Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by anotherUsername, Jan 22, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have googled and used search on the forums and came up with nothing. How do you address non commissioned ranks in the RN? I was an Army Cadet as a kid and still remember the common sense stuff. Officers And WO's as Sir or Mam ect. No idea on NCO or other ranks. I assume I will be instructed quickly at my PRNC and Raleigh on this. Prob best not to lead with "here! Bigman! Whats you name?".
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  2. By there rate. Leader, PO, chief and sir for wo's

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The only fly in the ointment to the above is Naval Police. With no logical reason beyond completely unnecessary intimidation, they rejoice in remonstrating with anyone who addresses them by their correct rate rather than their job title.
  4. Charge Chief?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Are there still PO (fishead types) who like to be called RS around?

6. The reason PO Communicatiors were called RS is because it stated on the B13 that they are promoted/advanced to the rate to Radio Supervisior. They were not promoted/advanced to PO.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

That'll be five quid to you, Sir.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. I think once on board you find plenty of people don't respond to their rate, but job title is substituted. Yeoman, Navs Yeo, Bosun, Cox (not a plural..), Chippy, SMR (pron. Smur), Joss, Capt (could be a 2-1/2 or 3 ringer), Jimmy (1st LT, who is probably a 2-1/2), PWO (Pee-wo) etc. If you were in a crowded bridge you use the officers rank/name eg "excuse me Lt. Fishook, sir," but if you are on the upper deck making a report, headgear on, you will need to salute as you do so, hold it until returned. If the recipient is the capt or jimmy in foulies, poss. no headgear, he may give you a response, instructions or information, then finish the sentence with "thankyou mr.noobjob" which is secret code for the conversation has ended, please buggeroff.

You could probably pick a lot of it up from an avergae episode of Star Trek, or by watching Master and Commander or Battle of the River Plate. Im only half kidding.

A lot depends on who is present, who might be in earshot, whether its your first meeting etc. One of the joys of Raleigh is being schooled loudly and by regular jogs to the fireschool on why its R-P-O, not PO, Master not Chief, even if the slimy git is hiding his crown just to snag nozzers. They do that.

Dont worry, your Div SR will tell you how to talk for the first week. But you will drop a bollock sooner or later. Its only shouting. And some extra phys. They dont charge, unlike Ninj......
  9. So were they officially RS's or PO's, sensible question I'm not taking the piss this time?

10. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

God help you if you called the GI PO :)
  11. I like to call them Joe :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Live dangerously!!!!!

Calling the Joss - Chief!!!!! Always good for a larfffffff!!!
  13. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Try Jane next time.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren
  14. I was quite happy if someone spoke to me :(
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Got a great windup on a Joss while doing the paperwork job on CDT. WO in charge said not to include anything branch specific in the rank box on the forms. Up walks a Joss for testing who got a right toot on when I filled his rank in as CPO. Almost made the whole day worthwhile.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Makes sense, thanks for the info. Extra pushups and training for mistakes aids learning...improves concentration I believe.

Sent from my ME301T using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  17. If your not making mistakes - your not trying hard enough!!!!
  18. Unless you work in PC world, trust me on that!

Sent from my ME301T using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  19. /Irony mode
  20. Or even, 'Morning Chief, nice watch'!! :)
    • Like Like x 3