ETME SM Promotion opportunities?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Mike777, May 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know what the promotion is like for a 17/18 year old with (hopefully) 10+ GCSEs?
    Thanks.

2. The same as everyone else.

3. Which is...? I mean, like how soon would it be?

4. The GCSEs are irrelevant. Can you complete the training, qualify, do the job and then convince your reporting officers that you're good enough to move on to the next level. How long does it take, how long is a piece of string?

5. Yeah, I thought that it might be like that, promotion on merit and whatnot, but in the careers book the AFCO gave me it says "fast-track promotion opportunities may be available if you have GCSEs/whatever the Scottish one's called

6. 'opportunities may' are key here...an opportunity isn't a definite, and is certainly less so when it is a may...if you see what I mean.

7. Yeah, I do, thanks everyone

8. What Polto said.

Also AFAIK only certain branches are open for a bit of fast track promotion and none are part of the submarine service.

9. ....................................Rem3pt - ever heard of Fast Track ET(MESM) then??

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  10. To be a fast track ETME(SM) you get selected during phase 2 for good exam results, leadership skills and hard work.
    You sit a fast track board at Sultan and if you pass, you do SMQ, then join your boat and you have around 12 months to qualify as a submariner and complete the essential bits of your taskbook and if your MEO thinks you are good enough you will be sent on the next available LET course

11. Thanks, but what's LET?

12. Leading Engineering Technician

13. thanks damn you character count

14. Heh, my bad. I stand corrected.