ETME(SF) Selection Interview pointers

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by IlikeB33r, Aug 20, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,

I've been learning about the role I have signed up for, ET(MESM). And have been hammering the Search function, but as my interview is tomorrow I would like to get some final pointers.

I am pretty positive on what to describe for my initial training:

Which will consist of 10 weeks at HMS Raleigh in Plymouth which I'll learn, team-working skills, discipline, weapon-handling skills, organisation skills and firefighting.

After that I'll move to HMS Sultan in Gosport for 4 months classroom training where it will consist of learning the trade I intend to move into. It'll consist of learning how war ships work, how to repair components and even make them. After this I shall then move to my on the job training working under people who have done this job for a good duration and are experienced.

The job itself can involve anything raging from diesel engines, gas turbines, electrical problems.

If anyone else has any pointers on what else I could possibly describe on ET(MESM) also I am finding difficulties coming up with with good enough answers for my competency based questions (Makes you realize how much of a boring bastard you are) if anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Might help to spell Raleigh correctly
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Duly noted.

I can say it correctly... I promise.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Just a little tip:

I rather think you may mean ET(MESM)

As acronyms go in the Armed Forces, SF usually means Special Forces (ie: "them").

If you are joining the submarine service, scratch "gas turbines" off your list, insert Nuclear Propulsion (ie Steam).
  5. Sorry, I meant surface fleet. So I presume gas turbines would still be a factor for myself?

6. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, surface fleet includes gas turbine propulsion, electrical propulsion, diesel propulsion and generators, fridges, air conditioning, osmosis plants, electrical power and distribution systems, together with fluid systems including domestic fresh water, saltwater firemain, fuel, pneumatics, high pressure air & hydraulics, fixed gas firefighting systems and ship's hull structure and fittings, etc.

Surface Fleet is usually referred to as General Service (GS).
    • Like Like x 1
  7. That's great! Cheers for that Ninja, gives me more to look into. As for competency do you have any tips?

8. Ninja_Stoker

Just read the interview letter, it identifies and describes the competencies you need to provide evidence of each competency. Obviously, it depends on the person and their life experience to date.

Good luck.
  9. You won't be raging from them, you'll be raging at them :mad:

Yeah, I know it's a typo but it's a pretty accurate job description :D

Good luck anyway.
  10. I didn't know there was engineers in the STC. Woops I've said too much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. Thanks for your help Ninja!

Haha, probably best not mentioning that in my interview!

• Like Like x 1
  12. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Not for discussion on public forums!
  13. Fixed that for you NS, no charge ;)

I bet you've been waiting for someone to do that haven't you :)
  14. What do you think "Black cell" consists of....? Oh crap, they heard meeeeeeeeee......... :eek:
  15. Be the ball.
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Loose-lips sink, erm dodgy bowels. Or something.

Thread locked anyway.

Behave, some of yous.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.