Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Scotty_UK, Mar 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Currently at the formal interview stage of my recruitment process.

Wishing to go in as an Engineering Technician - Weapons Engineer.

Anyone got any tips for the interview? I've got no previous engineering experience however I have always been interested how things are made and weapon systems work.

I've obviously done masses of research on the branch I'm wishing to join and the Royal Navy fleet e.g. Types of ships, operations etc.

Any help would be much appreciated!
  2. Thanks very much!
  3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Scotty, welcome to the site, put ETWE into to search box at the top right of the page and you'll get some bits and pieces to get you started

Good luck
  4. Think of ways you can demonstrate some technical ability. Tell them you were obsessed with Lego and Meccano when you were a kid, tell them how you always like to help your Dad change the oil on the car etc. Explain that you see the RN as a way of developing your engineering skills and taking your interest in the subject to the next level.

Leave out the part where you used to steal mopeds and ride them round fields and how you enjoy making remote detonation IEDs out of your little brother's remote control cars. While this may showcase your technical abilities, it might not help in this instance.

Worked for me.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Scotty, tell them that sleeping and watching Star Trek are your favourite hobbies and you'll be sorted!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Don't you have a shit tank to clean out and a nice warm pint of piss to lap up somewhere?

7. What HME did you prefer?
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

PE-7 was my preferred bouncy putty, great fun.

Back in the the olden days, Stokers used to be part of the ships demolition teams before someone invented Health and Safety and stuff.
  9. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Shit tank cleaning is soooo last year! As for the pint of piss, I'm trying to give up, but if you're buying.......
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Obviously (I think, or hope) by the time you had access to PE you had stopped stealing Mopeds and blowing up your little brothers cars? =D
    Hence the reason I was asking about HME, obviously 2DD could have had access to dodgy supplies ;P
  11. My first attempts at bombs usually involved fireworks and shotgun cartridges, later I progressed to volatile chemicals produced by mixing household cleaning products, before I eventually graduated to using stuff I 'borrowed' from the military.

There is still a very strong place in my heart for a firework fired through a piece of drain pipe though.
  12. Well, if you wernt on some sort of watch list before, you sure are now.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  13. I would have though you to have been of the age, that Garden products and things :)biggrin:) would have been your bag!
    I do share your love of drainpipes, every now and then the need for the "bag rat orange- drainpipe mortar for the use of" has to be given an airing.
    So simple yet so pleasing!

14. Pedant mode....

PE7? Is that like PE4. That must have lots of brisance!!
  15. Nah PE 7 was used for blowing up in ME 7..and why was it called floor polish instead for deck polish..they loved me on the ship's husbandry course.
  16. There is a PE7 coming into service is there not? I just assumed it was a typo, or called PE7 by the RN many many moons ago (no offence Ninja). :biggrin:
  17. Last I heard, when PE4 stocks run out we were buying yank C4. However having used it, it's shit. Less pliable and less punch (brisance). Commercially I have never heard of PE7, but always happy to be corrected.

I thought NS used gunpowder and added his own piss for extra zip????
  18. Given that I've never met a non "Grog rat" stoker, that would be one sour mash with some zip!

Maybe I heard wrong on PE7, only ever used PE4 for blowing blinds. No doubt it will down to the cheaper option even if there is a new version available.