ET (WSM)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by chrism_scotland, Jun 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been thinking about joining the Navy for a few years now and having finished University I find myself ever more interested in signing up.
    Having spent 4 years doing an Accounting degree I know that I don't want to do that as a career.
    I thought seriously about joining the navy at 18 but family were not too keen on it and I thought I would try uni, but I can't say I've enjoyed it.
    I'd rather do something hands-on and I would love to travel.

I have always been fascinated by submarines and my ideal role would be as a Submarine Engineering Technician, I was just wondering what promotion prospects are like in Engineering for a focused, dedicated, ambitious rating?

Regards

Chris

2. Do you want to join as an Officer or as a Rating?

I'm asking because you seemed to be considering Officer before ......

3. I would consider Officer but as I would like to go into Engineering and as my degree is not engineering I have to join as a rating.
    I had considered joining as a Warfare Officer but I would much prefer engineering.

I have looked at the RFA Engineer Cadetship but I'm not sure that I really want to spend another 4 years at college.

4. I've looked at the information on the Royal Navy Website and I had looked at the desciption of the role before, when it was still artificers rather than ET's.
    But what does a Submarine Weapons Technician Actually do?
    I know that they maintain weapons, etc as per the website but can any serving subbies shed some more light on the role.

Regards

Chris

5. Probably another one for Ninja or a recruiter but I have heard that there is less possibility of doing a few years in GS then going for Subs nowadays, is that true?

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Absolutely not. You can volunteer to become a submariner at any stage of your career.

If you volunteer for submariner from the outset, you will be a submariner. If you're not sure you may volunteer later.

Why not ask your AFCO to see if you can do a Submariners acquaint visit?

7. I wasn't aware that there is the option of a submariners acquaint, but sounds a good idea.