ET(ME)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Superhands, Jan 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As an ET(ME) is it possible to pick up any vocational qualification such as an electrician or plumbing? I know from the website and the AFCO that you may be able to get a foundation degree later in your career but with the work MEs do it would seem like they would use qualified tradesmen. I forgot to ask about this last time I was at the AFCO but would really like to know.

2. All ET training is designed to give accredited training (from NVQs at ETs, Advanced apprenticeship as LETs, FD as POs...) at each stage of your career. There are opportunities to pick up trade skills (outboard motor mechanic, refrigerant system maintenance, etc). AFAIK there is no plan at the moment to teach 17th ed wiring (domestic wiring & not directly relevant to the systems onboard) but I guess it could aid recruiting/retention if we did.

3. No you don't get training to be a plumber or civvy Electrician.

There is nothing stopping you from taking a 17th Edition exam though for instance, although you will pay for it because it isn't for the good of pusser :)

4. The upside of this is that you do get an annual training allowance. You could use this towards the cost of a 17th edition course. This can normally be taken during evenings at Local Tech. So the qualification may cost you nothing, or very little.

5. Good point Slim, I didn't say anything about the Learning Credits because I'm not sure if they can be used for this sort of thing.

Best bet is to speak to the unit Education and Resettlement Officer, usually the Bish if you have one onboard permanently or if not, then one of the two ringers.

6. I could be wrong Lamri but from recent posts it seems that the credits can be used towards driving lesssons, if this is the case i would have thought that a civilian qualification which is also useful in trade should qualify.
    I used my allowances to get my ONC when I was in (that was of course when electricary was in it's infancy)

7. Just had a thought.
    If the 17th Edition is covered by the allowance it is certainly worth ALL sparkies doing it.
    At present there is a shortage of Electricians in civvie street with the qualification.
    Now I am not advocating anyone leaving the RN, however that bit of paper could help get some lucrative work during leave periods.

8. YOU try getting on a 17th course!!
    :D

9. I know that the course is new and has taken over fron16th edition. However most educational establishments will increase the number of courses if demand is high enough.
    The courses are also fairly short duration and run fairly frequently, so put your name down for the next course, difficult for someone serving on a ship though.

10. Tell me about it.
    Fully booked until after March down here too!

11. Thanks for the answers fellas, one more question though. I understand you dont get the actuall civilian qualifactons but do you pick up the knowledge and skills required to pass one of these tests your are talking about, i.e you could do the same job as a sparky you just dont have the formal qualifications?

12. If you haven't got the qualifications then I would assume that you cannot get the liability insurance therefore you can't do the job ;)

13. Most companies get around this by employing 1 qualified guy to oversee and sign off the work of any unqualified sparkies. I imagine plumbers do the same.

14. Yes but that 1 qualified guy is in charge of 10 Poles merrily earning minimum wage :thumright:

15. I can understand that, I wouldnt trust a plumber or sparky who didnt have any qualifications either :thumright: . I just wanted to know if you could learn about those trades whilst in the navy even if officially you are not qualified as one, it just seems like a useful skill to have.

16. What you learn as an ET is "real" engineering in a real world context. Working with electrical or mechanical systems in a practical, needs fixing/maintaining now or we don't "float/move/fight", context...the tools, techniques and safety processes that let you do it without hurting yourself or anyone else.
    What we don't learn, necessarily, is all the bureaucracy and legislation relevant to civvy tradesman....but that's not difficult to pick up. It's the practical skills and the "nouse" that you gain as a clanky or greeny that's useful.
    The RN wants practical technicians, as it happens it gives the skills that are easily transferable to civvy street but might need a short course to translate them to civvy quals.

17. Perhaps you should just get on with joining and worry about qualifications in the couple of years before you eventually leave. Qualifications change like the weather and tend to be "perishable", but your value to the outside world, when you finally leave, is what you've actually done.

18. Thanks, thats all i wanted to know.

19. I agree with the above but would still recommend furthering your education by using the annual education allowance.
    First get your RN qualifications, then if you do not have GCSEs take Maths and English.
    As a matter of interest it would be nice to know the percentage or ratings that actually use their education allowance.

20. Ah, but did you know that wiring a house for example is a lot different to wiring a boat/ship? The circuitry is totally different...I did 16th ed...can't imagine 17th is much different, just 16th with latest updates etc. What the civvy course teaches you is how to read the book. The RN gives you the experience and the nous how to apply what you know in a new theatre/area and so adapt your knowledge accordingly...