ETME / Civvy Training

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by scoobywrx, Jan 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First of all I'm in Civvy street not forces so bear with me.
    My son is ETME on his first draught.Iv'e realised recently that as an ETME it could take 6 or 7 years to only get to NVQ2 is that correct ?
    In civvy street (we have apprentices at work) NVQ3 is reached in 3 to 4 years. Our minimum standard for Mechanical Techs,Mech Fitters,Multi Skilled Techs or whatever title they might have is NVQ3 I believe this is the norm in most civvy jobs of the same trade. Civvy apprentices in their first year are trained in lathe,milling,welding and such like then go on to more advanced stuff quickly.
    Seems to me that if it takes so long to reach even an NVQ2 in the RN its' pretty worthless and do prospective ETME's know of this when they sign up at the recruitment office.

2. I can see what you mean, what you need is a newly passed out ETME to ask, where of where can you find one of those........
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

NVQ2, from what I recall, is achieved in 16 weeks branch training at HMS Sultan on completion of the SITP, after the ten weeks Initial Naval Training at HMS Raleigh. On my last ship, the ET(ME)'s had about 18 months to complete their task books, but every single one achieved it in 6 months. Happy to be corrected if things have changed as I haven't got my reference sources at home (funnily enough).

It may well be the case that individuals do not choose to further their academic qualifications by taking career courses for several years as they are content to enjoy their seagoing job (loaf, basically), but NVQ3 can be achieved in the same comparable timescale as civilian apprentices if the individual wishes and employment is guaranteed for 18 years or up until age 40, whichever's longer - unlike most civilian occupations. ET(ME)'s gain National Vocational Qualifications as they progress through each stage of their early career to Leading Hand (achievable in around 4 years for "high-flyers" with a wage of between £26,500 to £32,200 p.a.), at the same time traveling around the world and all have the opportunity to gain a Foundation Degree at around the 7 to 8 year point, which they can top-up" to a BSc (Hons) degree through the Enhanced Learning Credit scheme, if they wish - whilst in full time employment, earning a wage, without tuition fees, etc. As well as helping the individual to develop their Royal Navy career with leadership and management training, which is recognised by IMarEST and IMechE so that it can streamline the route to registering as an EngTech and IEng, should the individual so wish.

In short, the qualifications and life experience on offer has the potential to 'kick arse' in comparison to the bulk of comparable civilian engineering jobs available to 16 year-olds, for those prepared to "extract a digit". That said, as with the civilian workplace there's always those that content themselves with an 18 year career and leave with the same qualifications they earned in the first 6 months - then blame everyone else.

But then, I would say that as a recruiter, s'pose.:wink:
  4. Thanks for the info,still not sure on the length of time yet.My son hopes to further himself quickly but going off the info he has been given by one of his superiors it doesn't happen as quick any more.That's a shame as he passed out of Sultan with the Captians Prize for best overall results as well so he is keen to advance.If it turns out that it could take a long time to achieve NVQ 2 it is quite sad,this along with the cost cutting ships aren't at sea as much these days so seeing the world isn't what it used to be.Apparently a lot of ETME's are putting in their notice.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

This echoes almost exactly my thoughts when I joined 32 years ago:

"I want to advance myself as fast as possible, but the ship's programme hinders me" Where there's a will there's a way.

"The Navy isn't what it used to be, no travel, no fun" Same, same

"Everyone is putting their notice in" - funny old thing, there are record numbers of people trying to rejoin at present as the grass isn't quite s green on the outside as the inside.

I'm not making light of the issues, but the first sea draft is always a bit of a roller-coaster of emotions as reality hits home and everything is at first rather alien and not at all like the individual expects. Once they adjust, get the hang of the job, keeping watches, boredom, routine, menial tasks (cleaning, rounds), separation, no mobile phone signal at sea (gasp) and the trips start to happen, things start to brighten-up for most.
  6. Point taken,time will tell.Just at my place of work apprentices upon reaching NVQ 3 in 3 to 4 years are on £39,000 per annum but that is working a 4 shift continental pattern. At 20 years old it's a good wage.Then again who wants to work in a factory environment,I'm looking to get out anyway.Ta for the help.
  7. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

If he wants quick advancement it IS there for the taking, provided he is clever, self disciplined, smart in appearance and shows leadership potential. It is great to have youngsters working for you who are keen and switched on with it and any half decent DO should get him selected at first possible opportunity. However, if he wants to go pissing up and shagging all the time......but it is still possible to get on if you work hard to match the play hard.
  8. Thats good to hear,hopefully he will get noticed for his potential and keeness.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

No probs. I left a higher paid job as a qualified quality control toolmaker at Ford Motor Co to join the RN. Categorically no regrets - not affluent by any means, but rich in contented life experience. £39K is a good wage for 20 year old - will he still have that job aged 40?
  10. I am a WE but our career path is the same as ME's. After completing Phase 2 Training and the relevant parts of your task book you are awarded an NVQ2 in Performing Engineering Operations. You have 3 years to complete this, but you should be able to do it within 6 months. You get Foundation Apprenticeship for this.

Promotion from ET to LET is very good at the moment due to lack of LET's. I was selected for LET after 2.5 years, I would say WE's get promoted quicker than ME's, because they have a lot more to learn. At the moment a lot of people are getting rated up around the 4-5 year service point. It all depends on how good your reports are.

After completing LET course we get a BTEC Level 3 Diploma in our relevant discipline, this takes about 12 months. After completion of LET course we get issued a Task Book to work towards an NVQ3 in Engineering Maintenance which you have 12 months to complete, I did it in 6 months. On successful completion of the LET career course, NVQ3 task book and OPS exam, you are award an Advanced Apprenticeship.

I achieved all this in just under 5 years and there are people that have done it quicker than me, but as I said earlier the WE branch is quicker and easier for promotion, however it's not impossible for the ME's to achieve this in a short time.

I did an advanced apprenticeship in engineering before I joined the Navy that took 4 years to complete. The training I've received from the Navy is far better than what I received in college. The facilities we have for training are fantastic, probably why Network Rail and EDF send their apprentices to be trained at Collingwood and Sultan.

its all down to the individual how fast they achieve things, if you show an interest people will go out of their way to help you.
    • Like Like x 5