "Operation Atalanta Medal" you might see this (un)fine example of the minting industry's produce.

The RNR are involved, afloat and ashore.

ENDS
 
#17
Branch-Hopper said:
There is a medal, issued by the EU (unsurprisingly). If you Google for "Operation Atalanta Medal" you might see this (un)fine example of the minting industry's produce.

ENDS
And not authorised for wear, in uniform, whilst you are in the RN/RNR. Do so and you risk being charged. What you do after you leave is up to you....
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 5

Similar threads