ET(ME) vs UGAS

kxvbac

Midshipman
Hey all,

I'm thinking of applying for one of these 2 roles, but I have a few questions.

1. I'm assuming that UGAS is exclusively for submariners?

2. I know that if you apply for UGAS, your application goes through as ET(MESM) with a chance to go onto the UGAS scheme if you pass the interview. If you fail the interview, is it possible to carry on your application but to the surface fleet as ET(ME) or would you have to start all over again if you wanted to do that?

3. The role you get at the end of UGAS is still ET(MESM) right? But you are just fast tracked to Petty Officer and gain a degree along the way? If you join as a normal ET(ME) you are still on your way to the same role? It will just take longer?

4. If you do enter as ET(ME), are there any chances to get a degree in engineering? Or a foundation degree that you can top up yourself?

Also would you mind typing things out fully in your answers and not using much slang?

I don't know much of it yet and a lot of previous threads have confused me.

Thanks a lot.

LateToTheParty

Lantern Swinger
I originally applied for UGAS but I wasn't allowed to use my engineering nvq's as an equivancy for a levels, this resulted in me continuing my application but as an ET(MESM) as I was told would have the same oppertunities but will take a few years longer. There is also a chance to get picked up for fast track LET(MESM) once you get to ph2 training.

kxvbac

Midshipman
In addition, could you be funnelled into MESM or WESM regardless of what you want to do?

Or would you definitely get to choose?

WreckerL

War Hero
You either join as a ME(SM) or WE(SM), your choice, you won't get press ganged into another branch*

*The Navy wait until your in the fleet before they do a branch shuffle and you end up with a different badge on your arm.

kxvbac

Midshipman
What do you mean by this?

Does this mean you can be changed against your will or not?

Does this apply to the UGAS scheme too?

So there are 2 UGAS schemes? One for MESM and one for WESM?

Al1902

Midshipman
kxbac,

I'm currently in the middle of my application for UGAS (ME) - Confirmed medical date. When I applied back in November, the website had two applications i.e. WUGAS (Weapon) & NUGAS (Nuclear/Marine). Now they have combined the two which is quite confusing. Basically from the outset, you will be able to tell your careers officer whether you're applying for marine or weapon engineer. This does make a difference, because from what I understand, a Marine applicant will eventually gain a marine engineering FD (foundation degree) & a Weapon Engineering applicant will gain a FD in electrical engineering etc, etc. Hope this helps.

WreckerL

War Hero
What do you mean by this?

Does this mean you can be changed against your will or not?

Does this apply to the UGAS scheme too?

So there are 2 UGAS schemes? One for MESM and one for WESM?
It was a tongue in cheek comment, occasionally the navy re-structures the branches. I joined the Ordnance Electrical Branch (no longer exists), the Navy had a re-structure and I ended up in the Marine Engineering (Electrical) branch but doing the same job, just a different branch badge and title (and no, I didn't have a choice as I was a nuclear trained submariner).

Sumo

War Hero
*The Navy wait until your in the fleet before they do a branch shuffle and you end up with a different badge on your arm.
It's about time you got over being chucked out of the elite WE branch & made into a clanky stoker electrical :eek::D

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hey all,

I'm thinking of applying for one of these 2 roles, but I have a few questions.

1. I'm assuming that UGAS is exclusively for submariners?

2. I know that if you apply for UGAS, your application goes through as ET(MESM) with a chance to go onto the UGAS scheme if you pass the interview. If you fail the interview, is it possible to carry on your application but to the surface fleet as ET(ME) or would you have to start all over again if you wanted to do that?

3. The role you get at the end of UGAS is still ET(MESM) right? But you are just fast tracked to Petty Officer and gain a degree along the way? If you join as a normal ET(ME) you are still on your way to the same role? It will just take longer?

4. If you do enter as ET(ME), are there any chances to get a degree in engineering? Or a foundation degree that you can top up yourself?

Also would you mind typing things out fully in your answers and not using much slang?

I don't know much of it yet and a lot of previous threads have confused me.

Thanks a lot.
1. Yes, but... The accelerated apprentice scheme offers the same starting wage (£31,100), is available for those serving general service (ships) , offers rapid advancement and the opportunity to study to foundation degree or to degree in your own free time. It is open to Air Engineering Technicians, Marine & Weapons.You need to be aged 17 to 25
  • You need to be aged 17 to 25
  • If you take your GCSEs after the start of 2017, you need 3 at grades 9 – 4, including English Language, Maths and at least one science; before 2017, you need 3 at grades A*– C
  • National Qualifications Framework Level 3 Diploma (120 credit) in Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Electrical/Electronic Engineering with a minimum grade of ‘Merit’
UGAS:
  • You’ll need to be aged 18-34 on entry
  • If you take your GCSEs after the start of 2017, you need 5 at grades 9 – 4, including English Language, Maths and at least one science; before 2017, you need 5 at grades A*– C
  • If you take your A-levels after the start of 2017, you need 64 UCAS points gained through Level 3 STEM qualifications (BTEC, A/A2/AS or equivalents) in an engineering discipline, or maths and at least one other physical science, engineering, or computing subject. Before 2017, you need 160 UCAS points.

2. UGAS or Accelerated Apprentices who fail a selection element will be offered the option of joining as ET(ME), ET(MESM), ET(WE), ET(WESM) or AET, if they otherwise remain eligible.

3. UGAS & Accelerated Apprentices gain accelerated advancement to Leading Rate, thereafter, advancement is in competition with all other eligible Leading Rates in that branch.

4. Yip, ELCAS: http://www.enhancedlearningcredits.com/