Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by chrism_scotland, Jun 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been thinking about joining the Navy for a few years now and having finished University I find myself ever more interested in signing up.
    Having spent 4 years doing an Accounting degree I know that I don't want to do that as a career.
    I thought seriously about joining the navy at 18 but family were not too keen on it and I thought I would try uni, but I can't say I've enjoyed it.
    I'd rather do something hands-on and I would love to travel.

I have always been fascinated by submarines and my ideal role would be as a Submarine Engineering Technician, I was just wondering what promotion prospects are like in Engineering for a focused, dedicated, ambitious rating?

2. Do you want to join as an Officer or as a Rating?

I'm asking because you seemed to be considering Officer before ......
  3. I would consider Officer but as I would like to go into Engineering and as my degree is not engineering I have to join as a rating.
    I had considered joining as a Warfare Officer but I would much prefer engineering.

I have looked at the RFA Engineer Cadetship but I'm not sure that I really want to spend another 4 years at college.
  4. I've looked at the information on the Royal Navy Website and I had looked at the desciption of the role before, when it was still artificers rather than ET's.
    But what does a Submarine Weapons Technician Actually do?
    I know that they maintain weapons, etc as per the website but can any serving subbies shed some more light on the role.

5. Probably another one for Ninja or a recruiter but I have heard that there is less possibility of doing a few years in GS then going for Subs nowadays, is that true?
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Absolutely not. You can volunteer to become a submariner at any stage of your career.

If you volunteer for submariner from the outset, you will be a submariner. If you're not sure you may volunteer later.

Why not ask your AFCO to see if you can do a Submariners acquaint visit?
  7. I wasn't aware that there is the option of a submariners acquaint, but sounds a good idea.