ET-ME or ET-WE ?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ben_rn, Feb 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, have my RT coming up and im struggling to decide whether to do ME or WE. Can anybody give me any sort of insight to either job? Just looking for something to aid my decision!

And before the misery brigade come and say "use the search bar" i have and i've used google but not found anything to really help me. Thanks in advance.

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Misery here, I've just typed ET ME in the search box and got 10 pages of replies should be something there about it.

3. OMM

OMM War Hero

ME Mechanics
    WE Electronics
    Both job descriptions on the Navy website, surely you've been on there.....right?

4. Not quite true, ME(L)'s have a lot of electronics in engine control systems plus a multitude of other gear plus WE's have the big bang sticks (and weapon discharge systems on boats) which use a lot of hydraulics and air sytems (HP air is how you get shot of the weapon on boats) so there is a branch cross-over.

5. OMM

OMM War Hero

Thanks for confusing the matter Wrecker...

Read up on the navy website and decide for yourself, it's your decision not ours.

But I would go with WE as that's what i've joined as, best to start the 'my trade is the best trade' attitude now! :shakefist:

6. Wrecks you only did 30 years, what the **** would you know???

• Like Like x 1
  7. OMM

OMM War Hero

Was about to say Navy service must make everyone bitter but then I saw it was you frogman and realised you were just born that way :boogie:

I'm only joking, not saying I don't believe him jheez

8. Both are good jobs and both involve getting your hands on a wide variety of state of the art kit. Your engineering ability will be tested to extremes as either an ME or a WE.

Choosing between the two boils down to a few basic multiple choice questions:

How do you feel about drinking other men's urine?
    A. Not cool.
    B. **** yeah!

Do you masturbate furiously while watching Science fiction?
    A. Mmmmmm Princess Leya.
    B. Science Fiction is shit.

Do guns excite you?
    A. I possibly see myself shooting up a school full of kids one day.
    B. You mean my biceps right? Massive!

Does the idea of spending 12 hours in every 24 asleep, appeal to you?
    A. Zzzzzzzzzzzz.
    B. I have no time for sleep.

Does faeces bother you? How do you feel about cleaning out the shit tanks on a ship full of 300 blokes?
    A. I don't like poo.
    B. Two's up on your sweetcorn shippers.

Mostly A's - Congratulations you'll fit in perfectly as a member of the Weapons Engineering branch. Your pit is this way.

Mostly B's - Unlucky shippers, looks like you'll be spending your career below the waterline, stinking of oil, you can expect to die of an asbestos related illness before you reach 50.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Do ME's really clean the poo tanks? :(

• Like Like x 1
  10. OMM

OMM War Hero

A B B A A....... Oh god!

11. Of course they do. Who do you think does it.

12. Never really thought about it to be fair, no wonder him next door never mentions what hes been up to at work :p

13. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Extremely rare for them to do it on skimmers, it's usually contracted out to civvy companies like Marlin.
    But. to be honest shit isn't so bad to work with. Piss is far worse and grey water....well that is the most stinking thing you will ever come across.:pukel:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  14. That all sounds delightful :( im going in as a writer so im hoping the only shite ill have to deal with is the metaphorical kind!

15. I'm sure the fabled phantom shitter will visit your desk at some point in your career.

16. Must admit I was surprised at the smell of shit in quantity during my three days working on the drains for PCC. Quite a sweet smell, not shitty at all. Not that I'd roll around in it mind you.

17. I fondly recall the aft STP on Exeter being completely fucked, as such it required a bi-monthly scoop out.

The lads who worked chippy's party just permanently stank of musty poo.

Yum.

18. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

All character building stuff and nothing a good clanky would be too perturbed by.

19. Agree with you there Tiddly, never had any qualms about going down the shit tank, but the slop drain tank....there was things living in there, I'm sure of it. Accumulated grease and fat, all the manky water from the scuppers, sinks and showers, nicely topped up with shredded waste food from the galley :shock:
    :pale:

20. Keep up!

No M, Ls, ELs, MLs, P, H, OC, etc any more. They are all just common ME, WE or Air. Things have moved on under PCP but they may be moving back.....

Amongst other things we need to review the boundaries between ME and WEs once again.