etme advice

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by dlc85, Jul 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a few quick questions all replys appreicaited.

1, What are the pros and cons of a etme? (more time at sea? not as much down time? shore time when on ship?)

2, Are there any books that would give me a good basic knowledge of me? as i dont't have a vast knowledge of the subject.

3, how long should i expect to become a leading hand in this field?
  2. Hi,

The biggest pro is the fact that inbuilt into your professional training you will gain a foundation degree in Mechanical Engineering. You can even take this further and complete a full degree at the Navy's expense. So good prospects for a job after you leave the service. On completion of your 7 months' training you will go straight to sea; you will normally be drafted to your first ship for about 3 years. During this time you would normally complete your Task Book for Leading Hand and therefore probably be sent to Sultan to do your LET course. So minimum time to promotion will be 3/4 years. You don't need to have a vast understanding of Marine Engineering as we'll teach you. However, any previous experience of anything mechanical will help with your understanding of basic engineering terms and practices. I don't know of any specific books to read, but perhaps Ninja Stoker (or one of the other Stokery persons) will know some.

Hope this helps

Neil - Supermario

3. I'm currently in the process of taking my Navy test (logistic officer), but could someone state how much maths or how good your maths must be to succeed in etma. The reason i ask is a friend of mine has considered joining as a etme- but although he has a c at gcse maths his maths is not great at all.

Thank you!
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm not that good at maths myself, but do know that there are two o's in good. :thumright:
  5. he was asking about Maths not English :w00t:
  6. Hi,

When you sit the Recruit training test (Which you should have sat) there are differing marks for different branches within the RN. For the ET (ME) job you need to score approx half the total mark of 120 and approx half the mark in the maths section ie 15 out of 30

Hope that helps

7. Yeah i have already done my test but failed on the maths ( i copied the first part of my previous post from another post). Anyway, thanks for the marks info will pass that on.